Things I find most dissappointing about DT sequencer

Yes. A number of users have experienced it with the DT receiving from a MNM, an OT, and ableton.

So does it play through the pattern twice before changing?

would’ve preferred 16 assignable tracks (for sounds/samples), instead of having MIDI, since the MIDI functionality is so limited / handicapped.

1 Like

I don’t find anything disappointing about it, it’s a fantastic piece of kit and I love working with it.
Just like any piece of hardware, it has limitations, and you just have to learn how to work with them. For example, track transpose would be nice, but seeing as I don’t have it I can just edit the patch on what ever synth or sampler I am controlling with it. Moving individual trigs is easy- just copy, paste and delete. Yes it is three operations, but when you’ve learnt them you can do them in a split second. Spend more time with the LFO and you will find just how flexible it is. Don’t forget you can also P-lock whether or not the LFO triggers, meaning that you can trigger a filter sweep and it will continue it’s movement for subsequent trigs if you do not retrigger it. If you need a sweep over 1 bar for example, trigger the Triangle LFO with the phase at 32 (So it starts at 90 degrees), Speed at 4, Multiplier at BPM 8 (So it takes 2 bars to do a full 360 and therefore 1 bar to achieve the downward slope on its own) and then you can put in a trigless lock afterwards to turn the LFO off if you need to.
Just accept that it is what it is for now and have some fun with it.

9 Likes

you need an octatrack

5 Likes

If you set for example the Octatrack to send a program change and the DT to receive one; when the pattern changes on the Octatrack the pattern on the DT doesn’t change with until it has looped one more time. If you do the reverse and tell the DT to change the Octatrack when the DT changes patterns the Octatrack follows at the same time the DT changes.

I think the bug is apparent when trying to get patterns to follow each other right at the change of the pattern. It works with all the other Elektron instruments but not the DT.

2 Likes

So because the OT has all the features you’d expect in a sequencer we should all sell our DT’s and buy an OT instead?

That’s what I did. Warranty aside, I get so much more from my used OT MKI than I did with the DT for the same price. Some complain that the OT is not as immediate as the DT but I haven’t experienced that (aside from the initial loading/recording of a sample). Plocking program changes per step was fun on the DT. The OT doesn’t have that I believe. But then again how often am I really gonna use that?

1 Like

I did the own the OT MKI once and I agree with those that say the DT is way more immediate.

Not particularly. For most of the things you mentioned, an OT would certainly suit you better.
It’s the hammer your nail needs,
The DT in this analogy is more of a rubber mallet, for your needs.

Just taking this opportunity to back up OP…Nope

1 Like

terrible analogy imho

non-immediate PC change isn’t a “feature” in my opinion, it is a bug.

1 Like

I agree… semantics…

1 Like

Don’t get me wrong, bring on the features and fixes to the DT!

But if it were me I needed all those features, I’d grab an OTmk1 or some other device so I wasn’t just waiting around hoping…

2 Likes

God-willing. I swear I will never bitch about Elektron again if it is fixed. Not a peep negative out of me. I swear it. I will sing her praises far and wide.

I feel you, but after playing with the mk2 instruments, the mk1s feel…meh

Maybe it’s the blinkys

This is false.

2 Likes

I had an OT and didn’t like the cryptic workflow. The DT on the other hand has a great workflow. Everything is quick and easy to remember. It’s great, And I love the sampling side of things which is the main reason I bought it. It’s MIDI sequencer is just lacking and not what I expected from an Electron box, that’s all. I actually think if they are gonna leave it like this then they may as well have not bothered putting midi on it at all, could have had 16 tracks of audio tracks. I would have preferred than than a 8 tracks of MIDI that I cannot use.

1 Like

Well come on, that’s a bit harsh. What do you need it to do? I find DT’s MIDI covers like 70% of my bases.

I don’t need all those features, as I said I can just carry on using my Engine which has all those features and more. I was just hoping I might be able to use the DT in a small portable setup and leave the Engine at home but having used the MIDI sequencer for a few days now I can see that’s not going to happen, unless Elektron update it. Do you think they might add some of these things or will they leave it crippled so it doesn’t interfere with the OT?