[User Waveforms]

Hi :elmm: users!

I would like to now… Which program do you use to create one cycle waveforms?
I want to use my personal waveforms in the MnM!

I created some nice sounds with the Operator -ableton, but the waveforms use the .ams extension…

What can I do?

Thanks!

You can make it with any audio editor, if you search on google you will find a lot of people using audacity because it’s a good free audio editor

http://groovesizer.com/make-your-own-single-cycle-waveforms/

3 Likes

Thanks for your reply!
I found a solution to convert .ams in wav (just put the ams file in an audio track and then choose “consolidate”) but, the waves are like 48 semitones above the normal note, do you have a solution?

What is the max length for a user waveform ?
Can you plock them to make a sliced loop ?

You should check out this dudes video

2 Likes

The max time is about 0.1 seconds in practice. After that, no amount of transposing will get you back to the original pitch. The longer you go beyond one cycle, the higher it will get transposed up when you play it back.

If you stitch a bunch of smaller waves together by LFO’ing through them, you get the “sampling upgrade”. With 0.1 seconds and 64 slots, you can get 6.4 seconds into the Mono, which is more than some of the vintage boxes (Casio RZ-1 for example had 0.8 seconds).

3 Likes

Thanks, I watched your very interesting video (and a few others :thup:), but I’m not convinced of the result with a voice. I’d like to do it on drums, and I usually use Amen Break for tests. :wink:
I tried to do similar stuff with Blofeld’s wavetables, in order to modulate drums drastically.
No great results. Sold.
I don’t have a MnM, would love to experiment things like that with it.
I guess OT and MD are better for that purpose anyway. :slight_smile:

@sezare56 I always wanted to do some drum stuff but never got around to it.

1 Like

Just remembered this one with 808 cowbell and rimshot. All Monomachine.

5 Likes

Interesting example ! I guess you loaded 0.1s samples of cowbell and rim shot?

0.1s at 44.1khz, does it correspond to 4410 sample chunks exactly ?

I guess if the sample is 1 second that means 10 chunks

Not sure about chunk term. You mean 10 ice creams? :slight_smile:

I was citing yourself :stuck_out_tongue:
I mean ten 0.1 waves alocated in one wave slot each one

1 Like

Ok I think understand what you mean, but I meant 1s sample has 44100 sample “chunks”, so 4410 for 0.1s. :thinking::loopy:

if we are talking about sample cycles of 1 amplitude value then yes, 0.1 second waves are made of 4410 amplitude points

1 Like

Ok thanks, I’m french, read somewhere chunks, so should I say amplitude points ?
(Any shorter term?) :slight_smile:

Actually, they’re called “samples”. As in 44100 samples per second.

So a sampler samples sound as a sequences of samples. Sometimes said sequence of samples is also sighted as a “sample”. (Not to be confused with a sequencer sequencing samples.) Simple!

Sorry.

1 Like

Maybe you heard it in Python? Pyaudio refers to audio buffers as CHUNK, that chunk of data is a number of sample cycles, for example 1024.
@r1n9o, that’s right, they are called samples; “amplitude points” was a way of diferentiating them from the actual sound samples we are trying to divide in to wave slots

1 Like

Can’t tell where I read “chunks”. I know sample samples but it can be confusing.
Busy, I have to sample sample samples. :slight_smile:

1 Like

i don’t need stupid user waveforms. i have a better MK1 :slight_smile: