What's next for Elektron?

I haven’t read most of the thread but I did see a looper mentioned. To me this is a no-brainer next step for Elektron.

The looper should be attractive to both guitarists and mono synth players. Thus, I am envisioning a mono product to keep the price down, though of course if it was capable of handling stereo material that would be a bonus for many.

I’d like to see the loop able to be treated with “effects” while the dry signal running through the box (picture Analog Drive sized, floor-friendly for guitarists) can either bypass the effects or also run though them.

The “effects” – 2 of the best overdrive circuits from the Analog Heat; an envelope follower; an analog filter; some digital effects (bit reduction; reverse, perhaps reverb). Two inputs for expression pedals that can be assigned to control any of the above. Most people might just use one but it’s worth adding a second pedal for those who want to really use the looper as an instrument.

Perhaps farfetched, but I’d like to see a sequencer of sorts that could pick up the tempo from the live playing, then divide it into 16 beats, then assign parameter locks to each step; similarly, the ability to record expression pedal activity for 16 beats then repeat it after the player ceases use of the expression pedal.

The craziest version would have sixteen guitar pedal style footswitches, each of which could be held down while the other foot used the expression pedal to set parameter locks (live) for that slice of the loop. Tapping a single time on one of the 16 pedals would mute that slice. (Maybe instead of dividing the beats into 16 even time steps it indeed could slice the recorded audio using the technology of the envelope follower?) No, I’m not smoking weed, just letting the mind run wild: a looper as a live instrument, as never implemented before.

The Lo Fi Loop Junky is brilliant, if you have never tried one. Definitely very limited but then again the Mona Lisa never stops smiling…

I believe this is the product about which Zvex stated that the recorded loop was stored in the analog circuitry in such a way that if there was a nuclear war and civilization was destroyed, some future archaeologist could unearth the device and listen to your groove.

They didn’t put it quite like that, but it was the general idea…

I also tried the Instant Lo Fi Junky, which applies the same tonal effects as the Loop Junky, but only to a live signal. Somehow this was far less compelling to me.

Word!

What about an analog dynamic-processor shaped like the AH?

2 Likes

Would love to see a bang on tape/wonky/lofi effect on all Elektron boxes. BOC kind of thing with a bunch of parameters that went from ‘nice tape sim’ to totally messed up like Chase bliss Warped Vinyl pedal. You can dial in kind of ‘vaguely’ similar with LFO/distortion/filter etc but it’s a vibe killer and uses up those parameters. Should be a staple effect next to delay/reverb etc… Not a separate box BTW :wink: Internal on all future machines…

that’d be amazing (I’ve got warped vinyl, tonal recall & zvex lo fi junkie, my fave pedals ever:) ) but it’d ruin the magic it being so readily available, everyone would be usin it :wink:

1 Like

7 posts were merged into an existing topic: Chase Bliss effects pedals

I would wager $50 the next product from Elektron is a specially designed bag for the DK. with modular cyborg accessories or something cool. maybe a built-in rechargeable speaker.

I think it’ll be Cenk based house items - curtains, duvets, warhol canvases, toothbrush holder… All with that loveable little face/grin beaming out :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Elektron toilet paper - as you pull the roll, music is played. Adjust tempo by changing pull speed. Song mode included via linking multiple sheets together.

Ive always wanted Elektron to do a proper granular synth. Perhaps DT can deliver something similar with its freely moveable fixed sample length thing.

I do think a digital synth has to be on the agenda. Surely a DT format 8 voice MnM device could stick to the “simpler” ethos of the DT. Allow the voice’s to be fluid like the A4/K for polyphony and you would have a wonderful device.

3 Likes

I think we’ll see some more foot pedals from them next, just out of the blue and available to buy like last time. What’s to say they don’t keep expanding their market in other unexpected ways, like with a digitally modelled tube amp or something weird like that? Digitakt will be a hit, I think, and I’m guessing they’d probably like all of their products to be hits. But the new UI and form factor and design of the DT, its a shame the AH just missed out on it. Honestly all the complaints they receive about what box does or doesn’t have, it would be cool to see the whole current lineup get a DT-style revamp, fixing little quirks here and there - the OT could get the DT screen and trig improvements, and sampling workflows, the A4 could get its individual outs and the AR a better input, sampling capability and maybe ext Midi sequencing on both. And hell just refresh the AH to the new style too. I don’t think it would diminish the current models and they’d still be coveted and well priced on the second hand market. But it would bring everything they have into the present day without necessarily having to reinvent the wheel.

Something Elektron haven’t done before is a kindve dedicated bass box, well maybe the sidstation was that box. I could definately see them putting out a bass machine in the new format. But if they did do something MnM esque I’d certainly be intrigued to see how it moulded to the new format. While delay and verb sends are cool its been a staple on their past 3 instruments, its a shame to not see a different type of effect send here or there just to spice up the character between the machines.

Still, I think the DT will prove surprisingly useful in music making, I like its simple concept. Its warmed to me over the last few months from being a ‘don’t care’ to considering a pre-order :slight_smile:

Would be cool as an analog effect within the forthcoming boxes for sure. Strymon quality tape sim with crinkle/wow/flutter if it must be digital. But, yeah that would be righteous, :wink:

I’m holding out for the Cuckoo curtains, myself.

4 Likes

DT is more like the UW part of Machinedrum than OT.
ctrl all etc.

I could see them bringing out a MM & synthesis part of MD combo in DT style next. Digisynth.
I don’t think I’d buy it tho.

2 Likes

Elektron users and your abbreviations… It’s like your own code. I understand the obvious OT, A4, DT… But you guys loose me with UW, MM, MD… :sunglasses:

1 Like

Mduw is machinedrum with sampling. Mm or mnm is monomachine.

1 Like

:+1:

If they release a monomachine and machinedrum in Digitakt format, I rather see them doing it in separate products. I would love them to do that! The workflow on Digitakt looks much improved and simplified. A MM and MD in DT format with Overbridge + the new effects… OMG. Instant buy.
MonoTakt & DrumTakt. (However they should have named DigiTakt SamplTakt. Im sure there will be other digital machines in this format)

1 Like

Digi = digital
Takt = beat in swedish

So the digital beat maker is digitakt.

A new MM would probably be something like Digiwav, MD maybe digidrum

1 Like

My prediction is that the next one will be a MM-like synth called Digitone.
“Takt og tone”

6 Likes

yep I’d say MM is Next. tenner bets :slight_smile: