Using Digitakt to control Ableton MIDI tracks

Given that Overbridge hasn’t yet arrived, how do I use the Digitakt to control Ableton MIDI tracks? I’m absolutely no expert with MIDI, so any input from you guys has to be given in really simple terms. (I try to avoid MIDI as much as possible because it often mystifies me.)

Here are my problems:

1. I want to use the Digitakt to activate VST plugins in Ableton for some single track recordings.

2. I’m traveling at the moment, so I only have the Digitakt with me. I want to use it in chromatic mode as essentially a keyboard controller.

3. As I understand it, USB is out of the question in connecting the Digi as a controller because there is no Overbridge. Am I able to simply plug the Elektron USB cable from my Digitakt into my laptop running Ableton Live, and use it as a MIDI controller that way?

4. Or do I need to run audio out from my Digi into my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, then USB out and into my laptop and into Ableton Live?

2 Likes

You don’t need Overbridge to control vst’s. I control a few just fine in my regular setup. I’m not home so I can’t give exact directions at the moment but just connect the Digitakt to your computer via usb, go into Ableton’s midi settings and make sure Digitakt is synced. Now in the midi input section of each midi channel choose the Digitakt and set them both to the same channel. It’s very easy. If you have trouble reply to this and let me know and I’ll post screenshots of the proper settings in a few hours.

I appreciate the reply, but I’ve got MIDI preferences set to Digitakt input and Digitakt output. Both the Digi’s MIDI configuration and Ableton Live MIDI track are set to Channel 1.

So, what exactly am I doing wrong?

What I need to do is have a piece of recorded audio on Audio Track 1. And then I need to have a MIDI track (with output set to Audio Track 1) equipped with the plugin, which is being controlled by the Digitakt.

On the Digitakt Midi track, you have to:
-Go to a midi track
-Enable the midi channel by pushing function and the knob with an X in it(you do this for every CC you want to assign
-Ableton tracks default to Auto/All, so either make sure Monitor is switched to “On” or the track you’re wanting to control is currently the active track

1 Like

I’ve got track MIDI A set to Chan 1. Nothing.

Nothing’s working. I don’t have the patience to troubleshoot this. I’m only doing this for a writing gig, not for my own personal music production.

Can confirm this does work for sequences, although the last time I tried it sending midi ccs to vsts by turning the encoders caused some bugginess. Have not tried past v 1.04. But yeah, it’s definitely possible to sequence or play chromatically from the Digitakt as long as the vst synth and midi track are on the same channel.

First make sure in the Digitakt MIDI Settings the MIDI Out is set to USB. Then in Ableton check if the MIDI IN Port is shown and selected in the preferences.Then create a MIDI track and select the Digitakt as MIDI in. If you want to use different tracks you also need to set the channel for that track according to what you have set in the Digitakt . Then on the Digitakt activate e.g. track as @Ryan explained. You should see the midi activity “lights” blink when you play a track on the Digitakt. Additionally you can activate external sync in Live so that you can use synced delays and stuff (Sync settings need to be set in Settings). Good luck

2 Likes

Alright, I’ll give this a shot and I will report back.

I’m having the same trouble. No response from ableton whatsoever regarding tracking. DT appears in the midi input and output, I’ve tried several different channels and the output configuration in DT is configured for USB.
Funny thing is I can sync DT to ableton live, but regarding track I have no response.
@Simulacrumb Did you get to make it work?

No, I basically gave up. For the life of me I cannot understand why something that should be so easy is so damned difficult.

I’m using Cubase and the Digitakt midi tracks are very cool when sending note data and midi cc to one or many vst plug-ins.

Since you can have multiple midi tracks on the Digitakt sending to the same midi channel (same instrument) there’s a lot of happy accidents. Especially when having different track step lengths on the Digitakt.

Don’t give up, read some in the Ableton manual and keep trying, it’s worth it.

2 Likes

Screenshots of your Ableton settings in the Midi panel in Preferences and of the I/O section of the tracks to be controlled (in session view) would help direct you. I’m controlling VSTis in Ableton with my Digitakt no problem.

1 Like

I think this is hit or miss with certain machines. I was never able to get stabl midi control of Ableton from the Digitakt. It would work for a few seconds and mysteriously stop. This was all the way up to v1.08. I had everything set up correctly and it would work on occasion but sometimes the DT just wouldn’t respond/send anymore at all, even when fully mapped.

I’ve been able to do this. I use the 8 midi tracks on the DT to control 8 instrument racks in Ableton. Usually I fill the racks with Simplers/Samplers. Pretty fun, especially when mapping controllers to macros and sending LFOs, though no shortage of modulation capabilities in the DAW. I also use the Ableton sequencer to sequencer external synths, and the DT is slave to Ableton. The only hiccup is that the DT often misses the first beat when hitting “play” in Ableton. oh well. Sometimes I’ll switch it up and slave Ableton to the DT. When doing that some things can get weird though. Often I’ll just keep sync off and play Ableton “live” from the DT.

1 Like

Hey there, I don’t know if you already found it but I just did. Basically using midi learn. check out http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2019/01/31/controlling-vst-plugins-with-elektron-digitakt/ it works the same with ableton. Cheers

Question, has anyone been able to set up the DT/DN so its knobs can control the 8 macros of the currently selected device? like a push or launch control. I assume it involves some messing with control surface scripts and sysex but was hoping someone else had already put in the work?

@Anfim
Not sure it will help but I use my DT (MIDI slaved to Maschine) as a macro controller for my VSTs effects/Instruments as well as external synths.
Works great :slight_smile:

In Ableton Preferences Link/MIDI, you have to highlight REMOTE from the Input : Elektron Digitakt (Digitone). After that, you will be able to assign MIDI CC’s by clicking the MIDI button in the upper right corner of Ableton, then click on the Macro knob of the Instrument and turn one of the DT/DN encoder (knob).

1 Like

yes, but this only allows you to control a single set of parameters without reassigning right? If you’ve ever used an akai or novation controller, the assignments automatically jump to the 8 knobs of whichever plugin you have selected.

Yes. That’s how it works with DT/DN. I don’t think they are programmed like dedicated Ableton Controllers.