The best Zoom recorder for your Digitakt: H4n Pro vs. H5 vs. H6

I do not have to connect my gear all at the same time, i can switch them. But if i do that i probably will not have the overdub possibility? Or can i move a recorded track to an empty new track?

You have to change track in order to overdub…

1 Like

Of course but he said he wanted to record everything separatly, so…

Yeah, sorry. Just trying to understand why you would record the DT and DN on separate stereo tracks (4 tracks) instead of together on a single stereo track (2 tracks) since you’re already combining tracks in each separate device.

2 Likes

for recording Digitakt and Digitone you only need two tracks as you can feed Digitakt into Digitone and record these simultaneously into the same stereo track. Guitar will take one track, so you are fine with three tracks. Or four, if you feed the guitar trough the stereo FX box.

1 Like

This makes sense.

Thank you all for your input and advice!

1 Like

In case anyone here has a Macbook Pro, this might be useful: Tip: use Macbook Pro to record, no additional hardware needed

If anyone wants a barely used H4n Pro I’m looking to sell mine…

After a lot of reading, watching and hesitation, i bought the Zoom H6. And it is exactly what i was hoping for to record audio from my DT and DN. The multitrack, the overdubbing and mixer works perfect. The sound quality of the recordings are crisp and clear. I have to say that navigating through the menu is quite a challenge, but i will get used to it when using it more.

Connectivity with my PC and iPad via the build-in audio interface or Cardreader mode is working without any problems. I can copy the individual tracks to my DAW(Ableton) to finalize it. On my iPad i can use all 6 inputs of the H6 in Auria Pro to record the DT or/and DN directly.

So, i’m happy. Thanks all for your opinions, help and advice!

5 Likes

Question about pre-amps. So in what sense are pre-amps important if I’m recording my OT jams?
I know if using mics that the pre-amps are important, but I won’t be pushing the pre-amps hard if I’m recording line-in from my OT.
In this scenario would I notice a difference in recording quality between say a Zoom H6 and a SoundDevices Mixpre if not using mics?

actually you’d be recording line in so IDEALLY the preamps don’t get engaged at all (some cheaper Zoom and Tascam devices can’t do that - ie cannot circumvent the preamps - and that’s a negative). Then there’s ADDA conversion which is also important to the quality of your signal.

I’d just venture out and say that anything SoundDevices will have better conversion than anything Zoom. Whether that up in quality is actually needed really depends on application and intended purpose/outcome.

2 Likes

Cool. So it comes down to the ADDA conversion with transparent being better (I guess).

1 Like

not so much transparent vs coloured (eg the conversion in Apogee and Antelope devices tend to be quite coloured but in a great way!), it’s more a matter of detail and dimensionality.

I think I’ll probably just record into my OT (5 minute time limit) and drop the audio onto my computer. That way I’ll avoid the ADDA conversion issue.
Using an external recorder would be pretty nice just to record longer jams though - just that I can’t handle having recorded audio not sounding the same or sounding worse than when I was monitoring it.

Looking for a steer on cables…Are people using TRS (Balanced) 1/4” OUTPUT L/R from the Digitakt into a Zoom? And, Is there any significant difference between Jack to Jack vs. Jack (Digitakt) to XLR (Zoom)?

Also, given in the Digitakt manual it states ‘The stereo signal is summed to mono in the Digitakt’ is there any significant difference using separate TS (unbalanced) cables when transferring a sample out of a Zoom or are people using the same TRS (Balanced) cables for OUTPUT L/R (recording to Zoom) and INPUT L/R (sampling from Zoom)?

Not 100% certain, but if you use XLRs I think you’ll be tapping into the preamps rather than line in.

Digitakt samples in mono only. If you sum a stereo signal going in, it may change the sound (phase etc), but that’s just the nature of it. I send all my signals through an Apollo and then back out to my samplers (one of them being the digitakt) through separate outs, all in stereo. I use TRS cables for all those connections.

Thanks, ended up going for 2 x Male XLR to 1/4" TRS for recording out and 2 x short 0.5m 1/4” Male TS to 1/4” Male TS for sampling in

If it is just a simple single stereo line you are recording, why not just a H1N?
Anything more is overkill, no?

1 Like

This!

I own a h1n and it’s a very good fieldrecorder. It’s a bit plastic, but very small, light and cheap. For just 1 line-in recording it is very capable. I bought it for €79,-.

1 Like

Anyone got tips on getting the Takt to not run so hot into the H4Npro? I have to turn the input level on the Pro down to 1 in order to even turn the Takt up halfway…