Uses for mapping "Gate" trigger

just wondering if anyone uses and knows how the “Gate” trigger version of the Global mapping parameter option works?

i was watching a tutorial on a synthesizer and it had a sequencer, the reviewer mentioned the sequencer had a “Gate” trigger mode, where it would play one note forwards at a time each time a note arrived on a particular midi channel …

they didn’t actually play or show this, although seemed very impressed with the entire scenario and said it was very “techno”.

Only used here occasionally but, from the manual, page 60:

When set to GATE the Machinedrum pattern will start to play once receiving a MIDI NOTE ON command and stop when receiving a MIDI NOTE OFF command. This basically means that a pattern will play for as long as a key is being held on the external trigging device.

So, basically you could use the MD like a synth module that has up to 16 layers playing (synthesis, samples, or external input signal) on each incoming MIDI Note, and have the sound be completely different for each MIDI Note…

That’s a bit different to the MD’s feature.

1 Like

interesting … and so with all the Patterns on the Machinedrum having a potential corresponding Midi note trigger, they could all potentially be temporarily triggered (only one at a time, but different ones over say a four bar Pattern) by the input of a Midi track’s sequence from the Octatrack, if the track was on the correct channel?

afaik the OT Midi sequencer sends a “note off” command at the completion of each sequenced note.

Yes.

1 Like

fascinating.

not quite sure how this could be implemented usefully, although really i guess it’s more like something that should be explored before judging whether it has any applicable application.

maybe if the bassdrum were muted, possibly also the snare drum locations muted - wherever that may be, the rest of the pattern sequenced notes would sound cool if trigged from different patterns for a note or two at a time.

many possibilities i guess although each pattern will start from bar one, whatever the Gate time.

as regards the ‘techno’ vibe of the other type of gate sequencing, i think it was via control voltage perhaps. gate step sequence external control of the synth’s sequencer, perhaps.

love this. very cogent explanation of the potential sounds to explore.

1 Like