Total Recall problem - AR mk.1

Can someone offer me some advice here please? I am about to throw my AR against a wall (more specifically Overbridge software). I have lost hours and hours of work because of this sync problem.

Ok, I am running Ableton Suite 9 on an Imac 5k. I have my Analog Rytm mk.1 connected via Overbridge.

When I sync / save I check that I get a solid green light via Total Recall in OB. That confirms the synced state of that Ableton Project. I do not save my kit / project in the Rytm because Elektron claims the OB link will do this via the plug in state on the computer.

When I re-open the Ableton project and I am prompted in my AR to sync I choose “use plug in state”. Boom, every time it defaults back to the default state of a new project in my AR and my work is lost. This is abnormal behaviour from what I understand?

I know you will tell me to save my kits / projects independently of OB but can anyone get this to work the way it should?

Upon contacting Elektron (3 - 5 days to reply) I get a standard you need to get a new USB hub. I am on my 4th hub now and an Overhub at that!

Thanks for any help you can offer.

I wanted to express my sympathy, I know how boring it is to lose work. I will not start in terms of explanations yet here we often think to me for problems related to overbridge but by choice I do not use this function. Bécasse, i make all with live performance in mind so i must have my gears ready for it anyway so…

We are in the middle of something regarding Overbridge and MacOS, next version of OB will be out in February, Apple push High Sierra a lot… Have you checked Thread regarding compatibility issue to see if someone have this working properly to compare with him/het the setup and the way to using it ?

I try to count only on myself as much as possible and do not put in the hands of software all that I can do.
I have so many Ableton project in collaborations on my label limonada records where people sent me Ableton project with VST I have also on my computer (VST or AU) and it’s not recall anything I have to ask for the Saved presets to open it back on my computer otherwise it’s not usually load correctly so…

It happened to me so much problem with computer and software that I became a real psychopath. I save everything several times. I go as far as saving my audio projects to save the presets of my VST, those I retouched, presets effects, midi groove, midi files, I save my hardware patches on paper sheets and the sysex … My projects are organized in such a way that anyone will think I am wasting time. (but I can switch from another DAW at any time and rebuild a session in half a hour)

I hope you find someone who deal with Total Recall and can help you.
Cheers

Thanks for the prompt response William. I’m glad top read I am not the only one suffering with this.

So it looks like with the new version the Mk.1 machines will also be supported and “save with sync” via Total Recall should work?

I guess back to the manual save for me.

Thanks again.

George

I would suggest to give some room to elektron they’re in a rush and only between one and two month to wait for a better overbridge version… maybe it will fix your issue … for now i would say play the safe card and save every way you can have in mind so you will never loose anything

Cheers

1 Like

I never have any problems with total recall, but I do also save projects on my machines to be safe. Here’s my workflow that hasn’t failed me yet:

Open new ableton project and open new AR/AK/A4 project as well. Create on any/all machine using OB vst in ableton. When I want to save my work, i first save the project on the machine in a new slot to make sure I have a copy outside of OB recall. I then enable total recall in the OB GUI of whatever elektron I’ve used.

Works fine for me every time…

Disable Total Recall, it’s garbage. Sevral people have posted about how they lost work because of it. The “sync” thing does not belong in a music production environment! What is needed is simple " backup to computer" and confirmation windows before overwriting anything on the machine. OB is trying to be too clever for its own good.

I posted this in another thread but just realized it was delisted - hope this is not considered a double post

I have a suggestion for the Total Recall functionality. I recently opened up an Ableton project I had saved with Total Recall. When I opened the Ableton project, I had a new project loaded on the RYTM, and the first thing I did was open the plugin in Ableton. However when I opened the plugin, it had none of my settings from the saved Ableton session that I previously synced with Total Recall. I then saw on the device the options to either use plugin state or device state. I thought, oh it’s asking if I want to use the previously saved plugin state. So I chose that option. (certainly didn’t want the device state as it was a new project with all default settings).

To make a long story short, after some experimenting I realized that you MUST choose “use plugin state” on the Rytm (or whatever Elektron machine) BEFORE opening up the plugin.

Maybe I’m just an idiot, but sometimes I’m not even looking at my Elektron screen, and I open up a project and first instinct is to open up the plugin. This seems like a really easy way to lose a LOT of work VERY quickly with an action that seems completely innocent, even intuitive really.

Has anyone else had this problem? While it’s certainly not a “bug” it seems like a very problematic way of functioning and would be a big improvement if opening the plugin before choosing a recall option wasn’t so hugely disastrous. I can’t remember for sure, but I don’t think I encountered this problem in Logic X.

Or if this is not going to be changed, perhaps more detailed instructions on how saving works would be a nice addition to the manual.

edit: ok, just checked Logic - for me, it seems in logic you won’t be prompted until opening the plugin and selecting “re-activate” from total recall menu. When you open plugin, the settings automatically match the device state, so again if trying to load a previous save into a new project on the Elektron, it really doesn’t work well.

Is the intended use to have a 1:1 correspondence between DAW projects and projects on your Elektron? If so, it would be a good idea to state that in the manual.