2020 gear purchase: Hits & Misses

Hit:

Roland System100m D set - hands down the nicest modular system I have ever used, and I have used a lot, aside from the stability and great sound, the layout and overall design is simply perfect, it has such precision you won’t believe, it is to modular what the SH-101 is to monosynths as far as user interface is concerned, for the current prices they are a rare true vintage Roland bargain IMHO. I wanted one for years, I sold the System500 and Aira FX modules to pay towards it and even though I liked those they are not missed.

Roland MC-101 - I had dismissed it as being a bit too lacking in depth and not been interested, perhaps that was the case in earlier firmwares, I’m not really into using presets so I skipped it, but not as of 1.06 with sample import, random tone generation, the sequencer additions and soundpack support. It is like a little pocket studio of great Roland sounds, and lots more besides, for the price of 3 Volcas or other budget gear, very good value for money. I love Roland Micro Composer sequencing since MC-4b and MC-101 doesn’t disappoint in this. 4 tracks yeah, but drum tracks can have 16 sounds, each pad can be independently muted, and pad mute states persist across scenes, I think I’d have preferred the option to store pad mutes in scenes as well though.
Probably the most satisfying groovebox I ever used, ideas just flow with it, you do have to get passed the learning curve but it isn’t too difficult, once you get it things are very quick and simple, surprisingly so IMHO. In some ways it is better than the…

Miss:
Roland MC-707 - I had one for a few days earlier in the year when the firmware was less featured, it also had a dsp fault, the main reason I purchased it at the time was for an audio clips launcher, I discovered that only 62 seconds were available for looper tracks, not the whole 6/12 minutes if memory, this and the fault meant I returned it.

Until 5 months later

Hit:
Roland MC-707 - After having the 101 and really enjoying it decided to try 707 again, again the new firmware adds a lot, although the daft 62 seconds of looper memory still applies, but this time I am more interested in its other features, currently I am still well within the return window but so far it feels like a hit, I’m not sure if I didn’t have the 101 that I’d have bothered again, but the fact that 101 projects can be loaded in is a great move on Rolands part, they work very well together. Remarkably some of the 101 functions seem a little less direct in the 707 but it could just be a case of getting used to them. Sound quality is very nice, exactly as 101, sampling is pretty ok quite similar to Digitakt but with almost double the sample time (62s max) and of course stereo and polyphonic. Definitely doesn’t have the sample manipulation functions of Digitakt though, so the comparison ends there. Very fast to get ideas down, great layout, a bit big for my taste at 4x the footprint of the 101, but more of a studio player anyway.

Hit:
Printed manuals - PDFs on tablet/computer are ok and have their place, but for me they are no substitute for a proper printed, spiral bound manual, so I bit the bullet and got ARmkII, OTmkII, Digitone, MC-101, MC-707 manuals printed professionally. I wish that they were included in the price - more so than the pretty but fairly useless flashy colour printed cardboard boxes that gear comes in, yeah printed manuals can go out of date, but it is pretty easy to add amendments. The large format easy on the eye experience of a printed manual is worth the £15-20 they cost.

21 Likes

Hits:

Monome Norns + Grid: I have the DIY version. Very inspiring, an ecosystem of apps that are carefully designed to explore different music possibilities - from sampling to generative music and a lot more. There is an excellent community behind it: lines

Minilogue XD: +1 to everything that @RobertSyrett wrote. It’s a very fun synth, very immediate and versatile. The custom oscillator and FX makes this synth very special. It’s also one of the cheapest poly synths on the market, and it sounds good (not a Prophet, but still good for the price).

Model:Samples: Very immediate and fun to use, incredible amount of features for the price (I got it 2nd hand). For a bit more than a volca sample you get less tracks, but way more features. The downside is that the build quality is not fantastic. Still, the MS is very cheap, so it’s more than OK.

Hits and Misses:
Digitone: Mostly because I did not have time to fully explore it. Also, I wish there is a more intuitive way to use microtonal/custom scale (operator fine tuning helps, but it’s a pain to program).

Misses:
Korg NTS-1: Mostly because I have the minilogue XD, but it’s a bit of a shame that you can’t save programs directly on the machine.

Future Hit, hopefully not a miss, more realistically a hit and miss: Dreadbox Typhon. Ordered in August, still waiting for it…

3 Likes

Hits:

Monome Norns Shield - the DIY version of the elegantly designed Raspi music computer. I didn’t build it myself, but it still worked out as cheaper than most other devices and is more capable than many. I’ve lost hours to the many and varied scripts that the Norns environment has to offer, and as it’s allopen source and eminently hackable, have had fun learning a bit of Lua scripting along the way. The downside is that it works best with the rather pricey Grid in its varibright version, but for now the mostly workable Launchpad Mini Mk3 fix that several users have hacked together works OK, as well as using MIDI learn to customise several external controllers.

The Supercollider engines sound incredible, the Softcut sampling system allows all manner of Octatrack-like tricks, and it can even be repurposed to run a lot of Organelle / Pure Data patches, as well as Orac. So much potential and while perhaps not suited to everyone’s use cases, it suits mine perfectly.

But overall this is exceptionally deep, not for everyone and lots and lots of fun.

Launchpad Mini Mk3 - bought to use in place of a Monome Grid for now with the Norns, but also eminently useful as a customisable MIDI controller for things like an Axoloti (controlling the parameters of the MI Rings port or a generative sound player with instantly patchable visual feedback is effortless), and while I have no use or ability to run Ableton Live, it can be used with reaper too, not that I bother.

Zoom MS-70 CDR - it ws inevitable that one of these would show up, and it’s become a permanent fixture on the outs of the Norns; not 100% perfect (it might need MIDI cc control for that), but so so useful, and I’ve not even looked at hacking it with the other Zoom pedal amp simulators and distortion algorithms yet.

Boss SX-700 - found at a more than reasonable price in almost perfect condition; sits on the outs of a different mixer for routing pretty much everything through the various RSS 3D settings, and while there’s been no need to go beyond the existing presets or to connect the DIN MIDI yet, that seems like it could be something worth doing as the nights draw in.

MS-20M - I’d wanted a real MS-20 ever since being lucky enough to borrow an original for a few months, and when one showed up at a fair price it seemed like the time was right (and the MS-20FS re-issues weren’t actually available at that point). The lack of a keyboard is a boon for space reasons – and the original was terrible – and the switchable filter modes as well as the 3.5 to 6.35mm patch multiples come in very handy; but it’s all about the filters and using the patchbay to make it simulate a steam train, and the external signal processor can take the MS-20 to places unknown that few others can reach.

MC-202 - a loaner from a friend that does one fairly familiar and limited thing, but does it so well that it can do it for hours on end as far as I’m concerned. The sequencer is intuitive and fluid when used in its most basic form, but seems daunting to get into and I can’t find the right batteries anywhere yet for keeping them stored between uses. This one has been modded with external CV/gate fixes and filter and portamento CV inputs, so is much more flexible as far as external control goes. I’ve still not connected it to the DIN sync on the Analog 4 yet, but one day its time will come.

Dreadbox Chromatic modules - eventually got the set save for the VCO module, which will probably need to be picked up at some point. Quirky and offering numerous multiple functions per module, each has proved its worth to greater or lesser degree (it’s a shame the Ataxia doesn’t remember LFO/ADSR settings between power cycles, but that’s mostly a matter of triggering the buttons in the right order at start up or when using the module.

Slightly flawed:

MI Clouds DIY clone - got this from a friend, and while its reduced size saves space at only 8HP, it shows why the full-size original is better for playing; but as a set and forget module with some tweaks still available during performance (if in rather cramped style), this is great, though the various modes require a cheat sheet to understand at first.

Dreadbox Typhon - sounds incredible on both the synth and FX sides, and together they are astounding. The MIDI sync issues, which have been improved if not fully fixed with the latest v2.0 firmware, made and continue to make the Typhon flawed when running with other sequenced MIDI instruments - but I don’t actually do that all the time, and its own sequencer is eminently usable. The v2.0 upgrades seem to add so much more to something that was already one of the best devices that Dreadbox have come up with to date, and the patch memory alone makes it worth having for instant bliss.

5 Likes

well, this is the main downside of 707, as for me.
but multiple audio outs rock, and 4 audio ins too, especially if you pair 707 with something else, especially with analog synths that typically don’t have onboard effects.
and still portable if you use bigger backpack.

1 Like

Highly recommend 202 Hack by Dan Nigrin, allows easy backup, sequence creation for both channels and midi file support, miss my 202.

https://defectiverecords.com/portfolio/mc-202-hack/

2 Likes

Looks like it could come in very handy; will have to see if I can get it to work using Windows in a virtual machine or via Wine, but looks promising (and has a demo mode, which is always useful for those reasons). Cheers for that!

1 Like

HIT:
DSI Pro2 - amazing synth, everything I dreamed it would be. Can sound as digital as you like, and also sound beautifully analogue. 4-note paraphony makes it even better too. I don’t think I’ll ever get tired of playing it and making sounds.

Digitone + Digitakt - DN was my first foray into Elektron, liked it so much I got the DT very soon after, and now I’m totally hooked. I still just wish the DT had a proper stereo input like the DN though.

TC Electronics Mimiq - if you have a mono output synth that you wish was stereo and ‘bigger’, this is what you need.

MISS:
Akai MPX16 - almost completely awful. Useless for long samples due to the tiny RAM, and that seemed to be the only thing it could ever be good for. You’d be better off finger drumming your keyboard through garageband for anything else.

5 Likes

I finally got round to buying a Tasty Chips GR-1 granular synth. I wish I’d done so years ago as it is the most inspiring piece of kit I’ve treated myself to in ages. Later I got a Blackbox - mostly to capture the long ambient improvs from the GR-1.
This little setup driven by my Digitone should keep me in happy minimalism for the time being.

I just remembered, I bought a Novation Mono Station. Not sure why I got it (oh yes, they were selling them off cheap). The UI sucks for my needs so it’s a miss.

7 Likes

Well for the moment I bought a Typhon to make cool little setups in various combinations with my other machines for quick jams. The sound is awesome but since the midi sync of the internal sequencer isn’t stable yet, it’s still a question for now and I’m waiting for the new firmware (due tomorrow) to answer that.

Also, I bought a 0-CTRL for my modular, the sequencer part is awesome, but the touchplates are not working due to a power supply problem, I will have to wait for my new PSU to answer that too.

Anyway, 2020 is also the year where I released my first album that I made without any use of gear whatsoever, everything in the box. And it happened because I had this eureka moment when I realised that trying new setups and thinking that I absolutely had to use the gear I had were both mindset that brought my creativity down. Once I got rid of those thoughts, I had a blast on my computer and made so much more music.

So yeah, 2020 gear purchases: misses all over and it was great?

5 Likes

MegaFM. Dont have one, haven’t used one but the sound in demos and discussion around it inspired some fizzing lofi volatile patches on Blofeld

1 Like

Between loosing my event management work due to covid. The massive jump in prices in Australia, and being fortunate to buy our first home…i have only made 1 gear purchase all of 2020…which is NOT NORMAL…

At least it was a hit… Managed to snag a Model Cycles.

13 Likes

If you want…Think of a second hand price for the TD3 (shipped to Byron Shire 2483) and PM me…

1 Like

Bought only a couple of relatively small things and they were all hits.

Microfreak - Has quickly become one of my favs with the quick mod matrix and I love the spice/dice which they should add to the keystep as well imo

EHX Green Russian reissue - In combination with my EQD Palisades makes all the od/dist/fuzz sounds I need

TC Vortex - Super versatile flanger pedal and my to go modulation unit at the moment

I have a Mackie 802vlz4 coming today for a small jamming setup so hopefully that’s a hit as well :slight_smile: EDIT: it’s a hit

2 Likes

Sure. will PM you next day or so.

Hits:

Microfreak - One day my partner was peering over my shoulder as I did my usual roundup of the synthernet. A video of the Microfreak caught her attention. So I bought her one. She was super hyped about it and immediately fell into her own world tweaking it. Next thing I know she’s downloaded the manual to her phone and is reading it (and other manuals) for fun, she’s on youtube looking up tutorials and videos to explain the different oscillators, our over dinner conversations now include her asking things like “So anyway, what is a waveshaper?”. She’s musical (sings, plays violin & mandolin) and for years I’ve failed to get her interested in the world of synth stuff - somehow the Microfreak did what I couldn’t. My #2 most unexpected development of 2020.

UDO Super 6 - Such a wonderful instrument. I think it’s the perfect polysynth for me. Immediate hands on interface, versatile sound, fantastic build quality. Everything about it is a joy to use. I’m very much enamoured with it. The only downside is my partner also really likes playing it now and I don’t want to share!

Misses:

Eurorack - Every 5 years or so I get the urge again. I see something and it draws me in (particular module, a certain manufacturer’s aesthetic, whatever). I somehow forget that, for me, modular environments have always been ultimately unproductive. So it has always been, and lo - so it was in 2020.

Digitone - For a few years there has been a distinct lack of any Elektron sequencer in my life. I thought maybe the Digitone would be the one to remediate that. But somehow not. I like the sound. I like the workflow. But yet… I just didn’t want to use it.

Argon8 - Again, something just didn’t click. I liked the sound. The hardware felt good. But something about the UI irked me, plus the fact that my unit had continual problems with crashing.

13 Likes

Bought a fair amount of gear in 2020. Some very affordable and some (eurorack) not so affordable. I also released a record in June 2020, which colors what is a ‘hit’ or ‘miss’ for me.

Model:Cycles- I gotta go hit. It was so affordable and looked like it could be fun in its simplicity. I think it’s genius. My favorite two songs on my new record are mostly the M:C. Just wonderful.

Eurorack- I put this next to contrast with the M:C. Over the course of two years I probably spent well over $10,000 and modular is super interesting and fun, but in the end I wasn’t getting anything I thought should go on the new record. Two short transition bits was all I used. I love the sound of the Verbos and Cwejman stuff (I own a couple of each), but it’s a ton of dough and I can’t really say it’s ‘worth it’ in that sense. Some ‘hit’ modules for me are;
Just Friends
Doepfer A110-4
Mimeophon
L-1 DDVCF

Huge hit I got in June or July was the Kodamo EssenceFM. I’m just over the moon for this synth. Enough polyphony to do whole tracks on just this synth. Sounds amazing to me and is very programmable. My last bunch of jams have just been the EssenceFM and Octatrack and the M:C comes out from time to time

Last, Keystep Pro. Not really a hit or miss. It’s kinda neat at times, but I wouldn’t miss it much if it went away

8 Likes

It’s been a year of getting rid of more than I bought for me. Most of my ‘misses’ were just done out of necessity for paying the rent or to buy something else more desirable. Anyway…

Hits (and kept):

Analog Rytm Mk2 - absolute game changer. The one Elektron I’ve always wanted but could never afford (until now). Love it, love it, love it. A sure fire keeper!

Nord Lead 2x - traded a Digitone for this one. Fantastic sounds from such a simple interface and 20 voices seem luxurious compared to Elektron synths. But…

Bitwig Studio 3 - a recent demo mode tryout. Almost exclusively used to create my own subtractive and PM/FM synths using The Grid modular environment. I fully intend to buy this as soon as I can afford to do so. I really think it can do everything I want synth-wise. Next I’m going to try granular on it :slightly_smiling_face:

Evantide Blackhole (plug-in) - superb sounding reverb that has already provided me with unique atmospheres for song I really love. This is still being used in demo mode (runs out soon) but I will be buying it for sure!

Sonarworks Reference 4 - totally changed my headphone mixes on DT-770s! Everyone should have this software. Amazing!

Hits (and sold):

Octatrack Mk2 - loved it, especially as a midi sequencer, and it produced some really great ideas but ultimately, the Rytm and Overbridge made me change my approach.

Model:Samples - still not sold quite yet, but it stood in quite nicely while I was between OT and AR. Great sequencer!

Roland JU-06A - awesome little synth (the best Boutique?) but Ableton’s Poli largely replaced it for me and I wanted to cutdown on gear.

Misses:

Model:Cycles - I made a couple of tracks with it and used it live but it was far too restrictive and similar sounding after a while.

Possible 2021 hit:

Tasty Chips GR-1 - if I can’t create granular by myself in The Grid or my CPU craps out in the attempt, I may pull the trigger on this one. It looks amazing!

10 Likes

I spent much of 2020 offloading gear, mainly because I had to get the cash together to buy this -

Hit : Korg ARP 2600 FS. I’d always wanted one… & a minty fresh new model with a few added improvements was just irresistable. Sounds incredible, plays incredible, looks incredible. Something I’ve bought to keep for the rest of my life.

But also added to the armoury with :

Hit : Moog Subharmonicon - one of the most unique & inspiring little instruments I’ve ever owned. Just a magical combination of ideas & features from Moog that add up to a ‘result every time’ box. Love it.

Then a few Eurorack additions - all Hits :

• Instruo Arbhar, Ochd, Ts-l, Vinca & Traigh… I think Instruo stuff is great - took a bit of a leap of faith but have been really, really happy with build, sound quality & features. These have really taken my little Eurorack set-up to new places.
12 Likes

just FYI: technically it’s possible. the idea is very simple: since MS-70CDR responds to SysEx, but very few hardware can be programmed to send arbitrary SysEx messages — a box that converts incoming CC (from any sequencer or generic MIDI controller) to SysEx will do the job.

so i almost made it (WIP).

the problem is that some parameters of some effects are 14-bit.
also, every effect can appear anywhere in effects chain.
so there’s no way to build universal solution once and forever. so you’ll have to tweak it for every your MS-70 patch.

2 Likes

I saw you mention that you were working on this and will be interested to see what you come up with.