Tomorrow : Octatrack is back?

:+1: :+1:
It’s killing me! I’ve laughed so hard that my ribs hurt . . . . I mean I’m enraged. Maybe one day I’ll be as enlightened as “person X”.
I do like the link to a thread of people complaining about people who complain. It’s like I’m talking to a person from an alternate reality!

please. with cream on top.

I understand.
But it’s a valid point. People should not get flamed for voicing their unhappiness with both Elektron’s demonstrated poor customer response skills, or the fact that the lifetime OS updates have never arrived in any meaningful way.
They should be able to do that with impunity, and not suffer someone’s intense emotions simply because they hold a contrary opinion.
These perspectives are valid and, to any company worth it’s salt, welcomed, no matter how inconvenient.

Yeah, I get it. It sucks seeing this shit but I wasn’t impressed with the update and was told I’m homophobic and have rage issues so it did set me off a bit. I’m usually better at dealing with trolls. I’ll back off now as this thread wasn’t that great to begin with and is markedly worse now.
Still digging the Strom App BTW. Thanks for that!
Wish you could get something going like that for the OT!!

What I don’t get is why the 1.25C update is seen as some kind of joke from Elektron instead of a sign they are taking the Octatrack seriously?

Just a few months ago everyone was bitching and moaning about how Elektron have ditched the Octatrack in favour of new analogue machines and we’ll never see an update ever again.

Cue 1.25C update, and people start complaining that it’s not good enough.

How about: it’s a sign Elektron are committed to the Octatrack, and that we can expect more updates in the future, rather than it being completely dead (which it obviously isn’t).

Exactly the same thing happens with e.g. Logic. OMG! Apple have abandoned Logic!

Logic X is released.

A few months later …

Apple have abandoned Logic! Will we ever see another Logic update again?

The cycle continues … apparently forever …

I thought much of the “whining” was fair game to be honest but the sudden witch hunt against negativity is pretty poor form and hugely hypocritical.

I always thought the “EU was much better than Elektronauts” chat was a load of nonsense but in the space of two weeks this place has gone down the shitter!

My reading of some of this, for what it’s worth, is that the update is partly a way to appease recent unrest on this forum. There’s no link between the stock and the update. So Elektron taking time out on the PR side to promote something OT related was always likely to be received in the way it was. If it was a video solely to promote stock then it was misguided imho. If it was a video to big up pickup machines, it was also a wee bit misguided, given they were and still are a sore point for some. Some of the discussion got a bit OTT and to be fair the situation is neither one way or the other, it’s okay by me to point out issues and it’s okay to call out constant moaning. This forum is the most useful resource we all share and given we don’t get answers from the horse’s mouth that much we’d best just keep it that way and learn to disagree nicely by toning down the abuse. I moan and moan about moaning, doesn’t make me a hypocrite or a moaner, just makes me real, I do try to keep the tone respectful but that’s hard when certain language starts getting banded about.

We all step over the line but at least Baddcr was big enough to fess up, tone it down and put his energy to something good. I felt a bit sheepish about crossing the line too

I also think it’s possible to be a fanboy and to give Elektron a bit of stick, but realistically you just have to accept it might not change anything and it probably won’t change at all by ranting here. But if we do some rigorous ‘in the field’ post-beta beta-testing and pool our knowledge then we may be able to use our weight in numbers to good effect, it’s the best plan. But that process needs a bit of realism about what’s entailed in delivering it. To that end I still intend to post a thread about the ins and outs and issues of pickup machines and I hope that a few power users will chip in, a few on board so far, I’ve started compiling thoughts for a user centric how-to doc and I’ve had some fun with the pu machines too, instead of just getting irked by the foibles, but they are not without issue.

Looks like everyone had their last word above, so can we keep it respectfully civil below even though it’s likely we’ll disagree about what’s what.

It seems like everyone who is disappointed in the announcement already has an Octatrack. So, of course you don’t care that it’s back in stock. For those who don’t have one and have been thinking about purchasing one (like me), I think the hype video is justified. The video was directed at potential customers, not current Octatrack owners. The OS update is simply a bonus.

it’s simple:
elektron changes the politics and buisness and we (users) change also![/quote]
Ahem… please speak only for yourself. I disagree 100%.

Edit: Would anyone who likes whining and moaning about the OT being so bad please just go sell your machine, you’ll get good money second hand from someone who will actually appreciate it for what it is, and then use the money to buy something else and leave those of us who do like it alone to enjoy it. Thanks!![/quote]
Climb down off Elektron’s dick for just a moment and try to see things from the other side. Some people don’t have a shit ton of disposable income. They’ve worked really hard, and saved up little by little to afford this “luxury” piece of kit. They are allowed to express their grief or disappointment just as much as you are allowed to express your joy. We’ve all paid the price of admission. This thing can be used in so many different ways! You might get by using it the way you do, but people using it another way might be having serious issues that you’ll never come across. If you are doing average shit with it, you probably are not experiencing issues. Cool! Have fun! Should the people who are having problems just kick back and suck it up because their money is not as good as your money? How do we get to the point where are our grievances are as important as yours? Will you kindly let us know when it’s ok for our issues to be heard so we don’t disrupt your internet time? [/quote]
Hehe, I’ll take that as a no then :joy:

Life is too short, get a grip, get some help for your anger issues.

I’ll try again… I beg you, please, please go and find another instrument that makes you happy!

You’ll feel so much better for it than carrying around all this rage - I promise :joy:

EDIT: On a more practical level, perhaps if everyone just agreed that grievance threads are clearly entitled as such and all other threads are left alone instead of being hijacked at every opportunity so they read like the typesetter for a magazine thought it would be a good idea to put the agony aunt column on every page?[/quote]
Hah! Disagreeing with you = rage/anger issues?! HAHAH!!! That’s cute. I wish I felt myself so important! [/quote]
It’s you that’s coming out with the repulsive homophobic anger insulting shit… not me!!!
Please stop harassing me! Any further attacks will be reported![/quote]
“Homophobic” ?!?!? What and literal fuck are you talking about!? Report away, weird ass. You tend to be very insulting in your own right. Like you are on some high horse looking down upon the peasants. I disagree with you and you say I have anger/rage issues. I call you out on that and now I’m “homophobic”? You really, really , really have zero idea who I am. I may not be a “friend of Dorothy” but I’m definitely down with Dorothy’s friends and have worked hard since I was in middle school for equal rights and treatment of LGBT people. So if me telling you to climb down of Elektron’s dick comes off as some homophobic statement, then you might want to turn the mirror on yourself and come to terms with some of your own shit. I don’t even know if you are male or female so how could I comment on your sexuality?!

Anyways you are obviously missing the point of any of this. You like to chime on how everything is perfect with your OT and that anyone that wants more out of it should just sell it because it bothers you to have to read a grievance one may have. I will continue to chime in to hold Elektron to task as a paying customer that has owned everything they’ve put out save the Sidstation as I believe them to be better than what they’ve been doing lately and judging by some comments from Elektron people on here, they know and believe that as well.

I love my Octatrack. I use it everyday as the centerpiece of my set up. It’s not perfect. I would like it be perfect. I would like it to be the most awesome kit made in the last 2 decades. I will continue to poke at Elektron regardless of your feelings. I’m sorry. Maybe there is a way to filter the forums so you only see nice things. I get it. Negative stuff can get you down if you are a highly sensitive type. I’ll do better not to reply to anything you are posting about lest I have something happy to add and providing I remember who you are come 30 minutes from now.

I’m gonna go back to “gay bashing” Elektron users now.

-b[/quote]
Oh dear, you just keep getting worse :sob:

Are you really so stupid as to carry on harassing and insulting someone even after they have asked you to stop? You really are going to have a coronary if you carry on like that! Please calm down and stop this - it’s deeply unpleasant and you’re making an ass of yourself.

You might like to put some of that energy into actually doing something about the problems with the OT, instead of screaming and shouting like that - that’s my problem with you and the others like you - not that I think you’re a peasant or that you’re not entitled to make genuine complaints.

See the link below if you have the knowledge and experience you claim to have; I’ll look forward to some top rate contributions from you, but I bet my bottom dollar you can’t:

http://www.elektronauts.com/t/ot-known-bugs-workarounds-document/8475

Also, you might like to take a look at the number of other people who are pissed off with ranters like yourself, it’s not just me;

http://www.elektronauts.com/t/elektrons-rock-stay-positive-why-so-much-negativity-here/8522[/quote]
Hahahahahah!!! OK. Cool. [/quote]
Yeah… That’s better, relax, have a bit of a laugh! That’s loads better :joy: :+1:

And great, I’m more than happy to move on and be proved wrong. Pretty sure between us we can create a top rate document that will make everyones lives a bit easier and I reckon we’ll all learn a fair bit in the process.[/quote]
Awesome!!

+1. If I weren’t such an “addict” and long-time forum member, I would never come back here again.

It’s time to talk about music again!

EDIT: bump for another thread - http://www.elektronauts.com/t/ot-special-tricks/7416. gimme more :slight_smile:

May I ask, what is your definition of a “business-critical error”?

I think that (at least at the time of its development and launch) this was Elektron’s intention.

I would think that the Octatrack could be considered as a potential competitor to a laptop computer with software like Ableton Live. When the OT launched, there was even chatter about it being likened to “Ableton in a box.” See, for example, Paul Nagle’s thoughtful review in Sound On Sound magazine. In the “Background of the Octatrack” section of the OT’s manual, Elektron specifically contrasts the intent of the OT with the use of laptop computers. It was (at least in part) designed for those live performers for whom a laptop computer is not appealing: that set of people is far from 100 % of the user base, but it is substantial.

Elektron has always positioned itself as a hardware company (which is why its software products (C6, Overbridge) are free.

I agree with you that if Elektron were to develop the Octatrack now then the additional cost of including Overbridge capability after it had been developed for the Analog series would be minimal.

Where I disagree with you is whether that additional effort to create a Mk 2 OT with Overbridge is worthwhile for Elektron in its current state of extremely limited resources.

wrong, mk 1 MnM no draw wave machine or import[/quote]
… or improved outputs and power supply. And improved sampling memory and pattern length on the MD Mk2. I do know that Mk 2 versions were produced of both units in 2007.
But in this case, Elektron was in a bind at that time because their only two money-making units were unavailable because of parts shortages, so they had to issue Mk 2 units in order to keep selling product.
Whereas, even with the Octatrack being out of stock at HQ for many months, they did not update it to Mk 2. I believe it’s because when they make a product, they really intend for it to have a long lifespan, and they don’t plan to release a replacement upgraded model even a few years after the initial launch.

I understand.
But it’s a valid point. People should not get flamed for voicing their unhappiness with both Elektron’s demonstrated poor customer response skills, or the fact that the lifetime OS updates have never arrived in any meaningful way.
They should be able to do that with impunity, and not suffer someone’s intense emotions simply because they hold a contrary opinion.
These perspectives are valid and, to any company worth it’s salt, welcomed, no matter how inconvenient.[/quote]
Well, actually no one has a right to express their opinions with impunity AND expect to not have push back from people that do not hold those opinions. You can express, go ahead, expect to expression back.

I said people should have that right.

Unfortunately we live in a flamers paradise where you can hide behind the mantle of obscurity and a lack of physical confrontation.

Push back is fine, I actually prefer pushing into a solution - find the dualistic heave and to and fro pretty banal to be honest.

Involves listening though, hence why that is hard for studio musicians and the associated wannabe fanboys, as they are essentially antisocial types, by and large.

The to and fro is tiring.

Any reason the finish is noticeably dif than the Analogs?

Any OT2 will have to have an internal power supply… Do you guys have problems with your OT power switching on and off when moved?

Ye is happening to me when i take OT to the couch…Anyone else having this?

Yeah the PSU connection could definitely be better.

My solution: ‘Brada’ Laptop stand from IKEA (£2.90 in the UK) and a bulldog clip the wife brought home from the office.

Octa sits on stand (no more neck ache!) and bulldog clip holds the cable securely to the side of the stand.

Sweden provides both problem and solution!

Nice one!