The glory of Shruthi's bass

I had one and it was my main synth for quite a while. Used it with my MPC until I got my Octatrack. I have tapes of jams with it where I got some pretty mindblowing sounds but I have trouble “getting there” with it anymore. Mine has the digital board which makes it even crunchier than normal. Maybe it’s a case of crunch overload but I’m sure there’s people out there who love that sort of sound.

I have a Shruthi (non-XT) with a 4PM filter, not selling it unless it is to flip for an XT version. Mine had the SMR filer and a polivoks filter before settling on a 4PM, I like it best hands down, not too clean, not too dirty, jus perfec!

I admittedly don’t use it much these days (quite menudivey and not in a good way) but love the sound.

One of these days imma catch a 4PM XT model for cheap and have the money for it too! There’s one polivoks XT for 350€ in my local music 2nd hand classified board, but I’m not sure if my 4PM could be swapped out… and even then, I’d miss a second 4PM filter so I could have 2 voice polychain :diddly:

1 Like

I have SVF Shruthi, DSP Shruthi second hand and also built TubeOhm Ambika with all SMR cards. So many sounds to find. And yes they are very punchy with bass!

Andre Laska at TubeOhm has a software editor here if that’s what you like. http://www.tubeohm.com/page30.html#

The DSP Shruthi is crazy. Olivier Gillet really let his imagination run wild with this one. “… the sounds coming out of this filter board are pure lo-fi. At best, it’s Amiga-scronch, at worst, it’s [insert here the name of your favorite Arduino-based bleeper] crap. In your dreams, this filter board will sound like a WTPA, but when you wake up it won’t, and there will be an Alpaca sleeping on your couch.”
https://mutable-instruments.net/archive/shruthi/build/dsp/

“The signal processing is done with a 12-bits resolution ; except for everything involving delay lines in which case the samples are converted to crunchy 8-bits when written to the delay line.”

2 Likes

I have to admit I’m not really sure what board I have. How can I tell? I know it’s not anything special like the polivoks… It’s the most “standard”, if that’s a thing.

SMR board… which is the Roland copy

1 Like

I’ll just pop this here shall I? :blush:

BTW, here’s what I think is one of the better sounding demo videos:

4 Likes

I have the CEM 3379 board in mine, it was one of the last pre built units Olivier sold.
I did a preset demo not long after i got it. I don’t think i will ever sell it

I always told myself i would get the Ambika as well but i never did, I would love one with 6 of these CEM’s in!

2 Likes

Some demo I did … whoa … 7 years ago.
Some of my patches ended up in the v1.0 firmware :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I briefly had an Ambika… It’s a whole lot of synthesizer to be sure. Brutal to edit and I don’t mind menu diving either.

Still have mine, but I don’t use it much anymore… I should come back to it, now that I would know more how to use the matrix !

My favorite demo is from EATYone :

2 Likes

I’ve got shruthi , is it possible / easy to swap filter boards
Mine was pre built and apart from noodling with it I don’t know much about it , it does sound great though.

I have a SVT, 4Pole & the digital board.

Great looking, even better sounding. They actually keep my Ambika (6xSMRmkII) stored away for the moment (can’t justify my cat sleeping on the Ambika; Shruthis are okay until I get a more isolated desk setup).

I run them thru a MIDIPal to create some interesting sequencer vs. sequencer patterns. Definitely always have new samples saved everytime I play with them.

I’d love to control them externally from hardware but for now I just program them in ableton via the Push. I’d definitely say I will be holding onto them indefinitely - such a small footprint for a large variety/versatility of sounds.

Being able to control them via an iPad editor would be fantastic. I know theres an amibka editor floating around…wonder if there is a shruthi version as well.

Great investment if you can find one!

1 Like

There are several Shruthi editors, it seems.
Here is one :

2 Likes

love mine, although weirdly I always seem to struggle to get bass sounds I really love from it somehow…
sweeping the vowel sounds around for leads is BRILLIANT though.

thinking about either the Polivoks or Digital board to replace the standard filter…have a board to make the Polivoks one already when I can be bothered to order all the components…

I just picked up a 4pm XT for a great price. I was a bit sick of standard analog monosynth waveforms, and this is just the ticket so far - an amazing range of really wild and unexpected noises is within reach. Dropping the oscs down low and messing with the different mix algos can produce some very evil broken gameboy sounds. I think this + DT and a couple of pedals will be a really good live setup.

2 Likes

I still have some for sale here.

I thought these would sell quicker to be honest!

I thought I’d chime in as a fellow Shruthi lover… I’m currently on my second and will soon move onto number 3. My first was a Red Alert edition with polivoks filter than Mutable were selling pre-built a good few years back just before they launched into their eurorack adventures. I used it quite a bit but I then a saw a great deal for a 4PM version of a Shruthi XT which I duly snapped up. I then flogged the Red Alert version as by that point I’d gotten one of the Erica Pico Polivoks filters but if I’m honest I’m regretting it as I’m no sure the Pico filter isn’t “inspired” by the polivoks rather than being the real deal. Doesn’t have the same grit and bite… i could be wrong tho.

I’ve recently backed the Shrolca kickstarter as I really like the form factor and it has a different filter types to others I’ve had so couldn’t resist. If I ever work up the enthusiasm to play live again this would pair nicely with the DT and another synth or two for excessive fun times.

1 Like

Yeah, backed the kickstarter as well. super pumped to be getting one of these little fellas!!

1 Like

Hey,

i bought three ready-made of those little shruthis :

• Polivoks Red Alert in the fall of 2016
  • MS-20 + delay Yellow Magic early 2018
  • Dual SVF XT a few months ago

Once they’re on, you forget them being partly digital. Though i’m quite well equipped on the bass department, i reckon one of the shruthis will do that task full-time now. Indeed, its bass capabilities shred.
It sounds like rubber, if this means something.

1 Like