Two DTs + DN or DT/DN + OT setup?

So I’ve been using my digitakt for the last few months. It’s a wonderful bit of kit and I have spent a ridiculous amount of hours getting lost in the depths of it. The thing is like a blackhole when it comes to time, what feels like 10 minutes turns out to be 2 hours. I just had to put that out there.

Anyway, I purchased and received a digitone to pair with the digitakt back in February and they work fantastically together. The combination is super immediate and versatile when it comes to making beats and writing melodies. However, I’ve reached a point where I’m thinking I could do with a couple more sample tracks. Would it be more wise to purchase an Octatrack and run the DT/DN into the AB/CD inputs or should I just buy another DT? I’m so in love with the DT that I would buy another in a heartbeat, however the Octatrack could also yield interesting results. What would be the pros and cons of buying the OT versus another DT in this specific case? Has anyone had this dilemma? I’d like to hear from you guys! Perhaps @Dataline or @Ess could also weigh in. Thanks :slight_smile:

consider the possibilities of using the OT as a performance hub and the many ways you could put its crossfader to use, not to mention its many additional fx type options and LFOs. resampling would be simple on both, but on the OT you’d have the option to timestretch. you wouldn’t need a mixer either.

then check out this thread on combining OT and DN, and consider whether any of these options sound enticing. ask yourself whether any of them would translate interestingly to OT+DN.

…for me the choice would be easy, so maybe ask yourself what you’d gain from having two Digitakts. no learning curve? slightly smaller footprint?

1 Like