Syncing DFAM with OT & MPC

Nice

Si it is just the Octatrack sending the cv signal?

1 Like

Yep! Just a loud short noise. You kind of have to tweak it but once you find the right volume/length/attack/release the sequencer will behave normally

1 Like

I use a trigger sample from E-rm. I find it easier and more reliable than a rimshot or whatever. Free download from here:

https://www.e-rm.de/downloads/

3 Likes

Midimuso CV-12 ORAC Diy Kit. you donā€™t have to be a professional when soldering - but you donā€™t have to have 2 left hands. for 35, - this is the cheapest option. the possibility to cascade 2 midimuso makes it a converter that can convert all 8 midi tracks from the octatrack and thus a lot more possibilities.
DFam sync cloc and more

the gate signal (midimuso) comes into the ADV / clock (dfam)
(the octatrack steps give the sequencer speed - a kind of clock divider function - regardless of whether dfam does it fast, slowly or both - that the sync is correct.

a cv signal and 4 control change signals to the dfam with pitch gives really cool sounds.

dfam without clock / ADV in then everything can be done on the octatrack sequencer without the dfam sequencer moving.

which converter does it and if it costs a lot of money.
CV.OCD would also be a nice option, but if you want to have everything in your eurorack and like me hardly any money ā€” this diy kit is indispensable for you

With gear that can also send out a trigger pulse, I always just sample that and play from OT/DAW.
Less fiddling around. :slight_smile:
Although it should be in the manual what kind of trigger signal and which voltage a device expects for triggering.

2 Likes

Yea thatā€™s fair. However I did discover some weiiird sounds because it was like each pulse was 400BPM or something. That or one DFAM was normal and the other one (in chain) would behave all weird.

I have since sampled the trigger but sometimes itā€™s cool to sample the odd behavior :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I have the Bastl KLIK that works well enough. Itā€™s a small unit that converts an audio signal to modular level. I have a 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch cable coming out of one of the cue outputs with a pulse sample on one track, hard-panned to the left. The KLIK needs power from a mini usb. I have the pulse sample going into the KLIK unit then to adv/clock on the DFAM. I usually make a couple of patterns on the DFAM with this setup which I then sample to free up the track that was dedicated to the clock as well as the cue outs.

2 Likes

Necroposting, Iā€™m trying to give clock signal from OT to DFAM using the metronome into cue out method, but the DFAM is taking in very odd rhythm, not stable but going really fast then stalling when it gets the signal in. Iā€™ve done this succesfully in the past but canā€™t figure out whatā€™s different this time.

Changing the metronome volume level changes how the DFAM sequencer advances, but I canā€™t seem to find a level where it would advance normally. Odd as I have done this before but have never got this kind of behaviour from the DFAM.

For me, itā€™s not worth using a whole audio track of the OT, just to send a trigger.
Would much rather spend a bit of money and get a midi to clock device or something like that

Iā€™m sure Iā€™ve done this with the metronome before, thus not needing to use a track for it. Just route the metronome to the cue output, but for some reason itā€™s not working right.

1 Like

I donā€™t have a DFAM, but maybe the trigger (metronome in this case) just needs more level for the DFAM to recognize it.

Itā€™s funny, audio level 0-84 doesnā€™t do anything, 85-88 triggers a step but doesnā€™t advance the sequencer (with RUN set on) and 89-127 makes the sequencer go wild, going really fast and stopping for a step when the metronome sends audio.

Triggers usually have to be output at the correct voltage range, that the device expects.

So if it worked before, just fiddle around with the output level to get the voltage right.

Ahhhh fuck me, TONAL needs to be set off from the OT metronome menu. Itā€™s always something, isnā€™t it?

This has been useful though, with TONAL set on the rhythms that came out of the DFAM were pretty damn wild.

3 Likes

Aww damnā€¦totally forgot about that^^
Using the metronome is actually quite clever. Canā€™t shuffle around trigs, which is always fun with seqs, that advance with triggers, but using a whole track just for that on the OT is kinda overkillā€¦

I wonder if you can use the delay without feedback on an audio track to funk up trigger output, maybe even modulating delay timeā€¦ :thinking:
Throw one or two trigs in there and let the delay go crazy^^ :grin:

So using the metronome out of the cue output works without issue for syncing the DFAM, eh? No need to give up an audio track to send it a click, then?

:thinking:

Iā€™m already seeing creative ways to work within the confines. If you use a TS cable out of the headphone jack output, you can use the headphone output knob creatively to freak the sequence live by muting/fading and returning the metronome signal with fast, rhythmic knob turns. Especially as it is the only non-endless pot on the OT.

2 Likes

May be worth experimenting with a delay pedal in there too.

Havenā€™t tried it with the OT, but I have successfully used the metronome on the Zoom R16 to sync it to Eurorack and the DFAM during recording. For one setup I had to amplify it using Ears in my modular rack, but I donā€™t remember the specifics. I had to use a particular metronome sample on the Zoom too, it has several and they werenā€™t all successful. Then again, expecting the DFAM to sync to a cowbell is probably a step too far.

Hi guys sorry to interfere but would this device help in any way to sync DFAM from DT?
Any advice welcome :pray:

1 Like

Yes it would. Sending triggers to the advance clock input.

I have one. I use it to sequence my MS20.

You send midi from your sequencer to the kenton. Then the kenton Gate and CV go to the DFAM (where you send those signals is up to you)

This would essentially give you a quantised regular old mono synth out of the DFAM (envelopes aside) Or you could get creative and see what you come up with.

1 Like