2021 Gear Purchase: Hits & Misses

My 2021:

MicroMonsta2: Mega hit! Love the sound, love the UI, love the size
BitWig: Bit hit. Never opened Ableton again.
Dirtywave M8: Played around with the headless version a lot, just got the real unit and loving it.
Numark Mixstream Pro: Bit hit. Love to be able to do some “DJing” without being bound to my Notebook and my Desk.

AKG K712 Pro: My old headphones broke, bought new ones. Like them
MPC One: No hit but no miss also. I use it way to less, but have fun jamming it from time to time.

Circuit Track: Miss. It’s still a Circuit. Sure, the Midi part is an enhancement, and I like the new form factor more, but it is still not for me

Biggest of all hits in 2021: Bought a dog. I knew that I missed something all the years of not being able to have one, but my lord, did I underestimated how much I missed.

19 Likes

Are you sure, you weren’t just hearing some bad mix decisions, made with your old interface?

absolutely sure, sounded like mud

Ok. Weird for them to screw up so badly.

It’s not a case of bad mix decisions. I’m generally dissatisfied when I listen to mixes later on. It’s a simple matter of sounds just not being there anymore. There were details in the bass, slight distortions and movements that were just absent with the Presonus and overall the sound just wasn’t as good, had less sparkle and seemed uninteresting.

I really want to get a cat but I’m scared the government has plans to take pets away at a their discretion… I’m not even joking. Having a beloved cat taken away is a fate worse than death… worse even than losing a girlfriend. I couldn’t bear having a beloved cat taken away.

Dunno in what country you are living, but why should the government do that?

I think you should get a cat. You’ll both be fine.

9 Likes

Unsure:
Model:Cycles - Bit of an impulse buy when it when on sale. I think it’s fun but it hasn’t had a lot of use since the weekend it arrived. The single LFO and lack of attack envelope kind of kills it for me. I quite like the sound though so maybe a Digitone would be fun? I find the form factor and the complexity of the Digitakt to be a real sweet-spot.

Sony TC-377 Reel to Reel -Watched too many ambient tape videos on youtube so I caught the portastudio GAS real hard. The prices on those are pretty silly to me though so I went for the cheapest 2-track on Facebook Marketplace.
It might be my unit but it’s quite fiddly and generally a bit of a pain to use. Tried doing some sound on sound looping which was a pretty frustrating experience. Going to keep trying, though!

2022:
Still going to keep an eye out for a portastudio.
Considering a DN but I generally use samples way more in my music. Which brings me to the Octatrack. I really, really want an OT - but I’m worried about spending an irresponsible (for me) amount of cash on something so polarising. Someone convince me, please!

I really enjoy reading this thread (didn’t think I would at first), so here is my contribution. I’ve been back into making music in 2020-2021 after a several years break, so quite a lot of fun rebuilding the studio so to say.

Hits :

Elektron Machinedrum. A while ago I had a mk2 UW/+Drive and didn’t click with it (I was then the eurorack kind of person). I found the sound was a bit cold and sterile, as some people say. Used it on a track or two and sold it (mostly for chopped voice samples, so…). A few months ago, I was lured into the Machinedrum again when I heard of os X, and found a mint mk2 (no UW). What an great device. I love the sound (this time), the user experience is perfect. I agree with what is often said : it really feels like an instrument, more than a tool. Because of this, I don’t really feel it has any « limitation » (a violin sure cannot sound like a piano, but that is no limitation), as compared, for example, with my Digitakt, which feels like a (formidable, I think) tool, with some annoying limitations. The two works very well together (thank you Digitakt’s conditionnal trigs and stuff, thank you Machinedrum song mode). Also, I realized that, though I am a lot into synthesis, for some reason I have always been relying on samples when it comes to drum sounds. Well, this is over. Took me some time. Plus, this has freed my Digitakt for more creative samples mangling / texturing.

Nord Modular G1. I don’t think it’s necessary to explain how great that is. In the past, had three micromodulars, a nord modular rack. I am happy I found the keys version. Also, pretty cute. I am still wondering why the nord modular concept don’t seem to have any legacy. It seems to me people would jump on it, but I might be wrong.

SSL Six. I didn’t think that I would ever think of a mixer has one of my favorite piece of gear, but that happened. Indredible flexibility, ease of use, like everyone says.

Ferrofish Pulse 16 / RME Digiface combo. Works well with the SSL Six. I don’t know how people can do without Total Mix.

Moog Subharmonicon. From times to times I think : well, I don’t know, maybe it’s a bit limited, etc. ; end then something beautiful and unexpected comes out of it. I am thinking I should get a DFAM.

Norand Mono. Kinda the opposite of the Subharmonicon sound wise. Screaming and raucous, modulate everything. Filter FM. Probably a bit expensive, and I think I am not a fan of the envelopes shapes, but still. Designed in Vannes where I spend my holidays by the sea.

Not sure :

Sonicware ELZ 1. There is a lot to love about it. Nice form factor, portable, some curious synth engines (very well laid out FM engine, where the succession of the algorithms makes sense, for once). But, despite the numerous firmaware upgrades, still lacking in the modulation department. That with the fact that it doesn’t respond to midi cc’s makes for quite a static / not very expressive sound generator. Wondering if I should sell it. On the other hand it does some sounds that my others synths don’t. Though I think I don’t love 8 bit that much. Oh, well.

No real definitive misses for me this year. End of 2020 miss, though : Polyend Tracker.

You bought a dog? From a breeder?

May I ask what kind of dog it is?

Hits

• A patchbay. And then another patchbay. Get a patchbay, people!
  • Meris Mercury 7 reverb. Only 2 types of reverb, but really beautiful.
  • Empress Echosystem. I already had a Polymoon and it’s still my go-to delay pedal, but with the Echosystem I have a lot more possibilites. Still learning how to use it…
  • Abstrakt Instruments Avalon. It’s a great 303, but I’m not sure about the 1200$… I could have bought 12 MAM MB33 for that price. Or 3 Cyclones.

Misses

• MXR distortion+ 104 for my Avalon. Didn’t like it, I’ll stick to the RAT.
3 Likes

I am all for golden retrievers.

4 Likes

My hit for 2022 will be people not turning every thread into a post apocalyptic rap battle about who’s the rightiest.

22 Likes

Yes, but does it have aftertouch?

1 Like

And a new hit

Torso t1 - only just got this but after an hour with it this morning I think it will be my last minute hit for 2021. Very hands on and already worked out the basics. Feels like it goes a lot deeper though

Model cycles - again, this has just arrived and was using it sequenced by the t1. Early days but I like the sound and hands on tweaking of each track.

1 Like

I did exactly this this year, I think I forgot to put it on my list. It sounded fine, but covered everything below where the RAT started. If I wanted to warm it up a bit and add a sight crunch then fine, but I’m more of a sonic annihilation guy, so RAT it will be, always.

1 Like

top combo, I got the same. I sold my mixer when I got this, I mix itb. intrigued about ssl mixer.
may I ask how the mixer fits into your setup? thanks

Another miss for me is the Octatrack. I bought it mostly for self generative ambient fun. Then i got bored.(which i do very quickly). But i think our paths may meet again one day.

Polyphonic aftermath