Yamaha MODX Synthesizer

So, apparently there was a leak on a retailers homepage of a new Yamaha Synth. It’s kind of a slimed down Version of the Montage models.

Features:

FM-X Synth Engine (64 voices)
AWM2 (Advanced Wave Memory 2) sample and synthesis engine (128 voices)

• Semi-weighted keybed for fluid playability

• Unparalleled sonic versatility for creating sounds from iconic 80s sounds to modern-day EDM cutting-edge leads

• Integrated performance controls include faders and encoders for in-depth control over parameters

• Ideal for both studio and stage use

• LCD-Touchscreen 7″-Colour-Wide-VGA-TFT

• Waveform-ROM expanded from 741 MB to 5.67 GB

• 2,370 new Waveforms, 6,347 total in ROM
    1 GB Flash-ROM built-in

• Ca. 2,000 preset performances

• 640 user performances

• 5,120 library performances

• Seamless Sound Switching “SSS“ for Performances with up to four Parts

• 13 dual insert effects (12 Parts + A/D Input)

• Over 256 preset live set slots, 2,048 User & 2,048 library live set slots

• 10,239 arpeggios (WTF?!!)

• Eight arpeggio Parts simultaneously

• Eight Scenes per Performance

• Master keyboard functions for each Performance

• Multichannel USB Audio Interface, 2-in/10-outs

Edit:
Yamaha MODX6 1.199,- Euro
Yamaha MODX7 1.369,- Euro
Yamaha MODX8 1.579,- Euro

4 Likes

A big zzzzzzzzzzzz from me

3 Likes

Half the price of the Montage. They’re going to sell. But it’s still got the workstation vibe.

Getting warm
Now just extract the FMX engine, add a bunch more knobs and sliders and it’s getting closer.
Oh and add a wavetable engine for good measure thanks Yamaha

1 Like

76 keys??

Put it in a compact RS7000-like box (with sequencer, and constructed of metal) please…

4 Likes

Some people will never be happy

(If anyone wants to accuse me of fanboyism, well that’s ok)

2 Likes

No sequencer but you get the sounds and a good set of keys to use as a controller for your DAW…not bad at all. I use live, cubase, and mpc software for sequencing.

You can’t win them all right

For some reason this synth news triggered my repressed GAS for the Montage. Well played Yamaha.

I still don’t understand why Yamaha won’t release the FM-X engine in form of a desktop version, so many people already requested such a product.

What are the hardware alternatives to the Montage FM section? Most current synths only allow simple FM with 2 or 3 oscillators.

I love Elektron but the Digitone feels so minimalistic, limited and unfinished compared to the FM-X engine and the voice count of a Montage.

I‘m really interested what the exact difference is, between the MODX and the Yamaha. (Besides of the obvious difference like fader, knobs…)

EDIT: just read that the voice count is apparently „28“ (EDIT: it’s 128) for the AWM2 section and 64 for the FM-X engine.

Yamaha announced:

September 14, 1pm EDT on Facebook.com/YamahaSynths.
Live from New York.
New product event and live performances from Richard Devine, Nicholas Semrad and Domi Degalle.
At yamahasynth.com

2 Likes

Richard Devine ? That means RS7000 mkii maybe

Rumor says there’ll be 61 and 88 key models as well.

Somebody’s summary of Montage vs. MODX

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/yamaha-modx-vs-montage/

2 Likes

Awesome, thanks a lot!
Looks like a good deal. GAS is raising :slight_smile:

Roland 3 products are going to be announced tomorrow. :heart_eyes:emphasized text

1 Like

As with the other recent product leak thread, one should not take specs posted too seriously.

Wait until the official specs come from Yamaha before making any purchasing decision, panicking or whatever.

3 Likes

I’d be more interested if they end up releasing a 49-key version. I really value compact footprints for my hardware.

1 Like

The Montage was light on control already, but this stripped down again to just 4 knobs, 4 sliders and a macro knob is just silly, and nowhere near enough control for a beast like FMX.
Something like this is what Yamaha need to release

10 Likes

The world needs more 3 octave roadster synths!

5 Likes

A groovebox version that swaps the keyboard for a sequencer could be cool. Preferably with MPE support, but that might be too much to ask.

3 Likes

My heart stops every time I see that mock-up. :smiley:

5 Likes

I like this. In 2034 I’ll pick one up off ebay

1 Like