1 hour techno liveset w/ 2x Digitakt

@klerc @zeropoint thank you for the positive reactions! Really appreciated.

If anybody has any questions about the setup or workflow let me know, I’ll answer them in depth in the video.

still haven’t had a free hour to listen straight through (let alone watch your video version) but every time i dive in somewhere i’m instantly in the zone. really great heavy grooves. :thup:

i’m one of those people who is always interested in process, so ^yes, i’d be curious about anything you can share. what tools other than the dominion did you use to create the samples/stems? and how do you integrate the two digitakts together? is one doing oneshots and the other stems, for example?

also curious about how you use the heat — whether you created presets or adjust it on the fly, how you use the LFOs and other bells & whistles, etc. :slight_smile: thanks!

1 Like

Excellent - inspiring as I’m getting a Digitakt in a few weeks. Keep up the great work!

Awesome comment. Really appreciate it!

Good questions as well. I’ll be sure to answer them in the video. Cheers :slight_smile:

@Jimbo you’ll love it :slight_smile: thanks for listening!

2 Likes

+1! nice development on that whole track

1 Like

Good stuff listened whilst soldering at work on the headphones.

Followed on SC.

1 Like

Hey Dave, so are you treating the two Digitakts as separate decks with the basis of one tune on each ? Or is it more freeform than that ? And you mix and match grooves from the two ? Or a combo of the two approaches ? Are you using the DB4’s FX and loop per channel capabilities ? If so how are you dealing with sync given the lack of DIN midi on the DB4. Just tap tempo ? Looking forward to the video breaking it all down .

1 Like

Thanks @depuratumba and @s3kn0tr0n1c ! Means a lot!

@zeropoint thanks, good questions. I’ll make sure to address each one :). About the db4: I use the fx and looper a lot yeah. I just let it auto detect bpm, which works 90% of the time I’d say. I’ll explain in detail how I manage to keep everything in line when looping for instance.

woah, pretty dope set…

listened to it during work today and checked the video every now and then - really cool set, keep up the good work !

1 Like

I use Allen n heaths PX5 with my elektrons and just set tempo to match boxes.

This works well for all bpm synced fx. Perhaps DB4 allows this also.

Great job dude!

1 Like

@Nick_Shepherd & @SilentBomber thank you for listening and kind words! :smiley:

@s3kn0tr0n1c sadly this is not possible with the db4. It has an internal midi clock which you can setup, but it only works for slaving a DAW clock to db4 over USB midi. It’s a real shame they implemented midi in such a lacking way on such a high tech mixer. The bpm counters are really good though imho. Tapping tempo when the detection is off works in a great way that the detection system will learn what rhythmic content to focus on to determine the bpm. Sometimes I use the wrong detection in my advantage for nice triplet loop stuttering, as it will always detect in a rhythmic viable amount of bpm. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

i have enjoyed it a lot. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Thank you for listening :slight_smile:

listening now, sound fantastic. :+1:

1 Like

Cheers man! Thanks for listening :slight_smile:

I uploaded a video where I show you how great I think the mixer is for live use. I use it very heavily in my liveset and it’s an unmissable tool for me :slight_smile:

Hope this answers your question. I’m also going to record a video where I explain my liveset workflow. Keep an eye on my channel, you can subscribe right here: https://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=davemech

11 Likes

Thanks, that’s very interesting. The input matrix and having the loopers easily accessible on each channel makes the DB4 a very compelling tool.

1 Like

Wow. Really didn’t need to see this :wink:

2 Likes

Do not, I repeat do not look up the pricing on this mixer…

1 Like