Video: Ned Rush's take on the Octatrack comb filter

yeah. A sample chain with noisy sounds, then modulate the start parameter. Lovely

1 Like

That was awfy guid. I suppose you could have the phone plugged in to the inputs with an acquaintance talking shite in the other end and use that. Or anything.

1 Like

what does awy mean?

1 Like

Comb Filter might be my fav fx on OT…perfect for tuned basskicks d^_^b

1 Like

Awfy guid essentially means very good

1 Like

I’ve been neglecting the comb filter apparently, that was cool. Is there an arp for CC values out there?

I wondered how our own @darenager achieved all these tones from just the Wilhelm scream sample: That was the Open Lab challenge back in the elektron-users forum days - make a tune on the OT with this one specific sample - no other samples allowed.

He must have made heavy use of the Comb Filter to achieve the melody lines as well as the bass line. I’ve fooled around with sequencing a comb filter melody out of audio slices taken from looped viola noises (scratching sounds, animal grunting sounds done by bowing a certain way on low strings, etc.). so I have some idea how much work it must have taken him.

Nice tutorial by Ned Rush btw.

2 Likes

head explode! can’t wait to experiment with this. Thx!!!

1 Like

The Science Lab using only 2 seconds of noise changed my life. People posted lots of great comb filter tips in that thread. The Wilhelm Scream Science Lab was cool too. Here’s a thread where @darenager explains how he made the track in the vid you posted. Other great tips in this thread too, including one of my faves: Using the comb filter to tune your entire drum track to the key of your song: OT comb filter - how and where to use?

EDIT: Speaking of the comb filter and that 2-seconds-of-noise Science Lab, one of my favorite OT tracks ever is by @neilbaldwin in which he continuously repositioned a cascade of record trigs to produce this: https://soundcloud.com/neilbaldwin/eff-bee-bee

2 Likes

Shit, the last part sounds like some AE stuff at times - really lovely video!

1 Like

Thanks @GovernorSilver and @robotunes - I used to love participating in the science labs, I ended up releasing my favourite ones as an album here:

I don’t remember how many tracks on the tune in the video I used the comb filter but it was at least 3 IIRC, the sounds on each track were all made from that same scream sample by using very short looped sections, heavy use of filter for things like BD and bass line, hi hats, comb filter to provide body for the melodic sounds and also the kind of tubey/phasey bit via LFO.

Edit - ha, just remembered I used to have track 6 of this album as my ringtone. (From about 17 seconds in)

Edit 2 - Track 3 - Play 4 Ca$h also uses the comb filter quite extensively.

8 Likes

I registered on Elektronauts in order to take part on the “this is not only a simple looping device” hektor science lab :slight_smile: OT eye opener, loved it.
Just as an unnecessary sidenote :sweat_smile:
Was it the last science lab challenge? It’s been years

I agree. They used so many Karplus strong like sounds Oversteps and Exai.

Going OT for a bit - @neilbaldwin used to post some great submissions in the science labs, also creator of one of my favourite sid tunes ever, back in the heady days of the C64 (1987) incredible!

Balders - you still out there homie?

5 Likes

This is a pretty good method but I came up with a method to do a true Karplus-Strong algorithm (this isn’t actual K-S synthesis, this is much simpler, the actual algorithm involves filtered feedback at a certain point in the signal path) on the OT using two tracks and a hard feedback loop, I just don’t have a way to make a decent video of it right now.

This is way more practical than real Karplus-trong, though, since it doesn’t need you to sacrifice two track, your cue output, and an input. My method is more practical for resampling than for live performance, but using a ringing comb filter gets you pretty close to bread and butter Karplus-Strong with a lot less hassle.

Not only was that super good, but I love how you turned a scream into a rather pleasant and uplifting tune. :smiley:

These are excellent, nice work

1 Like

Thanks @Open_Mike and @yobink :thup:

1 Like

I registered 2 months before and did that Science Lab too, after 3 months with OT. :wink:

Not as good as @darenager but it was very interesting to learn how to use OT deeper.
I mostly use retrigs controlled by midi tracks to make notes, comb filters at the end.
I would use comb filters more now.

https://soundcloud.com/user-475861059/ot-sezare56-loop-king

To control Comb Filters notes with Arp you need a midi processor, it works really well !
Lfo designer can be interesting too.

3 Likes

Ah LFO designer, there’s a thought. I haven’t got a midi processor at the moment but that should work, nice one

Definitely more expressive with a midi processor.
Mapping :
Notes on to Comb CC notes, max MIX.
Notes off to min MIX
Velocity to Feedback and LP
Aftertouch or Modwheel to an lfo depth, tune dest for vibrato…

I already tested that, next time I have to test it poly.

1 Like