Stop/Start for instant pattern change

if the sequencer is stopped the pattern change will be instant - so technically it’s possible if you’re really fast and coordinated!

5 Likes

Interesting idea. I tried, it’s pretty fast indeed, but difficult with OT only for almost instant change ! I can program it with a midi processor, I wonder if there is a minimum latency needeed between midi events… Flagged

surprisingly it was very easy to do manually - just cue up the pattern change before stopping the sequencer, it will change to the cued pattern upon stopping, and then you just immediately restart the sequencer, all you need is a little bit of flam action finger drumming style on the sequencer buttons right after you cue up your pattern

8 Likes

Yeah first I tried Stop Pattern Play. Very hard!
Much easier with Pattern cue Stop Play! :smile:

1 Like

Not with this method :slight_smile:
Changes straight away, like volca sample
(Restrictions apply!)

Separate track patterns. Is it possible?

1 Like

Funny I already flagged your link. :wink:
Didn’t try / understood yet.

But guess what, with a midi processor, if you send PC/STOP/START, you have instant pattern change ! :beer: :champagne:

I just tried, it’s late, but I can’t wait to change patterns with an arpegiator! :loopy:
Things like @void generative patterns can be done with OT :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I’d like to like people trying and confirming it ! :slight_smile:

1 Like

This also works for jumping to the start of the current pattern. I haven’t had much need on the OT but on other sequencers I’ve done it a lot over the years, and you get to a point where you can basically play a flam with two fingers on the stop and play buttons to stop and restart in a single motion (one finger hits stop and the other hits play an instant later, but the actual movement is your hand and arm, not your fingers). I think the OT MKI would be really well suited for this because of the action of the buttons.

3 Likes

Does it work well with Prog Change only?

I just noticed you can hold stop and start the pattern each time you hit play.
I was doing this with my Jomox Xbase 09 before, It was synced to one step.
Plays Free tracks can be synced !

1 Like

I noticed that once but forgot about it… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh wow, I didn’t notice that. That is extremely useful.

HI there.
I don’t know if this has been resolved in another thread.
I recently bought a Pyramid. Been an old time OT user.
I am using this technique slightly altered and everything works snappy changing patterns on the fly(relatching them in PYRAMID terminology)
Instead of using start stop messages I use the restart midi note (B-35).
I have setup a pyramid track which sends to the auto channel and has patterns. Each pattern are set to play one time and has it’s own MSB-PG settings along with a restart midi note on the first step.Patterns change rapidly if I set PYRAMID tracks to change its own patterns insta or on the beat.
Really useful since that I have abandoned the OT Arranger which was always cumbersome for me.

1 Like

Maybe this helps?

You have to wait till 7m30s to have the answer. Boring.
Just a midi Restart (B35) as above @Kraftf’s post. Nothing new.

3 Likes

Hi buddies!
By any chance: no way with digitone to do this, right? I tried, but failed.

With Program Changes? Should work.
But Digitone has Multi Map, possible to use it to play patterns…

PAT.PLAY maps a chosen pattern to a specific keyboard range.

1 Like

I think i created a simple blokas midihub patch to Instantly switch running patterms (no legato)!from a midi Controller/sequencer (in my case Deluge) on all Elektron boxes in my setup (DN/ DT/ Octatrack). I can Share it if anyone wants. Needs some testing first.

3 Likes

You can always share it in the Files section for future users.

1 Like

I made a little video on the subject if it can help some.

4 Likes