UPDATE! TRACK CHALLENGE: Bootleg Beats [Working with Distortion]

The only reason I didn’t get my beat done in time is I prefer the sp forum battles, so I started on that beat first & didn’t get it done in time to work on this one… mpc battles are set up like the sp battles, so I’m going to get involved in those next.

Too be completely honest I just thought this one was set up a little weird (don’t get me wrong tho, it’s a great idea & I would’ve joined if I had time)… for example, in the sp & mpc battles, everyone posts their beats in the thread…so you can see how many people entered, can listen to beats for inspiration, I also like to listen to the beats several times before voting. At deadline, a poll goes up. After the poll the winner starts the next battle. If there were a lot of entries or just amazing entries a mix is made.

In this battle we can’t hear the beats until after the mix is made… we have no idea how many people entered…& hopefully you got a decent amount of entries… if not, are you just going to make a 1 or 2 beat mix?

& I love the idea of dirty hip hop…with distortion as a theme…BUT…“must be mastered” PLUS mnroe is going to master it. Double mastering a dirty hip hop beat. I purposely don’t master my dirty hip hop…why?..it’s dirty.

Just some thoughts.

Maybe set up a thread asking what it would take for people to join the battles… then set the battles up with the suggestions in mind to create interest. Another reason I love the sp battles is they average 10 entries per battle, so a lot of people get involved, which makes it a lot of fun. The battle I set up last week had 12 entries.

& I mean no disrespect, at least mnroe took some initiative & got a battle goin…I hope there are future battles in this forum.

2 Likes

I was going to participate but I found the guidelines to restrictive for me. Absolutely loved the theme and wish I could hear what people have been coming up with

EVERYBODY IN THIS THREAD LISTEN UP

It is now past the hour submissions are due…

However…

I’ve been reading a few of your replies.

My intentions were to keep the Mission Briefs going and have all kinds of artists participate making it a fun and inviting place where everyone can share their work.

This is indeed the first time I’ve created a post in this thread. Most of the rules were something I believed followed the overall guidelines the Elektronauts forum Mission Breifs.

Now, I want to make this event something that everyone can participate in. Yet, this is the Elektron forum. Meaning, I was lead to believe the forum only wanted people with Elektron gear to participate, and I was worried that the contest would not be allowed. But that was just my assumption.

So here’s what I’m going to do

I’m going to answer to the people who really wanted to participate with contest updates. (please see the first post for changes)

1. I am going to update the deadline date further back. The deadline is now as of today JUNE 15TH 11pm U.S. PST

2. If it will be allowed by the forum, anyone can participate, elektron gear or not, in this mission. But I highly encourage those who do have elektron gear to use it.

3. Submissions can be submitted on the thread for voting. I realized there’s no need to announce the winners once all songs have been submitted.

4. Songs do not have to be masted, but at least mixed cohesively

5. There will still be a mix. It will be posted up on here for everyone to enjoy!

6. All other rules (sample source, length, naming, etc.) that have not be amended still apply.

For those who already submitted their work, you can either leave it as is or you can use the time to make any modifications and post it to the thread.

Hopefully these changes are in everyones favor.

Now git at it

Love
MNROE

2 Likes

MNROE,

This is a class move. :+1:

Nice - I hustled to get mine done, but it could always use a little more work. I’ll definitely take the time to make a few tweaks. I also tried a little bit of “mastering”, but kinda rushed through. Plus, because it’s all about distortion, mastering did seem to be counter-intuitive. Cheers, I’m hoping that the extra time means we get some more entries! Remember - Perfect is the enemy of Good. Send something in, have fun with it!

mostly live on a rytm1 with a few edits. i’ve re read rules, i’m using 4 samples in this from the source videos not just 1. might of forfeited.

8 Likes

Nice waftlord!
Ñ& mnroe, that’s great,I’m totally getting a beat done for this, thanks for extending the deadline & I completely understand why Elektron gear s/b used, it’s Elektronauts & in other forum battles it’s the same way. I fell in love with forum battles & since I’ve done nothing but sp battles for almost 2 months, I miss my other gear & need an sp battle break. So I’m pumped for this. This battle will get me to really push the Analog Heat & experiment with it.

Oh & waftlord, I think he meant you just have to use ATLEAST 1 sample from the material, the fact you used more isgreat, I was planning to do the same, I don’t think it’s against the rules, but maybe mnroe can confirm that…I could be wrong

Edit - Gonna start workin on my beat tmrw. I’ll def have somethin done by Friday…already ran a bunch of drum breaks thru the heat… I previouly sampled all the provided material & played around with some ideas, but I accidently deleted all of it. :confused:
It’s whatever tho. I’ll just sample it again :sunglasses:

1 Like

I’ve been using the extra time to tweak my submission. I’m going to wrap it up in the next couple days and re-submit. Looking forward to hearing all the tunes.

sweet

Thanks for the extended deadline! Was able to bring together something… 90 bpm, li’l fuzzy and growly… Just the octatrack on sample and sequence duty, digitone for arp, bass, pad and one fx-thing. Octatrack samples are all derived from the first video (was it something with space?. Octatrack audio out into Digitone, digitone into laptop, just a pinch of Fabfilter C2/L2 for extra Dutch-ness. First ‘track’ with octatrack by the way, usually I just jam for inspirational beats.

cheers

10 Likes

run_konputa_170_octatrack

5.3MB of samples arranged and sent as 2 track out to Reaper where I normalized and applied HPF and LPF. This was fun, I’m still messing around so I may upload a better version. Regardless, I figured I’d drop this to bump the thread again. This is the 1st time I’ve used distortion on every individual track, including the master. :laughing: Octatrack is running solo with no other synths or external processors. 1 808 bass drum, 1 909 bass drum, 1 707 snare and 1 707 hi hat were used in addition to the sample material provided for the challenge.

4 Likes

Here’s my official submission. After much tweaking, I’m almost not sure if I like it any better. Oh well, time’s up and I’m successful because this challenge got me going with my elektron gear. Cheers!

168.4 bpm dnb tune made inside the Digitakt with a couple of the vocal samples that I liked the best. Analog Heat providing the distortion with the Rough Crunch circuit.

4 Likes

I’m almost done with mine. Even with the extra time I STILL ran out of time. I just completely forgot about a few things I had to do over the weekend & then this week.

I get off work in 4 hours & I plan to work on this beat until time runs out.

I’m glad I posted in this thread above or else I would just say screw it & not submit a beat. This has been a tactic of mine. Post in the battle thread that I’m joinin in that way I’m more motivated to submit a beat & make time for it.

1 Like

Made mostly with a Rytm Mki. Lots of overdrive and bit reduction. The pad that comes in halfway through is from a Digitone. Most of it was sequenced with the Rytm’s song mode, but I used a performance macro for the snare stutter and manually muted/unmuted the Digitone.

It was mastered in Ableton with a sharp high-pass filter around 47 Hz and limited using Limiter6. Nothing fancy.

8 Likes

Didn’t get to finish, but didn’t want to be late! How I made the track is in the description & below

Put a couple vinyl drumbreaks & microkorg melody note on K.O., sampled each hit separate thru Analog Heat into Maschine Mk3, added bass guitar & samples from the first selection (space), Oh, the triplet isn’t a triplet, it"s a single hihat time stretched down a few times on the 404sx. played a little live thru KP3, added a few delay effects, AH on master, sampled into 404sx, resampled with eq, then a little vinyl sim.
Oh yea & I added a few scratches to make it sound like a got the vocals from vinyl

3 Likes

Mission Over

Good job everyone.

I’ll be sure to make the mix by this weekend. Finally got my 4 track tape player.

Are we gonna vote on who the winner is for this round?

2 Likes

No need to vote for me, it has been fun and pushing me to get at it more focussed, thanks for the initiative. And to be honest, i havent even given myself the chanche yet to listen to all submissions on my good earphones whilst enjoying a nice cup of tea…

I’m in for the next one!! (saw something on the ABCD input challenge, but thats out of my league for now, but with summer holidays coming time should be available increasingly)

1 Like

You were 1 of my top picks luuk! I feel the same as you, I had fun & learned a lot from this, every battle is a learning experience, but you should still be a part of the battle!

You didn’t make a beat Mnroe?

1 Like

What would the winner win? If there isn’t really a prize, maybe we don’t need to crown a winner, but that’s up to you. How would voting be done?

I agree with @luuk, I had fun just trying to work within the constraints of the mission. I definitely learned a few tips and tricks along the way also. I’m slowly getting my “studio” corner organized, so I’m looking forward to more cohesive jamming soon.

1 Like