Using Analog Keys as MIDI Controller?

Hey guys. So I’m thinking about upgrading my Analog Four to an Analog Keys. As much as I’m loving the Analog Four, it would be nice to have it as a completely standalone synthesizer without me having to lug a MIDI keyboard around with it to play it.

Obviously the Analog Keys would be more beneficial here but if I were to buy it, I would hope to use it both for the synthesizer and to replace the MIDI keyboard in my current studio setup. Have any of you have any experience doing this? My goal would be to connect the keyboard with USB so that I can use all the functionality of Overbridge while also being able to use the keyboard to control any VST’s or whatever else I might want to use.

Does using the keyboard to control the Analog Keys as well as any potential MIDI instruments cause any conflict? Would I have to keep changing modes in the settings or anything if I want to change between using the keyboard to control the synth directly vs. sending the MIDI to Ableton?

What have people’s experience been using the Analog Keys as a MIDI controller?

Thanks!

1 Like

There is a dedicated button by the joystick that turns the AK into a midi controller. The key bed plays beautifully, and aftertouch is transmitted also. The joystick also transmits any midi CC info you want. Whatever sequence you have playing just continues as programed while you control the exterior synth. I’ve gotten great results playing a Striechfett, an Evolver, and a Reface DX.

I never used the knobs to send midi CC, but I think they do. You’ll have to research it.

5 Likes

Also: the midi menu allows the AK to be set to simultaneously send midi while playing the AK. So you can blend the sound of multiple synths very easily.

5 Likes

Hi

Have been using the AK as a master midi keyboard since day one.

Currently it drives my Squarp Pyramid that then routes to everything else - including playing back to the AK via DIN MIDI.

I use the MIDI ext button to go from local control to master mode.

Nothing has EVER gone awry doing this. Sync stays. Delay is imperceptible.

g

7 Likes

I use my AK as midi controller via my OT. This gives me eight destinations, which I can switch in OT-midi mode on the fly. All major midi commands/functions work as I need them … note on/off, velocity, aftertouch, the joystick etc. It was plug’n play like :wink:

4 Likes

I only vaguely understand what you’re talking about, can you make a vid?

Sorry, no time for a video, but I hope, I can explain the principle …

1. AK -->(midi) --> OT --> (midi) --> other gear
  2. OT is in midi-mode, listening to AK, and one of the eight midi tracks is selected and set up to send to one of the 16 midi channels
  3. AK is set to midi-mode too and sends to “auto-channel” of OT

Now the OT routes incoming midi automatically via it’s midi-track to dedicated channels.

I use this to play gear live or to use it to record a sequence live or stepwise.

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing will definitely try this

Not sure what the Swedes were thinking here, either. But the AK does have a sustain button (Hold), also on the right side right by the Midi button. Once you get used to it, it’s about the same.

1 Like

I just ordered a midi host to try this with my op-1 to send to my A4, MnM, and AR(possibly even my MPC-have to do some learning).

Thanks for this juicy bit of advice!

You, sir, are a genius! This method is a game changer! Thanks again!

1 Like

You’re wellcome … glad to hear that it was helpful … now … make more music and have more fun :smiley:

1 Like

One more question. How do you expand the OTs midi tracks to 16?

Ooops … there is a difference between tracks vs channels.

In my second bullet I wanted to say that the OT can address on each midi-track 1 to 8 one of the midi channels 1 through 16. AFAIK the OT is not expandable.

Sorry if that was misleading :frowning:

1 Like

Gotcha. Thanks, I must have misread that. I’ve heard that the MnM was able to expand to 12 by replacing voices. I thought, maybe the same was true of the OT.

Thanks!

The Machinedrum is the only Elektron box that as far as I know can have all 16 tracks control 16 MIDI channels. But you can still assign any of the 16 MIDI channels to any of the 8 MIDI tracks on the Octatrack.

I recall reading that you can switch the mnm’s audio channels to midi channels if need be

That could certainly be the case. I have never touched the MnM before. On the A4 and Keys you can assign the FX or some of the audio tracks to be CV tracks. I’m guessing up to four tracks total given the outputs.

Huh. I didn’t know about that. Though, I don’t have any CV gear, so I can’t really utilize that yet. Good on Elektron to make their gear usable in a plethora of ways!

Hi, not sure if I should create a new thread or not, but I’m having a trouble getting MIDI CC working to virtual synths. I can see the messages getting to the DAW (Logic Pro X) but the values seem to be messed up. For example, I have a knob/encode assigned to a virtual synth cutoff, but when I change it on the AK, it just jerks around in the DAW UI, and basically stays as 0. Is there something special I need to do to get this working smoothly?

Also, is it possible to have the AK control the start/stop in my DAW? What about record?

Thanks! I’m a new AK user, and really excited about this new instrument - my first synth!

Cheers,

• Matt