Wandering between genres

your album sounds interesting fwiw.

and what you describe is exactly the type of path one should take imo.

when something resonates with me i also geek out about it and try and parse it as much as i can.
i also got obsessed with warp stuff, and fourtet, since his rounds and pause, read up on interviews and the process behind it. went into reaktor and generative music only to discover dilla and have my world changed.

i would say try and find the commonalities of all of those musical expressions, which for me i find its mostly the soul infused in the work. even at their most opaque and technical, autechre has a so much emotion to them.
for some reason though artist that emulate a particular style dont quite achieve that. i cant for instance stand tycho and the paint by numbers copy of the boards of canada. its has only the veneer and none of the substance.
ironically BOC albums sound as a copy of themselves these days too.

dont know how old you are but i really believe that all of those influences settle and become your vocabulary. nothing gets lost. you just incorporate and synthesize into your own expression.
its a place found by not searching for it though.

2 Likes

Exactly how I feel. For me at least, I think if I try to make money off of what I love, off of my passions, I will no longer love it. & I care too much about this.

I create by feel, I basically turn my mind off & just go. Total freedom. If all of a sudden I had deadlines, had to make a specific style of song for someone, ect, ect there’s no freedom in that. & it’s 1 of the things I love most about creating (freedom from the mind).

I would be ok with selling beats I already made or performing songs I already made, things like that. Problem is it could slowly move in to the direction I don’t want to go. Money has a way of doing that & I’m sure it has happened to a lot of artists.

4 Likes

You have a fantastic website, by the way.

http://nightsatan.com/band

1 Like

You should watch the movie. We wanted to make a music video for one song but it came out as a 25 minute post apocalyptic action movie.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Working on many genres as well. Its a dumb idea if one is thinking about a career (not me!), but just too fun not to do :nyan:

2 Likes

1 Like

Great Music, cool idea on the synth-metal…Something like a reversed Rammstein kind of thing :smile:

1 Like

I’d like to bring back and inspect something from the original post. @Unifono said they’d tried making music which sounded like Aphex, and then Shadow.

I suspect there’s a lot to learn from asking this question: what makes Aphex or Shadow sound like themselves?

On the face of it, neither artist sounds like themselves. The first three Shadow LPs are all completely different from each other. He doesn’t even stick to one tempo range. The first 10years of Aphex’ work sound wildly diverse—acid, ambient, the shimmery industrial On-era stuff. People don’t really talk much about the Syro period (at least, not around me), which arguably is his most consistent “like itself” work.

So, what is genre? What is musical identity? What is “voice”? How can you “sound like Aphex” when Aphex doesn’t sound like Aphex most of the time?

(Most of these are rhetorical questions for self-analysis and group discussion. I have no answers).

Perhaps a more focused question: how can you use your skills/interests/gear/personality to make music in any mood or genre that still sounds like you?

3 Likes