Tips for Analog Rytm Newbie

Hello Im Patrick
I’m a new Analog Rytm user. I am moving up from a MachineDrum. I have heard really good things about Overbridge and some ipad apps that a friend mentioned that are “essential” I know this fellow named Jakob was making an app that randomized or morphed sounds/kits but i lost track of what the result was. I am trying to construct a live rig with the AR + a Novation Circuit, my strymons {big Sky + timeline] and a roli blocs Lightpad/Looper.
So i would really appreciate some Tips or pointers as i get started. Suggestions, Caveats etc are all welcomed. Thanks in advance and i hope everyone is having a nice new year.

cheers~

Patrick

Hi Patrick!
If you are using the input of the AR, you will notice that it is too low… but there is the compressor effect that can bite you, but you can bite it back! I run everything through the AR in my live rig (AR+A4+AK) and I apply a very little amount of compression. That is, the compression meter barely moves a pixel. Then I apply it to everything but the low frequencies an raise the mix to max. this will lower the output level even more, but you can then use the MUP (Make up gain) to set it to set it to almost unity gain. If every thing is gainstaged right, you shouldn’t need to add more than 35-40 in the MUP. This will add some hissing, but is significantly lower than any other sound. The part of the compressor biting you, is if you use too much… it will distort easily, and can make everything but the kick to breathe too much, so unless this is what you are after, be careful with it!

thank you, Silmae
that’s really good to know. i have a few nice compressors --a fab filter and an izotope ozone which i’ll give a shot for this

Hello, i think it’s really depends about Music Genre according to the app notion of Analog Rytm. I would not use it before to really understand the AR Structure and Saving. When you get it, and handle it just fine, then you can introduce some things on top of what you understand perfectly.

Yes Overbridge is cool, when the marriage is successful with the computer you have. (system requirement, specifications match well)

If i were you i would introduce a portable and light mixer like a small mackie to get instant mixing, good gain staging or at least more easy to handle… on a stage. It’s not really that expensive and from my point of view it’s really important. (You can when booked to asking for one) But in the prepare of your LIVE writing, i would do that… (and if you have 2 aux effects with return it will be perfect with your two Strymons so you could find something useful with the AR individuals outs to deal with Effects Routing)

Also, as @Silmae told there’s a compressor, and a good one. But you can want to compensate the loose (body & punch thinner) of some frequencies in the low end AND a EQ after the compression in LIVE situation is nice so basically your mixer can be very appreciable for that matter :wink:

I don’t know where you are but in a lot of town there’s Concert hall with rehearsal studio, and you can Rent a rehearsal/repetition studio so you can get an idea of a middle sound system and adjust few things. But at the END when you will play your first LIVE you will have 30-45minutes to adjust things with the person in charge of the Sound System.

Try to not introduce the computer in your Live rig it USUALLY where coming problems. (Not the one you can’t deal with but more it’s complicated and less FUN and Lose confidence appears…)

Accept to start simply with something efficient and accept and understand you will have a progression curve it will make you better and better, the one you consider as your MASTER, are all start somewhere and was probably not as talented as today when they start :wink:

Hi William

Thanks for the Caveats and tips. I think i should offer that i have been using computers in live performance since the late 1990s and teach interactive audio and projection design and give workshops globally on Digital Performance. I have been engineer or artist on about 50 recordings and have performed live with Ravi & Anoushka Shankar in 2008 on Tambourra and have played amplified strings [Violin, viola, fretless guitar] so i am quite comfortable with compressors at this point, though there is always so much to learn i find. I have been slugging away in Ableton since ableton 3 and programming in Max/msp/Jitter since right around 1997, I beta tested the Windows version for Cycling in grad school.

That being said i think your recommendations are sound and very helpful but i am hopeful someone might know what APPs work real well with AR. I heard of one called SDS drop? but i do not know which one [if any] randomizes AR kits/projects if such a thing even exists

Thank you for the helpful tips!

2 Likes

OK well that’s part of a forum usually tricky we always don’t know skills level of the people if people don’t talk about it (unless i doing the process to see people profile which i do not as much as i should do)… so unfortunately i usually start as people is beginner or medium skills…

Yes you have SDS Drop it gives you the ability to send Sample directly on the PAD you want, extremely nice app idea… https://itunes.apple.com/fr/app/sds-drop/id1080035369?mt=12

STROM is a sampler with an in-app paid upgrade to send directly to the Analog RYTM

Collider too…
Collider is a performance and control surface for Elektron’s Analog Rytm

You can find more addons in my Definitive post on Analog Rytm here :

1 Like

THANKS i really appreciate your help. and i was not trying to boast --it’s just that I’m Old :slight_smile:
i just found the STROM app, very cool with the Kit carziness too, that was the app i couldn’t place earlier.

2 Likes

Don’t worry a lot experimented and old people here, i’m 40 years old so … :wink: But that’s the nice part as people mature here there’s a lot of respect and politeness… it’s pleasant :wink:

1 Like

That’s an OSX app for cleverly getting samples into the AR instead of merely sending them by sysex. Elektron will be enhancing their offering of direct sample management in a month or so, so we’ll soon see how much that makes the task quicker. Jakob’s other app is called Strom, that is without peer - so maybe that’s the one you were thinking of

It’s good to have more Max users around and fretless guitar too … given your brief CV above, I wouldn’t be surprised if you had known a now sadly passed and great artist called U. Srinivas … one of the most sublimely gifted string artists I’ve ever heard … but I grew up as a teenager listening a lot to stuff like Shakti w John McLaughlin … I can totally see how the AR will fit into your setup

welcome to the forums

edit: link for others

2 Likes

Yup Welcome shreeswifty :wink:

Thx Avantronica for the link wow it’s beautiful :wink:

1 Like

i LOVED Shakti and L Shankar record as well and of course The MahaVishnu “Celestial bullet”. I was a huge Zappa fan in another life so i cut my teeth on the Mothers/Velvets/Stooges [Played CBGBs in the 90s in a “grunge” band ha! before beginning my Hindustani Classical music studies on Sitar. The three or four hours i got to spend with Ravi backstage was heavenly. I have several M4L things i made which i’ll dig up and share if there is interest based on Xenakis’ work. I guess about two years ago i got into Eurorack but i love Ableton/Max too much to abandon it so know i am hybrid. I teach audio design at University of Connecticut and recently i have been into the Berlin sound [big surprise] but i love Demdike Stare, Shifted, Sigha, Black Merlin, Mord label, Samurai Music Group; Overlook Pessimist. stuff like that.

here’s a proper CV of my recent stuff before taking the new faculty role if anyone is in the CT/NYC area and wants to collaborate i would sincerely LOVE that. I am starting a label this year and we are going to focus on cassette and Vinyl/Digital releases and i have a Eurorack module in prototype.

3 Likes

Funny i go on your steps (humbly of course), graphic designer for 16years, science lover, i take the road to teaching (Art School in France) and come back to focus on a more artistic way with music by operate a fusion between the music chair and the graphic chair witch i was always in the middle all my life and i’m sick of it… i operate a big move in my life at the moment :wink:
Great CV and congratulations for your impressive Career path

I meet old teachers from my Art School where i living and come back to a new life path… i was really impressed by the work of an artist called Herman Kolgen on a Intermedia festival in France who take place in my town in Caen (Normandy region of france) he work a lot bear in mind with science and make Artistic performance…
http://www.kolgen.net/nuevo/

Maybe you already know his work. A super nice person Herman :wink:
He really Inspire me to take new horizon in my personal work

I’m Dj since a long time, part of MindReaders and with my friend from MindReaders we are behind Limonada Records (label originally launched by Fafa Monteco/Superfunk in 2009) a label between Santiago de Chile and Paris … we put in relation Latin America producers and make remix by European … (guys like Alejandro Vivanco, Francisco Allendes, Dorian Chavez, Marcelo Rosselot remixes by Kolombo, Alex Kid, Djebali, Sucré Salé, S!lk, Sergio Parrado…) label is more Deep House, House and a bit more Dub Techno with the last one…

Anyway, Nice to meat you here Patrick

William

Thank you for the wealth of INFO you have provided and the wonderful links.
I am more lately into Abstract techno i guess you would call it but minimalsim too
ENA, Dettmann, FelixK, Black Merlin, oscar mulero, demdike stare etc…
i need to check out Limonada records

do you have bandcamp?

1 Like

World class musicians, one of my all time favorites…

2 Likes

Yes, welcome to the forums sir! I suggest you read the back catalog and try using the search for any particular topics of interest. No harm in asking either but sometimes it’s faster to go through the old posts.

Your current “artists I’m into” list has a lot of same names as mine. I’ll be sure to look into the ones I don’t recognize.

1 Like

I’m more in this sub-genre myself too… (i like also artist you gives maybe i’m more detroit"ish" techno)… so that’s why i will going to make things alone… i worked a lot with people before… probably because of a “small” faith in me, or afraid how people will like it or something… i don’t know.

For limonada records you can check this no Bandcamp it distributed by Syncrophone Paris:
https://www.limonadarecords.fr (i have a certificate problem i need to fix website can have pb to load it need to be forced)
(https://soundcloud.com/limonada-records)
https://www.discogs.com/fr/label/184208-Limonada-Records
https://www.residentadvisor.net/record-label.aspx?id=5600

William very cool… was just listening… “The Lost” (original mix) is right up my alley… very dubby :+1::+1::+1:

1 Like

Yes it’s from Igor (S!lk) italia he have a super nice analog studio and gives courses and stuff in his country… super talented S!lk :wink: http://www.silkmusik.com

He is under DeStrict alias today and his label called Opium audio (6 released for now if you looking on decks.de)
https://www.facebook.com/deStrictOfficial

Had some how missed Collider - on the surface it looks pretty cool! Cheers for tip. I think it came out after I had sold my 1st Rytm hence me dropping the ball. Anyway, time to look into the Collider thread…

1 Like

I started reading the OP and thinking “Hmm, that sounds like Pat’s rig” lol.

I can vouch, Patrick is the real deal and a great friend. We have been on an experimental sound journey together for a few years.

1 Like