Which drum machine to accompany Analog Four?

and iPad with Patterning…

1 Like

MD UW + Sonic Potions LXR. Digi will limit you to samples only and the Rytm’s Analog Engines will easily sound boring after a while :slight_smile: And Samples on the Rytm are … lets not talk about that :wink:

If you dont have much money, go for the LXR only. You can buy a pre-assembled one or build it yourself. In the latter case its really cheap and this thing sounds amazing - for sure!

2 Likes

I LOVED the way samples sounded on the RYTM. Nice and toasty. I don’t want to say you’re crazy…

…but you’re crazy

2 Likes

I also love samples on the Rytm, but managing them is a nightmare.

2 Likes

Thanks guys, my budget is ~1400e, and I want something from Elektron. So I can’t decide RYTM or Digitakt? So if somebody will get his Digitakt next month, please let me know your thoughts.

Here’s the latest forum opinions on Rytm:

1 Like

If it HAS to be between those two to accompany the A4 I’d say go digitakt. Quickly expand your # of voices, sample drum patches into it, and the percussion will better mesh with the sound of the A4. In my experience, the A4/AR sound combo did not naturally sound good together.

Also, the midi will be helpful. You can use it like a game genie to provide certain features not available on the A4(like plocked arp)

However, just one more thing to argue my first point:

5 Likes

It depends on what you want and what you already have. Do you want a drum synth with annoying workarounds to using samples? Or do you want a drum sampler? Do you already own gear that you can use to sample from? Like other synths or drum machines? Do you like working with samples? I prefer using samples if the file saving and loading is easy to work with. So for me digitakt would be my choice.

1 Like

AR

they are brother and sister in every way

nothing can compete with the AR sonically, including with samples … individual outs etc

end of thread

made for each other, plus soon sample import will be just the same as on the DT

No MIDI sequencing though, unlikely, but not 100% off the table either

3 Likes

Now I have A4, TB-3, TR-8, as I said before I want to sell my tr-8 and upgrade to something more flexible. I do not own any gear that can sample things, so I don’t have any experience in sampling :slight_smile:

No it won’t. Sampling is NOT the same as sample import.

Well digitakt would be a good way to learn sampling. And you could sample your tr8 before selling it to start creating your own sample library. Then you can still sample off the Internet, songs etc.

1 Like

That’s why i quite clearly wrote import !

2 Likes

that’s not true that nothing can compete. The AR, DT and MD all have their strengths and weaknesses. and they’ll all sound killer with the A4. just depends what your flavour is. but the AR isn’t intrinsically better than either of the other 2.

Another Great Video… :elmd: Nice Build! Thanks

the op wanted opinions, it’s a subjective matter … but it’s not subjective that the AR and A4 are the closest siblings in the Elektron family, both in terms of styling, architecture and crucially ux/workflow

they seem like very natural sidekicks to one another, but may be too related sonically for some as well

1 Like

Yip totally. and I was just giving my opinion on your opinion, which could also be beneficial to the OP.
innit :slight_smile:

I would go for DT.
It seems simple yet powerful.
Can go in territories unreachable from A4.
You can sample a fat kick from A4 and reuse it.
Get familiar with sampling, and use samples as wavetables or reverse them and get sick effects…
As much as I love AR, for the price you get DT + AH if you want :wink:

1 Like

I have a TR-8 and Rytm. Bought each twice. Probably will keep both for good. Might add a Digitakt in the future, depending on final specs and reviews.

To compliment your TR-8 & A4, choosing between Rytm and Digitakt, I’d personally choose the Digitakt.

I think of it as 1. Sound sources and 2. Samples/Sampling.

Sound source = TR-8. Not as broad as Rytm, obviously. But TR-8 is all sweet-spot.
Sound source = Rytm. Very broad. Lots of sculpting potential. But I don’t use a lot of weird blips and chirps and glitchy sounds in my music, so I usually end up on some variation of classic analog drum machine sounds no matter how long I tweak the Rytm! Rytm’s sculpting potential might be wasted on me.

Samples/Sampling = Rytm. Can only import pre-made samples. (Use SDS-Drop app!)
Samples/Sampling = Digitakt. Can actually sample other gear and internally resample, and import pre-made samples. Clear winner, imo.

Other = Rytm. Has some great master FX and performance features like Perf and Scene.
Other = Digitakt. Has unknown, as of now, master FX. The few demos I’ve heard, the filter and other digital fx on DT sound great. I’m sure the master FX will too. And it has the beloved cntrl-ALL feaure. Also has MIDI sequencing, something that is irritatingly lacking on the Rytm, imo.

Also, you already have an A4, which can do a lot of sounds that the Rytm can do. Similar sounding engines. If you sample those to Digitakt, might be enough of that palette.

Personally -

I prefer Digitakt in sample/sampling category.

I prefer Digitakt in performance features. I also would use the MIDI sequencing.

I’m split between TR-8 & Rytm’s drum synth sounds. TR-8 is so quick and easy and no menus. Rytm is fun to dive in and tweak endlessly. Different machines for different moods, imo. I think I do tend to prefer TR-8 sounds in general character, once all is said and done. They are classics for a reason. Like a strat, piano, or acoustic drums. Yes, they’ve been around forever but my ear does not tire of them (then again, I still get a thrill listening to the same old Keith Richards guitar work after 30+ years, ymmv). You can always run them through fx as well. Again, A4 can do great variety of drum sounds as well.

1. TR-8 for quick hand-on classic drum sounds. All sweet-spot, no menu diving. Easy to jam on.
  2. A4 for incredible synth and sequencer. Can design analog drum sounds on this as well.
  3. Digitakt for sampling anything and everything from TR-8, A4, etc. Can also sequence other MIDI gear.

Fun group of machines right there!

In the end, think of your music and your favorite sounds, and evaluate machines based on that, not just specs. Will a machine get you where you want to go, sonically? All the cool specs in the world won’t help if you don’t have any interest in the general tone of a machine, etc.

1 Like