Things I find most dissappointing about DT sequencer

Because PC is sent/received before the first note is played

before the internal first note that isn’t MIDI input? How would it even know there is a PC coming?

There must be an intentional delay of its own sequencing, however small, to wait for these messages.

How a MIDI hardware designer implements how it responds to MIDI messages is not about things not uhhh “werking” as you put it.

We can agree that Program Change ->Pattern Change is something the DT does no?

Ok, so then we can agree that Elektron implemented a behavior into the DT, coding discretely that “when a PC change is received, X happens”

This is an implementation and there is no other way to put it, friend.

No, that would just be you not comprehending the possibilities of your own expenditures. I have a room full of gear i’m 100% happy with. Thousands of dollars worth. If DT gave me this one little option, it’d be perfect in my eyes. And that is no small feat. Perfection.

because every MIDI message has a few bits that tell the parser what the command is, and then the parser orders them by priority before execution. just like a CPU parses instructions from applications on your computer.

yeah i agree it doesn’t work and it should… i was more just questioning how it’s typically implemented since there seems to be a bit of a timing paradox without artificial delays.

MIDI can transmit thousands of bytes per second. It can transimit 3000 or more PC change commands per second. that’s how

You’re still not getting my issue. A device that has its own sequencer would need to intentionally not execute its own sequencer data before parsing received data in the earliest clock cycles otherwise there’s no way to know there’s anything to order before it.

No, I definitely get it. It’s because the Elektron’s processor can do all this math faster than you can perceive it. And yes, exactly - upon receiving a PC message, the sequencer would say “whoa, change patterns before you play a note” all within a few microseconds. It’s kind of like when you turn on a light switch and the bulb appears to instantly turn on. Surely it takes time to heat the filament and fire off photons and surely it takes time for these photons to reach your eyes. It’s just imperceptible.

I give up, maybe someone else will bother to continue my line of thinking. Anyway yes the DT fails at this, let’s move on.

Thank you guys this answer a lot of my questions i keep an eye on the thread because I’m interested on DT and DN sequencers so i stop wasting my time and maybe later now i go for the octa mkI

1 Like

I was thinking about this some more, and I got excited about an idea.

I think the conditional trigs are really cool because they kind of remind me of operations in code. You can get real creative and make really complex sounding things happen with the right logic and combination of operations.

Perhaps this could be done with an LFO somehow; wouldn’t it be cool to have an iterative operator that just basically increments by one, each time the pattern plays through once?

You could make this constantly affect the program change command being sent out a midi channel to tell the other DT/DN to constantly move forward by one after playing a pattern, and this could be stopped by just muting the button for the corresponding midi channel. To loop back to any earlier pattern within the series, just manually trigger it.

This sounds like it would be a fun workflow that could promote creative improvisations.

3 Likes

It is!

2 Likes

No edge here mate, just replying to the OP’s question. I think I’ve contributed some pretty heavy knowledge to this discussion. What you think makes literally, no difference, in how I feel minute to minute. You are the one that chooses to expend mental anguish over my simple request of Elektron as a consumer. Maybe worry about yourself a bit more and less about what I think.

I said it once, and I’ll say it again, if the next firmware update doesn’t work for me, I’ll be selling the DT, plain and simple. It’s a crippled device in my opinion, and hopefully a more robust firmware is on the way. If not - oh well.

Out of interest, does the MIDI sequencer built into Digitone address any of these issues? If so maybe these will come to DT.

I know the Program Change “bug” (or whatever we agreed to call it) hasn’t been addressed and there is no song mode, but it looks like you can set user scales on the keyboard. Can that be used on external MIDI tracks?

How about Track Transpose? I thought I read someone said that has been implemented. Can you transpose individual tracks up and down or only whole patterns?

Anything else?

One mans trizash

1 Like

Okay. 24 hours.

Still. Crickets.

Bueller?
Bueller?

1 Like

Elektron Confirmed to @Airyck its a bug on the digitone. Same one on the DT. Pattern changes are not functioning properly.

2 Likes

This is my biggest qualm with the Elektron sequencer.

I’m not a huge fan of the almost-linear ramp shape of drum rolls when using Retrig with velocity. Would be great to have the option of exponential ramps for rolls/fills here – would make things less rigid-sounding i think… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That has nothing to do with the issue presented, retrigs have a linear velocity map per retrig.