Video editing software

I am remastering my crappy videos this weekend using Final Cut software on Mac. What is your favorite video editor and why? Open to tips for video production because this is new to me.

#1 tip: you need quality video material first.

Mastering crappy videos make no sense to me. Crap in, crap out, you know?

2 Likes

it is more about a learning process dude. Experiment with the crap I have so next batch is premo quality vids

3 Likes

Premiere Pro. Because its available on Windows. No real alternative here, so: Nothing to say about it. It just works :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I use Sony Vegas Pro and like it. Easy to use and good. As deep as you want.

1 Like

Premier Pro. Fast and no hassle

Another vote for Vegas, bough a copy from humble bundle for 20 or 30 bucks. Can’t beat it at that price

2 Likes

Ditched Premiere for Davinci Resolve. You get an NLE, a compositor, industry standard colour grading suite and decent audio tools in one package. The free version comes with 95% of the features, and the paid upgrade is only $300/£225.
The only drawback is that you need a dedicated gpu - pretty sure most Macs’ mobile GPUs will qualify.

2 Likes

Davinci Resolve is pretty good if you don’t want to get into Adobe subscriptions, for basic stuff it’s free too IIRC.

Edit: Also not so basic stuff, there are a lot of features before you need to think about upgrading.

1 Like

He is right though dude, by all means experiment. You can get cool stuff out of an old crappy vhs camcorder. It’s about your creativity. Still though depends if you’re into lofi cause generally speaking

In my experience once you start getting any decent level of quality video the work quickly becomes pretty intense on your computer so be prepared for that. Also of course it depends on what you intend to do with the video, basic cutting and composing of lower quality vids shouldn’t be too cpu intensive but my Mac struggles a bit with live video stuff I’ve played with

1 Like

Final cut pro is excellent on the Mac, especially if you have a reasonably fast or recent one.

1 Like

thanks it is a learning process and in the long run may even help me land work once the skills and experience are there!

If the goal is to film a piece of gear, share some knowledge or a creative use. A few text bubbles, intro and outro maybe. Then I would stick to the ipad + lumafusion and work on it on the commute.

Just a thought, I prefer staring out the window on my commutes :eyes::eyes::eyes::eyes:

1 Like

Yup Final Cut Pro X for sure. Got a lot of flac when it was first released but it has come a very loooong way / definitely my favorite and free tech support is a phone call away…

2 Likes

Big fan of premiere for video editing. If you looking for something free and interesting there’s vsdc. It’s non linear so it takes a minute to get used to.

Worked with Final Cut Pro and Davinci Resolve, but using Premiere Pro mostly recently because of the workflow with other apps like After Effects and Photoshop. Color correction and grading is also very easy and quick. Although I still use Resolve for better grading.

Made some progress today. Here is some edited cleaned up video

2 Likes

What do you mean it’s non-linear? All computer-based video editors are non-linear. We abandoned linear video editing when video tape recorders went out of style. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

decent video. cool framing and enjoyable angles … replete with a minimal cool text intro! And the audio isn’t distorted so hey presto, cool video.

FCP should do just fine, or iMovie for simpler tasks.

1 Like

Thanks yeah I switched to iMovie for most editing as it is way easier to figure out how to do simple things like splice video/audio, cropping tasks and adding titles/fades than FCP which is a monster to learn. Plus since I have a Mac already free. I probably won’t do this for all my past YT videos as it would take forever but future ones should be much better quality moving forward.

Regarding the iphone 6, I have video quality set to 1080 HD but notice the videos are fuzzy. Any way to fix that in imovie by chance?