2022 Gear: Hits and Misses

I’ll try but I don’t remember everything I bought this year. Was it this year or at the end of last year? Anyways, they’re all Hits.

• Bim, Bam, Boum
  • miniKORG 700FS
  • Vermona Retroverb Lancet
  • Prophet Rev2
  • Manikin Memotron
  • Syntakt
8 Likes

We still have 30% of the year to go, but I don’t anticipate buying anything more this year (in transition to a new living situation) so can reasonably answer now. My pace of acquisition slowed considerably from 2021 (thankfully) but there were still some real hits and no real misses.

Norand Mono: wasn’t on my radar until I spotted a great package deal here with the item just below. It turned out to be amazingly playable, with a wide sonic range and a well-thought-out UI.

Analog Heat mk2: already had the mk1 (now passed on to a fellow Elektronaut). Same great sound, nice big screen.

Modular is more of a niche interest here, but for those who indulge, my few purchases this year were definite hits: the Stochastic Inspiration Generator for fine control over generative sequencing, the compact FM powerhouse that is Bastl Pizza, and the Versio DSP platform, with a bunch of intriguing firmwares I’m still working my way through. Also a Pod64x case, which let me take these and a few more modules with me for my months without a real home.

4 Likes

Hits:

• Timeline delay - Forgot I got this in 2022 because it feels like it’s always been there given the familiarity of workflow. Very usable for me but I may be in the shimmery minority here. Nice to have the Stryfecta complete now.
  • Opsix - Lots of fun knob twirling within 15 minutes of arrival. Hope Korg brings it back even better as this is a classic.
  • Wavestate - Any machine with multiple presets with space themed names on it is probably something I need to have in my studio. Also the various “hold 30s” long evolving ones. Going to have lots of time with the two Korgs soon so I can space it up even more.

Slight misses:

• I probably could have held off upgrading my V Collection for longer as I’m not really using Augmented Strings/Voices as much as I thought I would. They are also resource hogs on my old computer.

Bonus hit:

• I talked my spouse into getting a Syntakt and it’s been a huge success. If I can sell one more box to someone I think :3lektron: will send me a free toaster :rofl:
3 Likes

As someone that began the year with that pledge and swiftly withdrew, me too!

Hits:

1. Elektron Syntakt
Currently my mothership, not only providing awesome Model:Cycles + FAT analogue sounds, but also as a sequencer for whatever else I pair with it. Very very happy with this box.

2. Roland JU-06A
I tried the newer JX-08 earlier, but the envelope section was too fiddly for switching between parts or between amp/filter. The JU-06A is a degree simpler, but holy moly is it drenched in that old school sound.
I’m sold on virtual analogue. It’s like I have two little Junos now, what were previously unobtanium for me.

3. Roland T-8
This little guy has been my travel companion for work and has been great for a quick acid session in the car on lunch breaks.

Miss:

1. MC-707
Wound up selling this. I liked it well enough, but always felt like a chore to configure in a way I liked with the menus. I’m sure it really clicks for many people, but the more I used it, the more I realized I prefer an Elektron machine as my hub. Great sounds. Not so great interaction in my case.

2. MIDI controllers
I’ve tried a handful of MIDI controllers this year, and I’ve concluded that I actually don’t need one. Beatstep, iRig Keys 2, Launchpad Pro…
A few different approaches that take up unnecessary space and have functions that I’m already covering with what I’ve got. I would really like to try a Torso T1 someday though.

3. Roland JX-08
As stated above, I ran into headaches switching between editing parts, and the amp/filter section specifically. I liked a lot of its capabilities, and the multitimbral ability is great. Problem is a lot of the music I make is a result of me making patches and building off of them, and unfortunately designing sounds on it was a little too cumbersome for me. Sold to replace with JU-06A.

Undecided:

Yamaha Reface DX
I’m a huge FM fan even if I don’t really know what I’m doing half the time. This keyboard has been great for helping me learn keys and actually feels good for the size, but I prefer keeping just one synth paired with the Syntakt at a time. And at the moment, that’s the baby Juno. I do often bust the DX out stand alone to practice keys and sound design. Still tempted by Korg’s Opsix though. Looks to be even more immediate.

3 Likes

What about the Ottobit Jr’s ins and outs didn’t work for you?

1 Like

Hits:

1. Empress Zoia - All around awesome

2 & 3. M:C and M:S are definitely hits. Though I am ready for the next tier of Elektrons now, I have made some excellent work with these fabulous machines.

1. Line 6 DL4 MKII
  2. Nord Drum 3P
  3. Koala Sampler
  4. Completed PO collection (first 9 only)
  5. Keylab 49 (Needed Keys and extra mappable controls for my Elektrons/Zoia)
  6. Expression Slider and Ramper from OBNE)

Misses:

1. So far, the Roland MV-1 Verselab. Though it did just receive a long awaited update, it’s menu-dive city and it’s MIDI UI is silly ass backwards.
4 Likes

It’s not only stuff that came out in 2022, right? Just stuff I bought.

Hit:

• Korg Opsix
  • FMR RNC
  • Polyend Tracker
  • Meris Ottobit Jr.

The Tracker is going to be my travel instrument – I love trackers in general and the ease of powering this is really appealing to me. Opsix is a playground capable of some gnarly ass sounds that you would have never guessed from demos. The RNC is what it says it is, a really nice compressor.

Miss:

• 1010 Nanobox Lemondrop

I think the Lemondrop is very capable, but I just did not dig the interface with the two knobs. I never felt like using it, which is really strange. I bet I’ll eventually regret selling it though, because I love granular synthesis.

4 Likes

Adding to this thread as a way to encourage myself to not get anything else for the rest of the year.

First off, I re-bought two Elektrons in 2022: Digitakt and Analog Four (got a mk2 this time). Both are hits, mostly because I actually know how to use them this time around. The Digitakt used to feel clunky but is now my fastest/easiest beat machine; the A4 used to feel intimidating but now lulls me into a meditative state while programming it. Just awesome machines.

The rest of my purchases were Eurorack modules. Here were the highlights:

Random Source Serge VCFQ — Pinging this filter is my favorite pastime.

Acid Rain Maestro — The modulation source I always dreamed of. DAW-like automation in Eurorack form, even faster to program and more jammable than a DAW. Brilliant use of 20hp.

VPME Euclidean Circles and QD — A drum machine in two modules. So much fun and so easy to get great sounds/patterns going.

Mutable Instruments Beads — It’s reverb, delay, beat repeater, lo-fi/tape effects, pitch-shifting, granular, and also a wavetable synth. With built-in modulation. I can’t get bored of it.

various Instruo 4hp utilities (Vinca, Tain, Eas) — These look great and have proven to be extremely useful for opening up all kinds of functionality. They’re also very hands-on with nice visual feedback so they’re pretty exciting as utilities go.

3 Likes

Hits:

• RE-303: This is build-specific, but it checks off the box of a 303 who’s longevity I don’t have to worry too much about. Sounds great. The Sonic Potions sequencer is better than the Roland, but still nowhere as nice as something like an Avalon or Norand Mono sequencer.

• Portabella: Does what it looks like it’s supposed to do, and sounds awesome doing it.

• Fenix II-D: I’ve wanted a Fenix since I first discovered the AH mailing list. It delivers.

Misses:

• TD-3-MO: Same reason I couldn’t get on with a Devilfish…it’s just a little too far out of range from the original. Might keep it anyway since the weird-bleepy-sound-to-price-ratio is good.

• JP-8080: Same issue as last time. Love the sound, and I should love the interface, but as before, I just didn’t gel with it.

• Norand Mono: Love the sequencer, dislike the core sound…it has its place, it just wasn’t what I was after at that moment. Also don’t like synths that have deep modulation that is (mostly) hidden from you once you set up the modulation. If they ever do a v2 with a screen to help keep track of the modulation and dial in precise values, I’ll probably revisit it.

Neutral to Positive:

• Avalon: Had one years ago, the sound didn’t quite hit the sweet spot for me. Decided to get on the final production run list anyway, and picked up a second-hand unit while I wait. Still absolutely love the sequencer, and the sound still feels almost there for me. Will probably sell one on once the new units ship.

• Tanzbar: Love the sound, but the non-intuitive sequencer is not my favorite. Not that it’s difficult to work with, but it’s idiosyncratic in a way that unless you use it every day, you have to spend 15 minutes messing about with it and paging through the manual every time you pick it up. Definitely keeping it.

• MC-202: Ignoring the obvious idiosyncrasies of the sequencer, it’s just vintage equipment issues and honesty among sellers that is the problem here. I picked up two of them, from different sellers, in different condition (one of them literally box-fresh), both with clean and likely unused battery compartments, both supposedly working perfectly. Both of them not at all working perfectly, and both having multiple obvious issues that needed fixing. No matter how reasonably priced a second-hand 202 seems, the seller is still asking too much…negotiate them down.

1 Like

Mono in, stereo out. i haven’t encountered that in any other gear. maybe i’m misunderstanding the setup, but i was always wanting to use it with gear with stereo outs.

Knowing what I know of you as an Elektronaut, i think you owe it to yourself to take a look at the SE-3X. or at least the Boomstar lineup. But the SE-3X is like all the Boomstars in one unit (4 different filters) , plus it’s 3 voice paraphonic.

Here’s a taste:

2 Likes

I use this pedal with stereo in and stereo out. I guess you can do mono in, but I usually prefer to preserve the stereo information. Especially with that sample rate reduction, you can get some interesting harmonics, and all in stereo!

There is one detail about stereo: when you activate the stutter, stereo is gone. Both channels are summed while stuttering.

1 Like

So do you just use a 2:1 adapter to go stereo in? I wish I could have made it work. It’s a nice pedal.

2 Likes

That should work yeah, or a TRS jack does it.

2 Likes

Hits:

• Syntakt - I was sure on release that it wasn’t for me; I noticed I wasn’t digging into the Cycles as much as it needed, and realised the screen was too small for me. Found a great Syntakt deal and traded up. So glad I did. It’s just so quick and I love the tone. It’s mostly my “fidget toy” synth, but I love knowing that if i treated it less casually, it’s be a backbone instrument. The comments about it needing more machines amuse me because I’m confident I could make good tracks with just the SY Bits and the AFX.
  • Chase Bliss Mood - it’s nuts in the most gorgeous way
  • Cioks DC-7: so handy; love the build; love the features

Misses

• Korg SQ-1: - I bought it to animate my MS-20, but it just hasn’t clicked. The interface felt fiddly and I think I prefer playing the synth’s knobs.

I got a couple of other “headline” items this year: a grey A4 and a Boum. Still not given them enough time to know if they’re for me. Really enjoying knowing I have worlds to explore. Will report back next year.

2 Likes

Hits:
TE TX-6. It is a studio for everywhere.
TE. Line module. For OP-Z. It makes the TX even better for complex mixing .
Boss RE-2 space echo it is a space echo! :yum:
Roland JD 08. Great sequencer and very nice flashback generator.

Misses:
Non.

2 Likes

Yeah, I just use like a TRS insert cable. Stereo is fine and I didn’t think it was that noteworthy, other than the stutter detail i mentioned. Maybe you had a defective one?

1 Like

Oh yes forgot the green Line Module for op-z. Absolute hit and a must have if you own an op-z.

I got started with electronic music this year and sort of went headlong into it, so from an amateur-beginner and exploratory angle,

Hits:

Syntakt: this is just a smile machine for me, and exploring the fx block has added a really fun performance layer and fx design aspect on top of what’s already an immediate groove machine that rewards exploration.

Mother-32/DFAM: the sound is just everything I’d hoped it’d be, and I really enjoy the constraint of playing and patching them stand-alone.

The other gear I got this year I’m keeping, but I feel like I’m lower on the learning curve with them, and fully focus on them less often:

Digitakt (immediately useful as a midi hub /sequencer and for learning a bit about sampling, but Syntakt has been much more immediate and fun),

Nymphes (lovely sounds and flexible, and sounds match the Moog system nicely, but the patch memory is a chore to keep track of, and I don’t feel like I’ve been able to make the most of it yet),

0-Coast (a recent gift I’m still scratching the surface with, feel like I’d have waited before getting it myself, but excited about the potential.)

2023 will be my no-gear year!

6 Likes

What does it do for you that’s so essential? I love my op-z and am v curious!