Strange Behavior Using Headphone Out (Nevermind, I'm an Idiot)

Update I’ll leave the original post, just in case someone needs a friendly reminder. Ultimately, with my knobs in “catch” mode, I didn’t realize that I hadn’t caught some of the pots up to their positions, allowing me to adjust the values to where I want them. Once I tried that, the Heat was back to normal, making the mix sound super-awesome. Thanks to those who responded with tips.

[Original Post]
I encountered some weird behavior when playing with my recently acquired Heat last night. I was trying something a little different and I set it up next to my couch, with only Digitakt plugged into the inputs of Heat. I listened using the headphone out of Heat, hoping to hear some wonderfully heated up sounds. The experience was not what I expected. At times, it seemed as though the effect wasn’t doing anything to the sound, at other times the resonance of the filter would start to howl, even when it was turned way down (adjusting filter dirt down seemed to help, but that would render the Heat invisible). I wonder if there was some strange ground loop going on? I have no idea.

Speaking of the filter - filter sweeps didn’t act as normal. For example, Turning a LPF all the way down didn’t make the sound go away, as if the dry signal was bleeding through the whole time. I may need to get more practice with the device, but nothing seemed to respond how I thought it should. I know these examples are somewhat unique, but has anyone else experienced anything like this with Heat? Is there a better way to ease myself into using this box? It does great things when it’s working properly, I just wish it were as immediate / intuitive as Digitakt has been for me.

Thanks.

1 Like

What is your dry/wet knob set to and your wet level set at?

Not sure if this is the issue, but you have to “reset” the functions in a way. When you turn it on, you have to turn knobs all the way down, like resetting them to get them to work. I struggled with this when I first got it. I would mess with the filter, nothing would happen. But when I turned the filter knob all the way up, then down, it started working.

So yea, try that…

There might be another way to reset the functions, but above works for me.

Hi, so I had that thought as well. I kept turning up Wet Level and Dry/Wet to max. However, I might have forgotten about the “catch” knob setting and maybe my dry/wet knob needed to be turned down in order to then turn it up to full wet. I’ll give it another go tonight, but I don’t know if that explains 100% of my issues. Thanks for the advice / questions.

First post updated due to me being an idiot and not realizing that I had to catch my knob positions on the pots, to make the adjustments I wanted. Cheers.

1 Like