The Behringer Gear-in-progress Thread

Re: The Behringer Model D

Quote of Uli Behringer from this excellent article [Good find t]:
The next batch will hopefully leave the factory by end of coming week with some units being air-shipped to the US. The production is still relatively slow due to the fact that each unit takes over 30 minutes to warm up followed by a meticulous one-hour calibration and quality assurance procedure.”

So this is a manufacturing problem, and not one that happens every time the user turns the box on cold. (Or it better be.)

Perhaps this is something like, which trimmer pot of the twenty do you set first and how, so you’re not changing this one that changes the setting of another one you already did. Coming up with a detailed manufacturing calibration procedure can take time. (Trimmer pots, or trimpots are the little components on the board that you can only get at inside the box. There can be capacitors and inductors like this too.)

There is no way they meet their internal cost goals if they need to do this much hand tweaking on every unit.

Put simply the engineering of a product for production, especially with the extreme constraint of low cost, is complicated. It takes time.

My own wild guess to what might have happened: Skip this.

Sounds to me that there is too loose a relationship between the engineering and/or quality assurance team with those in manufacturing. This sort of problem should get caught long before a large manufacturing run and shipment. This is something that companies can face when they are large and are spread geographically, and fail at close communication.

It also could come from trying to work too fast, feeling pressure, committing to a large manufacturing run too soon. Personal experience here – perhaps they’ve been delayed with something else already and are looking to hit a home-run to catch up to schedule.

It also could be incompetence in the engineering design that didn’t account for the calibration process in manufacturing and basically engineered something that is almost impossible to mass produce, as every unit is hand tuned. I doubt this but it sure is possible, it’s been done.

If the boog D is a ”clone” of the og moog circuit board, then sure enough the filter etc needs to be manually calibrated for each unit. Only logical.

2 Likes

I was thinking something like that when i wrote my screed Tsutek. Perhaps you mean this in jest too. Of course a “clone” could go right down to a copy of the PCB silk screen. I guess the goal is to copy the good stuff and take some license with stuff that shouldn’t have been there in the first place.

Actually i’d love all original thought!

Totally agree with this line of thinking. If it’s a pretty much exact clone it is logical that circuits need to be tuned. But as things are it will always be assumed that behringer is doing something wrong.
If moog release a statement citing the same thing was holding up their production of model d people would say it’s because of how precisely engineered they synths are and it shows the amount of care goin into each hand built synth.

Funny how things are that way.

3 Likes

Even when I bought a filterboard for my Shruthi-1 from tubeohm.de, the newly built filterboard had to be tuned & calibrated manually (which tubeohm did excellently ofc). Its quite normal really with analog synths, depending on the design.

It could be argued that behri shot their own foot by not designing a circuit that wouldn’t require such manual calibration, well perhaps one cannot do it like that if you still want the D sound (?)

More info – I went back a watch the Behri D teardown video and easily counted at least 10-12 trimmers to be adjusted.

Was the “Maelstrom” ever actually shown in a picture? It sounds extremely interesting to me but I never found a pic.

Woah.

Says that it’s semi modular but I don’t see any patch points?

2 Likes

Could this be the synth with 56 patch points on the right side, it’s clearly not shown?! Seems like that’s the trend these days.

EDIT: It seems like it is! It looks pretty bad but if it keeps the same street price as the D…
Now it’s time to release a synth with more west coast design.

Someone on gearslutz said it’s 250$ If that’s true Behringer just slayed Namm :smiley:

We didn’t get to properly see D yet and now this… Unfortunately it seems like it doesn’t have an external input and that’s a bit strange for a semi modular.

Circuit board shot:

1 Like

Neutron – Lemons found this over on the NAMM 2018 thread.

The video at 0:36 shows some detail of the connectors on the patch panel. Good choice of connections. I like the bank of connectors here, relative to the (fewer) and distributed connectors on the Behri-D.

I also love the RED though it has no effect on the sound – or does it?

The red makes it go faster and you look cooler mate.

1 Like

Neutron Details Video Episode #2
ADDED: All talk No Music!

“We went a little mad with the patch bay.”
“Some of the patches the guys have been setting up, just sound fantastic.”

1 Like

@Jukka

That is gonna be one bad ass synth I reckon, same oscillators as Pro-1 and other Sequential synths.

A video about a synth without actually hearing the synth should be punishable by law, they should get a fine or something :fury: :okej:

5 Likes

299$ :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes: And to think I was about to buy a Pro-1 for 1800$ :open_mouth: well I still might though :grinning:

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Behringer D Synth

On the Neutron – GC seems to have pulled the listing down, and i don’t see a for sale anywhere else – but it shows that a shipment is getting close. First time i’ve seen a price anywhere – $300 is great imo, same price as the B model D.

I’ll post everything re the Neutron here going forward: