Triggering slices across multiple tracks

… is this possible?.. (i.e. have slice mode active but from more than just one track)

as I don’t think it is possible just on the OT itself, I was wondering if any of you guys know whether this could work with an xternal (pad) controller?
I had a lengthy dabble with the rytm and after muting all samples of the presets not much to my liking was left (sonically) so I figured I should revert to the OT as my drum machine (I had to abandon my beloved MD for a bit)

I was thinking of getting a beat step and mapping 4 slices of 4 separate tracks to the 16 pads so I’d get some sort 4voice poly samples…
… so can this be done? any pointers are much appreciated
ta!

This is possible on just the Octa. Kind of. I do it all the time. It’s unorthodox but it works.

• Do a MIDI loopback (out to in)
  • In PROJECT - MIDI - CHANNELS, set trig channels for whichever tracks you want to co-trig to the same TRIG CH
  • Go to MIDI mode and set a track to send to that midi channel
  • In MIDI mode, switch to chromatic and change octave to 5
  • Punch any trig. You should hear slice#1 on all tracks in unison
  • Set one of the CCs to 11 to control slice number

There are limitations:

• The tracks will modulate slice number in unison. This might be cool, but makes it a bit less flexible
  • If I remember correctly, note values don’t do much. So ride that CC knob.
  • I forget, but I think the TRIG CH settings might be project-wide.

You may want to set AUDIO CC OUT in the project settings to INT, otherwise you won’t be able to mute the tracks independently.

hey thanks for the input - def a very unorthodox idea and I would have not even thought about.

guess the deal breaker for me is that I’d like to trig slices individually - not in unison.

I was thinking to set it up as some kind of mini MPC - 4 x 4 slices in 4 choke groups… (if that makes sense?)
I find it very cumbersome to program beats on the OT (select track, select slice, pock as needed, change track, select slice etc…) so I’d rather play them live. my mind is orbiting around this since quite some time and a set up of 4 tracks with 4 slices would be sufficient for my needs and would also leave me with 4 other tracks for other purposes.

so would you think this could be done?.. (I would actually prefer pads as I’m reluctant to finger drum on those trigs (yea I know finger-drumming is for kids))

cheers for chiming in!

(I shall definitely explore your idea too - I’m sure it will give me a better insight with setting up the midi)

• If I remember correctly, note values don’t do much. So ride that CC knob.

hang on, does that mean I can’t trigger any slice externally unless there’s a controller out there which sends CC messages from a pad? (is there one? )

forgive the question but my midi karate is rather limited

Right. Slots and slices are deaf to note values. Wish I had better news.

I get your vision. Let me think.

So much octafury comes from trying to do something that’s simple with some other machine.

I dont know if this will be of use, but there was from memory an “Octatrack Launchpad” Lemur template for ipad on the old Elektron-users website that could switch slices across all tracks simultaneously (8x8 grid), similar to the ableton live session view.

Thanks for the ideas you have been posting.
BTW, just wanted to clarify that point, since I pulled out the manual while reading and realized CC 9-15 are not in the manual. I started wondering what wonderful new hidden feature this was. :slight_smile:
Then I realized you meant 11 hex, 17 dec. Got it now. Carry on. :slight_smile:

I made a TouchOsc template for switching slices with my iphone… obviously you could do more on an ipad with the screen real estate.
The template I uploaded is set up for track 8 , but you can change the midi channel to 11 (on the touchosc template) and then you can trigger slices on whichever track is active on the octatrack. Or you could set rows of the slice changing buttons to different channels and be changing slices on multiple tracks at once. Since I uploaded this I have been experimenting with different layouts/options and I hope to upload some of those soon (currently in the middle of moving my household)
anyway heres the link to the basic template, feel free to modify and tweak to your own uses…
http://www.elektronauts.com/files/download/70

Hi,

Yes, with a little bit of work around, it’s possible.
I managed successfully to recreate some kind of Ableton Live Clip View with the Octatrack and a KMI Quneo. Very similar to the TouchOsc application, or Lemur one.

The nice thing about the Quneo is that each pad, slider and button, sends Note, velocity and pressure. The 16 pads can send X and Y information too.

I also created a Template for Triggering Scenes with the Pads. Very cool feature, this allows me to use the 16 pads as the 16 scenes FX. When I trigger a pad, many actions hapen, the crossfader moves from A to B, scene B is selected and each pad selects a scene, resulting in that you here the Scene automatically… when no pad is pressed the crossfader moves to scene A (which I have free of FX assignements) resulting in the track going back to normal (No Fx).

Still if Elektron makes MIDI side of things, easier, regarding triggering of slices, the world would be a better place.

Ok, now I want a quneo! Definitely going to look into that more… Thanks for the tip :slight_smile:
I’ve been looking for a piece of hardware to recreate some of my touchosc ideas in the ‘real’ world, but most controllers seem so limited with what they can send (only one command at a time)

"… is this possible?.. (i.e. have slice mode active but from more than just one track)

as I don’t think it is possible just on the OT itself, I was wondering if any of you guys know whether this could work with an xternal (pad) controller?
I had a lengthy dabble with the rytm and after muting all samples of the presets not much to my liking was left (sonically) so I figured I should revert to the OT as my drum machine (I had to abandon my beloved MD for a bit)

I was thinking of getting a beat step and mapping 4 slices of 4 separate tracks to the 16 pads so I’d get some sort 4voice poly samples…
… so can this be done? any pointers are much appreciated
ta!"

It’s pretty easy to set up a 4x4 slice grid/slice switching setup.
tracks 1-4 on the octatrack would have the 4 slice samples you want to use…
midi ch1 cc17 value 0 = slice 1 on track 1
midi ch1 cc17 value 2 = slice 2
midi ch1 cc17 value 4 = slice 3
midi ch1 cc17 value 6 = slice 4 etc…
the value goes up 2 every for every slice you want to go up

change midi ch to 2 and you control track 2 … etc

Make a pattern on the octatrack with a trigger on the 1 beat of each track. make sure the samples are setup to hold out for the entire length of your pattern and that no slice start point is p-locked. press play. now you can switch slices on any track. they won’t change until the OT sequencer hits the trigger again

If you want to trigger (vs switch) slices you need to send note number c1 on the appropriate midi ch. This is the part I need more experimenting with because I’m not sure if these external triggers ever get quantized. which makes launching loops in sync on the fly a bitch… hence the pattern programmed method above.

Also, I’m not sure if the beatstep will work for this or not… you would have to check the midi implementation.

I hope that can help! :slight_smile:

this looks interesting as well! I can’t wait to get my move completed and be able to get set up again… time to pack some boxes

Agree with Musicmagus,

That´s exactly the setup I have, only Im using 8x8 grid with samples sliced to 8. The Quneo has 16 PADS (4x4) but allows you to use each pad as 4 buttons, each corner of the Pad becomes a different Note and CC value, so you get a total of 64 “Buttons”.

The problem is that the Quneo doesnt allow (at this momment) to Light Up the LEDS accordingly for propper Visual feedback, the MIDI values which Light up the LEDs are hardcoded. But still makes the trick.

Each controller is a different world, what I did before purchase was to download all the MIDI editors of the devices I was interested in, Korg Nano pads, Akai and other controllers of the kind, I was surprised in how limited some of this editors were, not allowing individual MIDI channel per pad and things like this that are basic for the OT.

Then I downloaded the Quneo editor and was amazed by its flexibility. You can even access the RAW data of the sensors (1023 values instead of 127) with a Pure Data and MAX application, send OSC etc. Very fun little device.

Definitely check the Beatstep Software to assure you can get it working!
Hope it helps!

wowsers - looks I’m way late to the party with a demand for such functionality.

I thought what I was aiming for was trivial more or less.
thanks a tonne everyone for sharing your experience and knowledge

I wouldn’t want to go down the iPad route as I’d still need proper rubber pads to bash on. but good to know it’s out there.

so by the looks of it there is a serious shortcoming on the OT end of things but also on the controller end (individual midi channels for each pad, sending CC etc.)

cheers to musicmagus and multiman in particular - great insight!
by the looks of it every work around doesn’t take me all the way… as I want to trigger and not only switch slices… (or requires the purchase of 2devices) so I might as well get an MPC1000. I never wanted one but the more I use the OT outside my usual mixer/sequenced fx/mangling duties the more I want an MPC or at least its functionality

hey elektron - please have a look. here so many smart cats all asking for a trivial and simple thing

but thanks again - now I know what I have to look for when purchasing a controller. Musicmagus instructions are very handy here - I would have never figured this out by myself

so just to recap for my narrow mind:
I would need a controller which can:
send individual midi channels per pad
AND send CC# plus value
AND midi note (if I wanted to trigger as opposed to switch slices)

am i missing anything?

have a great day chaps!

You are correct:[b]

You would need a controller which can:

• send individual midi channels per pad
  • send CC# as a Constant and not Variable value, to select Scenes or Slices.[/b]
    [b][b] - send CC# plus Note, to trigger slices.

[/b][/b]Best way to make sure is to download the editors from the respective websites and test it out, you will quicly see which ones are suitable and which arent.

Good luck!

I just ordered a queneo… super excited :slight_smile:

p.s. super cool set multiman!!

Thanks I´m glad you like the set!

Enjoy the Quneo :slight_smile:

Thanks I´m glad you like the set!

Enjoy the Quneo :)[/quote]
cool - so from what I gather the Quneo would cut it.
can you dump multiple environment settings onto it via computer and then switch between - or would you set it up once and thats what you will have to use when operating it stand alone?

I getting somewhat excited about this!
many thanks again
cheers

nvrmnd - just checked the videos on the website.
this device looks crazy good. guess I’m sold on this

@tasmansea - keep us posted on how it goes if you get one. I think the quneo looks like an interesting device. Curious to hear how it works for you.