Wish OctaTrack could Direct-channel MIDI Notes like the MonoMachine

Had an OT over 2 years, and have sporadically enjoyed using it as a live-recording MIDI-hub.
My OT seemed like it would pair well with my QuasiMIDI Sirius (7 part, 7 channel drum/synth/vocoder workstation).
However, things get slowed down by the fact that, as per the OT manual:

While in MIDI mode note data and CC values can be recorded in real time to the active MIDI track. Activate LIVE RECORDING mode by pressing [REC] + [PLAY]. For the MIDI track to register incoming MIDI data, the note or CC data needs to be sent either to the auto channel, which is set in the CHANNELS menu, or to the MIDI channel of the active track.'

…with this, I have to switch both OT and Sirius same-channeled track, which slows down the flow to have to look and check back and forth between two different devices/representations. This could not be helped by using the OT’s “Auto” channel, as I’m already selecting/changing the Sirius’s parts directly, and using Auto would require a 3rd device.

The tedium of having to manual track correspondence eventually turned me away from using OT as MIDI-hub…
…UNTIL got a SFX60 Monomachine (mk2) this year, I tried pairing it with the Sirius, and found it much more fast and fun…because it’s live-recording mode smartly and automatically routes incoming MIDI (notes) directly to appropriately-channeled track regardless of what Elektron Track is selected ( as apparently first noticed/mentioned [here by user TR909] (Monomachine midi multi-channel recording) ).
Specifically, I can just leave the MonoMachine in Live Record, then focus on the Sirius to create motifs and/or change sounds. I only have to touch the Elektron to Mute, Erase, or Clear.

Even if the MonoMachine…

• ignores timing and velocity of live-recorded notes
  • can’t to independent pattern length
  • is more limited in CCs
  • has fewer tracks to work with

…this “smart”-channeling of MIDI tracks make is more fun than the OT.

I can video a demo OT/Mono comparison if anyone needs.

If it were at all possible, I’d really like the OT to have “smart channeling” of live record. Go add the setting Note Direct Connect Project/Control/MidiSequencer to keep the lone “CC Direct Connect” setting company.

3 Likes