Who's telling the truth, MD or DAW?

I’ve been working with some beats then recording them into pro tools, making little loops.

I set the bpm of pro tools the same as MD. Then with surgical precision i align put the waveform to the grid, and copy/paste my loop.

All seems bang on and sounding great, until after a few minutes, where i notice things are gradually sliding out…

I’ve noticed this with all different kits and beats. All i can guess is that pro tools and MD have slightly different ideas of what 109bpm looks like. But it was my understanding that the MD was really in the pocket with its clock. What’s most likely to be the culprit here? any thoughts?

I don’t have MD but my guess is this is due to drift. Do you use the daw or MD as master? My AR drifts about 10 ms over a period of 7-8 minutes if I have it slaved to Ableton Live

…first make sure daw is master…md can handle drifting master clocks, since there is no rocksolid master clock outthere anyway…

if that won’t work for u…u better check for special midi clock admitters…but that’s at least another 300 bux to spent…while no daw will really take credit from that anyways again…

Every device will have a very slight difference in its tempo, even if it only becomes apparent after many minutes.

Are you using any MIDI synchronization between ProTools and MD, or just manually setting the same tempo on both?

2 Likes