2019 Gear Purchase: Hits & Misses

OTmk2 + ripcord & powerpack?
portable battery powered OT :+1:t3:

3 Likes

Hit: Arturia MatrixBrute because of its sound and features. It’s a beast!

Miss: OP Z because of its interface and DSI Rev2 for being too vanilla to my taste.

Otherwise I’m happy for DT > AR Swap, more of OT2 use and AK usage in 2019.

For 2020 I’m curious to whether I will be using EPS classic and VFX a lot.

You, I like you :joy:

1 Like

Better than your DJS1000?

I’m always interested in this sort of machine and your comments on the DJS was instrumental in me getting one . Which I’ve never regretted btw!

What do you think of the Coupe? I’m in love with mine. I had been looking for a small bodied hollow body for years. Also being a huge Beatles fan prob increases my enjoyment of the instrument :smiley:

Love it. Bought it for all the same reasons you mentioned. And coming from a Les Paul model, the lack of weight is life changing haha. I find that I don’t even fuck around with the tone controls. I just leave it with both pickups running and everything at 10. Blending that sound with my own Digitone sounds is truly amazing!

1 Like

Komplete Kontrol M32 was definitely the best thing I bought this year.

I’m finally utilizing all those plugins that I didn’t and probably wouldn’t use if I didn’t have such an immediate interface to interact with them.

Also, this return to playing keys opposed the sequencing workflow is the difference between the magic of sound and the magic of MAKING sound. I feel like a wizard- it’s awesome. Not to mention I’ve been wanting to get into computer music making

3 Likes

Hits:
Ali Express Dan Armstrong copy
JC-120 - great deal because it was painted with really thick white acrylic
Boss RSD-10 - add to the MD and MnM for supreme Autechre ripoff

Sadly an A4 was my biggest miss this year, thankfully I got an really good deal on it. I find it very stressful to have more than 2 elektron boxes at once.

Also I impulse bought FM8 and Reaktor 6 during the last sale but haven’t really dug into them yet.

Oooh nice! Has midi cc too. Keeping an eye on this one. Have you posted anything online using this? Cheers

Have you used Bitwig with the Elektrons yet? I have Bitwig 8-Track and I like it a lot but so far am just messing around using software only. I’d love to try the Grid, especially having spent so much time using Nord Modulars, but unless it ends up as my main DAW, I have a hard time swallowing the price tag for the full version.

Have you done anything with Max and the Micro yet? I’m been playing with Pd and really want to create something with my NM G2, OT, A4, and Pd in some way.

As a matter of fact, yes - just now!

11 Likes

Looks like the OP-Z is a consistent miss in this thread.

For me, the hit was the Midi Twister Fighter. Didn’t realize how much I would love having encoders that 1) that are lighted so I don’t have to look at a screen, 2) have the lighted dents so I can tell which are on/off, 3) have button capabilities, which gives me 16 buttons in a 16 encoder format, and 4) it’s the perfect size - nothing feels too small.

As for the miss, it was the Mono Station, even at the $250 discounted price. I love the BS2 sound but felt the sound of the MS was weak and uninspiring. Go figure.

for me the op-z is a total hit, but I got it in 2018, so that doesn’t count here :thinking:

5 Likes

Nothing new to add to this discussion, but Digitone: does everything I can imagine needing. Complete tracks on one machine (well maybe chiptunes only), a synth module, a drum machine, a mixer for small setup, a sequencer for small setup, an FX box for external stuff, an audio interface, MIDI trickery (like splits or inverting/messing keyboard). Integrates perfectly to my keyboard rig as sound expansion, does all cliche FM sounds and fake analogue stuff so nicely. Sound design is always a blast to do whether its about 90s game sounds, random sound FXs or classic synth sounds.

Oh Misses: Roland VR-09. Had for a moment. Didnt like the feel of it (plastic), sounds of it (hammond could be nice if one understood how to set those sliders… ), controls (on one gig I got stuck on some low register mode, only had the top octave in playable register). Looper/sequencer was actually blast for some instant random fun.

3 Likes

Yea, I noticed too. A bit strange.

But for me it’s just a travel device. It’s only a miss in the sense that I don’t use it at home. It’s a hit when I am going abroad, it’s the only music box I will take with me. Thing is … I am more home than travelling at this point in my life. I like being home … :smiley:

3 Likes

Considering how much you like the Midi Fighter, have you gave any of Livid Instruments controllers a try?
I’ve been a fan of that company for awhile now and to me they always seemed like the top dog of customizable controllers.
Worth a look over.
But I also see the appeal of the midi fighter, being so portable and conserving studio real estate.

http://lividinstruments.com/products/ds1/

1 Like

To make it way, get rid of two things and get the OP1!

1 Like

Lyra 8
Machinedrum

Yes I only do hits…
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

9 Likes

JC120… the bestest amp in the world! (He says donning his flameproof suit…):slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hits - Behringer Model D and RD8… Sound works for me and so much fun to play and write on. Ditto MicroFreak. Also moving from Renoise to Studio One, especially as I’ve now got the StudioLive desk. Earlyish days but a definite step up and improved workflow.

Misses - Modal Skulpt and Craft… Didn’t gell with the sound of either. Almost plasticky and the UI isn’t brilliant either. Suspect the Argon will sound the same.