2020 audio interface to buy maximum 500€

The SSL two channel interface would be great for their needs, doesn’t have to be “entry level”.

I installed this recently on High Sierra to set one up for ADAT. Still worked, gotta say MOTU supports things for quite a while software wise. Other than that though it’s been a pain. Wordclock doesn’t work with my Quantums. Syncing via ADAT sometimes introduces artifacts and requires a reset. It’s old as hell though so I may just have to retire it.

Presonus Quantum 1 or 2 have both been the best interfaces I’ve owned so far. Such low latency and reliable so far.

You might be able to find a Quantum 2 used around your price.

Yea, I don’t know why but I have had issues with ADAT clock sync going from MOTU to other brands , but not between MOTU to MOTU.
It’s not proprietary. It’s decades old technology.
It doesn’t make logical sense that this is the case but something is going on.

Is your Quantum set as master?

Yep.
I haven’t tried using something else as master I guess. I’m using multiple Quantums and they all sync via wordclock or ADAT fine. I’m also using a Scarlett 18i20 Gen 1 and an M-Audio 2626 as slave which both have no issues syncing via wordclock or ADAT via the Quantums. I ‘have’ tried putting it at different locations in the chain though and it doesn’t help. I have some BNC “T”'s and 75 ohm terminators that I may try when I rewire my main mixer soon ( propping the 32 channel mixer up at 30 degrees or more to make more room in the studio).

It only has 4 mix busses too which means I can only use it for 8 in or 8 out and not both at the same time so It’ll probably see the chopping block soon because of that regardless unfortunately.

Pming you, as to not derail this thread.

I’ve been using the Roland Rubix 44 for a few years now and it’s been really solid. It has 2 built in compressors which is a nice touch, imo.

Personally I think Focusrite make the best affordable interfaces. They are totally rock solid and reliable. The conversion is as good as you could possibly expect without spending silly money (and who can really hear the difference anyway?), and the preamps are decent (if you even need to use them). The best value is the 18i20, and you can always add a Behringer ADA8200 if you need more than eight inputs. If you buy used you can have 16 channels of high quality, reliable A/D for under £500. The modern world is amazing!

2 Likes

Did they give any indication when they would be up and running again. Im not in any rush to get one so would happily wait a little time for one of these.

See below

Thank you for your interest in our products! Due to manufacturing delays, the UltraLite-mk4 is not currently available and may not be for some time. I recommend taking a look at the UltraLite AVB instead, which is very similar and should be immediately available.

2 Likes

Yeh saw that buit I’d rather get the extra 2 outputs. I want 4 stereo outs for traktor plus I need another o/p to send a clock pulse from ableton into ERM muliticlock. I have a little workaround going just now so will wait on mk4 I recon.

I believe you should be able to use the headphone out as a separate output for your ERM Multiclock. I do it with my Quantum and have done it with the MOTU Ultralite MKIII I had for years. I also see I could do it on the Scarlett, and the 2626 I have as adat expanders. Most seem to have the headphone as a dedicated out.

1 Like

Yes that could be an option…Ill run with workaround I have just now but could be persuaded with a good second hand bargain mk3 if I saw one. Saw a few on ebay that were not too bad priced.

If was buying brand new would prefer the mk4 as they sell for about same price.

1 Like