Very little headroom

My OT MK2 seems to struggle with headroom. Anyone have the same experience or have tips for getting more volume out of your THRU tracks. I think the compressor kinda kills the mix, I also noticed it effects the whole mix no matter what track it’s on.

1 Like

Ya know, I barely use thru tracks and one of the reasons is their extremely low volume. I don’t think it’s the headroom that’s low, it’s that the OT lowers the output of thrus…

They are significantly lower in volume than mixer direct, pickup machine monitoring, or buffer rec/playback…

I end up cranking the amp vol way up around 50 to compensate, and full track volume…

1 Like

There’s a hefty “gain staging” thread somewhere.
I don’t struggle with it, but it’s taken a while to dial things in, and I am still always trying to comprehend it completely.
I’m definitely not missing a lack of volume or presence.

1 Like

I bought ot mk2 last week
This made me return it
I expected elektron to solve this
Unfortunately they didnt

or maybe there wasn’t much wrong - keep in mind the OT MK2 inputs are deliberately capable of taking very HOT signals - feed it correctly, use it wisely and there’s probably nothing to be concerned about

I also don’t understand the title -surely if the thru tracks are low it’s because there’s too much headroom

4 Likes

Not a big user of THRU tracks but I would’ve thought using the gain section on mixer would’ve allowed a decent level into the (THRU) track.

Ill check my mk1 out just now

It’s not the gain that should be adjusted, you can get a healthy signal into the OT without upping the gain, and with this signal you get a good level from mixer direct or pickup machine monitoring, but with thru tracks the output signal is much lower.

So the thru track is getting the same input level as the other monitoring methods and shouldn’t need input gain adjusted, it’s the output that needs to be brought back up… Amp vol–>50.

3 Likes

Yup seems this way on mk1…just tested…

Easy to get a good level into mixer section(AB in). with gain at 0db.

I need my amp volume very high before I get an output that id recon was at unity with input.

One of my buttons permanently turned Blue so sweetwater just sent me a new OT, this one struggles not to distort on my thru tracks and internal as well. It’s pretty obvious the one they sent me was someone else’s return because the flash card came in a plastic bag rather than the hard case it should have arrived in. Pretty frustrating

Can’t speak to the MKII, but on the MKI if I set the main output volume to +12 and leave everything else at default settings I get unity gain (judging both by ear and from measuring levels) from Thru machines.