Your digitakt setup

My initial setup will be digitakt + vp9000 Roland for some poly timestretch.
Also have a microsampler and iPad as sample fodder for the digitakt and vp9000.
See how it goes.

1 Like

If I go with the digitakt, I would pair it with my blofeld, and put everything inside a small case, with lithium battery and ready to play.

3 Likes

Actually a really cool combo would be the iPad into bigsky reverb into digitakt. iPad midi controlled by digitakt. Simple and streamlined.

3 Likes

Never heard of the Roland vp9000 before. Will check it out. I see Microsampler in your list. Ive used mine sometimes in past with OT in past to fill the ā€˜polyphonic + timestrechā€™ gap. You rate the vp9000 better algo for this than the Microsampler? Or is it something else that makes you choose that (voice count, multi-timbral etc?)

How well does midi work into the iPad? What is the latency like?

What apps does everybody use with the iPad? Also, like greatexpectations said, whats the latency like?

Digitakt
Roland TB-03
Roland System 1m
IPad

That should go a long way for some experimental Acid :metal::sunglasses::metal:

5 Likes

Random question regarding setups. Sorry if this has been asked already.

If you monitor audio through one of the DTs inputs, does it output that monitoring in stereo? For example, I plug two different synths into each of the DTs inputs, would it convert and output those as stereo?

If yes, then I might forgo a mixer. Also, people are talking about master compressors, does the overdrive compress the audio at all?

Hmm very different, I canā€™t find a good video that demonstrates the way I use the vp but this one is ok:

Basically adjustable pitch, length, on the fly. Works really nice with polyphonic samples

4 Likes

I use my iPad with USB to a focusrite interface so that improves latency a bit, donā€™t know what actually roundtrip latency is though

So many!
I probably have 70+ iPad music apps :joy:
Some of the best:
Samplr
Sector
Egoist
Unique
Borderlands
Triqtraq
Seekbeats
TweakyBeat
Elasticdrums
Patterning
iWavestation
Animoog
Model-15
Nave
cSSpectral
Wow filterbox
Flux:fx
Cassini
Deadulus
Ape filter
And many many more

4 Likes

which focusrite do you have? can you go in depth with how your ipad is rigged with midi? am a noob in regards to this

https://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-18i6

I use the camera connection kit v3 to give power to the ipad and a usb port.
Once the scarlett is plugged into the usb it acts exactly like a computer audio interface.
I can point apps to the midi in/out ports on the scarlett and also pick which audio inputs to record from or send audio to.
I can record from all the inputs at once and multitrack for example.

this is key though:

rock solid, donā€™t buy 3rd party versions as they dont work well. Apple has some sort of pixie dust in the official one that makes it work really well :smiley:

3 Likes

Dt
Moog sub 37
Op-1
Roland sp-404sx
Boss rc 505 (used as a midi synced multitrack recorder)

Iā€™m a drummer so my setup is on my left for easy access in a more vertical fashion since itā€™s a pain to drum and look top-down to see the controls. Rest of the drumset is to the right out of the picture. Might return the Beat Step Pro if the MIDI sequencing is good on the DT.

30 Likes

ISem and DRC are the best I have and didnā€™t deleteā€¦ No latency on an iPad Air 2 :ok_hand:

My Digitakt rig for now. I am learning both so Iā€™m keeping them upstairs and out of the studio space for a bit.

[Edit] a bit seems to be three days! Moved everything upstairs for more sunshine in my synth.

9 Likes

thats a nice looking rack of gear :smiley:

2 Likes

A4, KORG Volca FM, Arturia Mini/Microbrute + fx pedals + HEAT + DT = Sound Design
OT + AR + DT = Live Set up

Korg Volca FM + DT
Looking forward controlling the FM with the DT, to bad no program change possible (FM)
or
Ruismaker apps (IOS) + DT + Tascam iXR
Synth drum app (Ruismaker FM)
FM Synth app (Ruismaker Phasemaker)
Some sort of a TB303 clone, but thereā€™s more, nice GUI (Ruismaker Troublemaker)
Loads of parameters controllable via CC with the DT

I need to buy some extra time :loopy:

MnM
AR
DigiTakt
OB6
Blofeld
BIM
Biscuit
MultiClock

3 Likes