Sync to Ableton

Hey Guys,

I’ve got some problem to synch my MD to Ableton. it’s connected through a TM-1. I’ve got a Motu Soundcard and use the Motu ASIO for my Audio on Ableton. I tried to change the buffer size from my soundcard, i’ve tried to change the Driver error compensation on ableton and tried to change the midi clock sync delay also. I can’t get rid off that little delay. Anyone got a solution? My prophet 08 is the same but it’s ok and my A4 works fine.

thanks

no one?

The only thing you need to adjust is the MIDI clock sync delay for the TM-1 , nothing else.

See here under “Timing Issues”:
https://www.ableton.com/de/articles/synchronizing-live-midi/1

Note that the MIDI clock sync delay can be positive or negative.
Best is to adjust by ears, i.e. click on the value and shift around until it sounds right (should be in the < 50ms region).

Also:
how are the P08 and A4 synced ?
Does your MOTU have a MIDI out ?

my MD is always a few miliseconds off, but I guess I have to live with it … never used the tm 1 … I have MD midi sync to A4, and the A4 via USB sync to midi

Ableton is known for it’s bad MIDI implementation…

I dare to say that’s an urban myth.

if you succeed with the midi clock delay tell us what time worked for you

totally

Let me fix that for you:
Ableton is known for computer OS’s bad MIDI implementation

Sync-Gen II Pro (Innerclock Systems)

Fishbrain,
Unplug everything but your MD, then with the metro running on both devices goto Ableton preferences and for the port that you are using to send MIDI Clock to the MD (TM.-1 I guess?) set a negative value for Midi Clock Sync Delay. Usually -15 to -20ms for a a 128 256 buffer with I O active should work.

If that doesn’t work, change MIDI CLOCK SYNC DELAY to some extreme value like -200ms. Remember to use Negative Values, and check if something changes. If nothing changes means that we are doing something wrong.

Let me know how it was.
Best!

This is basically what I do, except that I have Live set up with a 1 bar count in. I arrange everything with my machines, set Live to the same BPM and cue all the tracks I want to record, hit record/play on Live, and press play on my master sequencer (OT these days) as soon as the count ends. No pissing about with computer sync, everything is in time with itself, and if I’m off a bit I can just drag the entire arrangement to the right place.

I wrote a tutorial, if someone is still interested in how solve this matter without an external clock device: Machinedrum and Ableton - Stable Sync via Ableton Link and iOS