The BITWIG Thread

I’m not the kind of guy not upgrade my stuff, so for me it “sounds like a subscription” (I’m not saying it’s a subscription in legal and financial terms !)

I just wanted to say that the price is not an argument in the choice between Ableton and Bitwig because it’s similar in terms of price

1 Like

Yeah @t it was a important update therefore… users complain a lot of the audio algorithm lacking compares to other DAW so it’s fixed now. (they have time to recover on others! bitwig is younger so thankfully still that’s going on like this)

You right to say : your application keeps running and you can always re-download and authorize the most recent version you paid for.

Still I didn’t say it’s a subscription model, I say to me it sounds like that because i often make upgrades when they comes out… and again I prefer the Ableton instruments sounding wise (I give my opinion) After having worked quite a bit with Bitwig… both DAWs are good with their advantages and disadvantages but now I think that Bitwig is not the big DEAL as I thought it will be at the beginning if we considering Max for Live in the Ableton suite version + instruments

I just rectify old things i said when i say Bitwig is cheaper than Ableton Live suite, not really finally. But yes it’s streamline better with Elektron instruments in terms of CV/modulation/tablet I agree…

Fair enough. You could have said that to begin with. :slight_smile:

IMHO it’s interesting how often we experience this with music making tools, be it software or hardware. Nothing is perfect, even though it might feel so initially.

2 Likes

Yeah you absolutely right

Totally! Well put.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Bitwig 2.4

Here’s what’s new in Bitwig Studio 2.4 :

• Sampler overhaul
  • Extended MIDI channel support
  • New modulators: ParSeq-8, Note Counter
  • New devices: Note FX Layer, Channel Filter, Channel Map
  • Resizable tracks in Mix view
  • Resizable scenes in Arrange view
  • Colorable scenes
  • Controller take-over modes
  • On-screen controller visualization
  • Interaction-based hints
  • New quick start templates
  • Modulation workflow enhancements

And more…

1 Like

Its also worth noting that the new API allows graphics to be pushed tp hardware controllers, so expect even better PUSH4Bitwig etc with custom Bitwig specific graphics on the hardware display :slight_smile:

This is another great update, there were 4 main reason why Live was considered ‘better’ than BWS by some users, the basic stretching algorithms (fixed, IMHO at last as good as Live now), the Sampler (fixed, better than the Live sampler now…) and the built in instruments….this is debatable, I already have the AAS stuff so don’t need it hard baked in my DAW- to me Phase4 is far more interesting than the AAS instruments in Live anyway, but I understand that is a matter of taste. Lastly, MAX. I like a DAW where I don’t have to use MAX to quickly make systems, effects, modulate analog and CV etc, never even had to look at a manual with Bitwig (had Live to V9 and never got a handle on MAX). If you are already a MAX Master then Live may be the DAW for you!

Oh, and Live is a lot more expensive :wink:

5 Likes

I have 2.3 but will wait now until buying another year. Don’t use it enough to upgrade right now. So new payment model is ok as I can wait to see later features before deciding.

1 Like

The new payent model is ok for me.
I can still use Bitwig as long as I want and pay for the upgrade only if i want the new features.

2 Likes

Thanks to let us know. I modified the thread and add 2.5 features - Cheers

1 Like

IMO this really make Bitwig incredible !!!

https://www.bitwig.com/en/19/bitwig-studio-3.html?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_campaign=5f1b9ffb68-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_1901_BWS3&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_eb766b27c5-5f1b9ffb68-285838421

4 Likes

WoW :heart_eyes: looks awesome.

Best part about the news is the planned release date

“Bitwig Studio 3 will be previewed at NAMM (January 2019) and will enter public beta shortly afterwards. Expected release of Bitwig Studio 3 is Q2 2019.”

Time to upgrade my 1.0 version :wink:

2 Likes

Fuck yeah!

“Your hardware modular rig is completely integrated, with dedicated grid modules for sending any control, trigger, or pitch signal as CV Out and receiving any CV In”

Ho boy … Not good for my wallet … not good.

1 Like

This looks really amazing

Looks good…but you guys do know about Reaktor right? Then again if BW3 and its modular part are multi-core that would be something.

Sure. Judging from my experience with Bitwig and Reaktor so far, this will integrate much nicer with the overall DAW workflow, will be much easier to use, and will contain mostly modules designed more towards slightly higher-level creative use rather than the more lower-level processing units Reaktor is built around.

1 Like

Exactly, MAX and Reaktor have a steep learning curve and are more like visual programming languages, this is far more like a Modular synth full of logic gates, oscillators, function generators that just cable up and then appear as an instrument/fx/modulator in our rack for interaction with VSTs or output/.input CVs etc.

It may actually be useful for the masses…

Perfect DAW integration is going to be the big advantage with Bitwig.

• Grid devices can be nested or layered along with other devices and your plug-ins, and they are controllable from the same Open Controller API.
  • Song position is available as a sample-accurate signal, locking your work in The Grid to your project’s timeline.
  • Draw Arranger or clip-based automation for any parameter in your new grid patches, even in combination with Bitwig Studio’s existing modulators.
  • Modules like envelopes, LFOs, and sequencers all have modulator outputs as well. And just as Bitwig Studio’s modulators can control any parameter in The Grid , any grid signal can be used to modulate child devices.
  • Your hardware modular rig is completely integrated, with dedicated grid modules for sending any control, trigger, or pitch signal as CV Out and receiving any CV In ."