What's next for Elektron?

I’d love to see a groovebox like Korgs latest Electribe (not the sampler) but with all the good features from elektron and with much more modulation possibilities. More voices. Able to play samples. Does not have to be analog. Could be digital in order to have more voices, more mod possibilities and more fx types. An intern battery, a small keyboard like the A4, Size should be similar to an electribe. Wold pay 1k for something like that!

A digital powersynth like access virus ti2 but with the power of modern hardware! (Virus is almost 10 years old, and still one of the best digi. synths you can get) I would love to see what elektron would be able to do with modern hardware.

A wavetable synth. Granular synth ect. Just a form of sound sznthesis that we not already have. We all have probably enougth subtractiv hardware synths!

1 Like

how about a pcm-based synth lol?
elektron’s angle on pcm romplers could be fascinating and cool.

1 Like

Wi-fi piggy bank where upon a sufficient deposit, details of a new unit is released to the user. Like a ladder system, more details are released with incremental savings. When sufficient funds to pay for the device are saved then Elektron give you the option to buy or withdraw your savings.

If that’s the case, then Elektron can TOTALLY DM me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

on your second wish, have you looked at the new zoom l-12? sounds pretty close to what you’re describing.

As many people have said - I would bet a LOT of money on the next ‘new’ device being a digital/FM synth in the Digitakt box form factor - 4 or 8 voices.

4 Likes

I think there is room for a lot of newness in FM sound synthesis despite it being around now for 50 years. (John Chowning)

3 Likes

agree with you…and John Chowning ^^

1 Like

FM is currently my favorite sound design tool. So capable and so quickly able to get weird. <3

FM dedicated synthesis would be the only thing I could imagine Elektron doing that would entice me to buy

2 Likes

Agreed Ryan! And another place for doing new FM synth stuff is with the human interface and control interfaces.

1 Like

This hypothetical DM with the DT would be an amazing combination- if it could also midi sequence I would be in love.

I’m actually getting excited over this hypothetical device.

But yes, Elektron doing legitimate 6 op FM(Or hell, give FM8 a run for its money and I will get really excited) in it’s Elektron style would be superb. And FM synthesis makes really exciting percussive sounds- sample that into the DT for beat making. Oooh baby! Sign me up!

2 Likes

yeah!! nice combo with digitakt … I’m excited too ^^

1 Like

Fewer ops (like 4) are OK too if you have a wider choice of wave patterns. The original FM synths were sine wave only. (Sorry if going off-topic.)

1 Like

Yeah- I’m not an FM pro, so I probably don’t need more than 4 tbh(I’m just a maximalist, I suppose)

1 Like

Dear Elektronauts, dear Elektron development team,

I would like to share the idea [creative commons] for a new Elektron synth. It’s just a brief outline; feel free to add your own thoughts and wishes! :slight_smile:

– easy-to-use wavetable poly-synth module (maybe with additional FM options like the SY-22), combined with the fabulous Elektron sequencer;
– as a complement to the Digitakt (same size, similar layout) and all the other Elektron boxes: for pads, athmospheric sounds etc.;
– might take its inspiration from digital classics such as Ensoniq Fizmo, Yamaha SY-22/35, Korg Wavestation, Roland D-50 and JD-800, PPG Wave, Waldorf Wave, Microwave and Blofeld (but also from VSTs such as Wave’s Codex or Tone2’s Icarus);
– might also take its inspiration from the amazing Monomachine (R.I.P.);

Since there is already enough enough VAs out there, and there isn’t really a digital synth like that in the prize-range between 650–800€ (currently there’s only the Blofeld and the Micromonsta), Elektron could totally rock the party. Also, it would clearly build upon the company’s proud digital tradition (SID, Monomachine).

Basic Specifications:

HARDWARE:
– white/grey box with a deep blue screen
– 2-dimensional vector joystick (for synth mode (1) and (2); see below – stick movement recordable [there’s probably not enough space on the front panel though; so alternatively the cursor keys might be used in a “performance mode” instead])

SOUND ENGINE:
– 16 voices (let’s be realistic)
– 3 switchable modes: (1) 8 individual duo-phonic tracks; (2) 4 individual four-note tracks; (3) one 4-layer-poly-mode (somewhat like the JD-800)

– 5 synth pages per track (same layout like the Digitakt):
(1) MACHINE: wavetables (up to two oscillators per track; incl. several types of noise; option to load user-generated waves via USB, transient manipulation); with A-D-type pitch envelope (switchable polarity);
(2) FILTER: several types, with full envelope;
(3) AMP: with full envelope, glide, pan, drive etc.;
(4) FX: chorus, (granular) delay, (aetheral) reverb, flanger, bit and sample rate reduction;
(5) LFO: 2 asignable LFOs (wave, mode – e.g. S+H –, speed, multiplier; BPM sync-able or free running)

– Elektron sequencer (individual time-division per track for longer sequences)
– 8 additional midi tracks (like on the Digitakt)
– Arpeggiator (maybe taken from the Monomachine)!
– one additional stereo-OUTput (asignable to one individual track)
– also: get Biosphere to do some of the presets!

That’s about it. Tell me what you think!

4 Likes

not really interested in a frequency modulation synth at all.

would very much like to play an Elektron version/interpretation of the Juno 106 with the p-lock Elektron sequencing and so forth, with onboard octaver and dual tube preamp.

also maybe a completely reimagined song arranging instrument could be fun, not sure how or why.

you mean, me? :slight_smile:
or is there actually a biosphere person doing presets too?

1 Like

quite well known … in some circles ! :wink:

5 Likes

I hope they make a new digi synth to replace the mnm. love the dt form factor (2 rows of 8 trigs) but I really hope they keep the depth of their older boxes. lots of lfos, destinations, arp, rtim etc.

3 Likes
3 Likes