Stereo - > mono

would be great if one of the experts had i simple solution, without using to many resources like new tracks etc.

and yes, i think it’s an easy feature for a programmer to implement this “panning to center” function - and it makes musically so much sense! especially in combination with the scenes and parameter locks.

thanks again.

Zou have the spatializer effect, with mid / side settings its settings page… turn on the mid side and turn down the side to zero to get a mono signal…

4 Likes

really, i looked at the manual and assumed that’d be the best place for that, but it seemed not, will investigate further !!

1 Like

cool, it can narrow a track, but it can’t be p-locked or edited without going into setup page and toggling the M/S dial - good call though !

1 Like

works fine - thanks a lot!

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: OT: create mono from stereo sample

I couldn’t find informations about this in the manual, exept for buffers.

If the loaded sample is longer than allowed by the buffer it will be truncated. Mono samples will also be converted to stereo.

I searched for mono in the pdf without luck.

not sure why I was so certain about that - for sure the tracks are stereo and the simplest way to test would be to consume the ram with two samples, one a mono version of stereo track to see if the usage is the same (it makes little sense when resources are scarce, but it wasn’t just speculation) …

although

Here’s what I found:

Which leads me to believe recorder buffers are alway saved as stereo but regular samples can be either…

The part about converting mono to stereo I think just has to do with this:

3 Likes

in the audio editor … under the edit menu
“mix channels”

3 Likes

Interesting, someone should definitely compare the RAM use of mono and stereo samples of identical length. I thought ALL samples were converted to stereo when they were loaded into RAM. If that’s not true and it’s possible to save RAM by loading mono samples instead of stereo when possible that would be great news.

I’d do it myself but I’m about to go out of town for a week.

Just made the test with a 12 mn mono sample. 65 Mo. FLEX.
Error message. I go to memory config to set reserve length.

And…IT WORKS ! :thup:

I thought it was converted to stereo too !
Not very clear in the manual.

2 Likes

Good to clear that up and it’s good news for preserving precious resources with samples imported into flex - recording will always be in stereo iirc, and I don’t recall seeing that you can discard a channel of the capture

1 Like

But as for a way to record a mono sample and it not be hard panned L or R there is now way, right?

Possible if you choose A, B, C or D, in REC SETUP. The recording will be stereo, with identical channels.

If you want to make a track mono :

You can record it with SRC3 internal recording.

1 Like

Hi everybody !

I would like to know if it is possible to transform stereo samples with the spatializer or with an other onboard tool ?

I would like to send different samples to only one out…
Thanks !

Spatializer is just an effect. Not a file converter.
You can send any sample to the cue out and adjust panning so you only get one channel.

If your sample contains stereo image and you want to preserve all the info, best to make that sample mono on a computer first, then drag back into your OT. Audacity is free and works like a charm.

1 Like

As I often isolate the content of one channel when working with samples (works a treat with 60’s / 70’s records where instruments are pan’d as fuck…), turning it to mono to recreate my own stereo field later, I was wondering how to do that with OT. For those also wondering:

• hard balance your sample left or right to keep only the channel you want.
  • spatializer as fx, phase: none, mid/side: on, mid gain: max, side gain: 0, input: 127
  • resample

There you go!

1 Like

Replying to this thread for awareness…

MIX CHANNELS

• ADD CH L+R will merge the left and right channels of the selected section and distribute the merged audio to both the left and right channels.

Is this a good thread for me to ask when is appropriate to use AB vs A+B. The manual explains hard panning vs summing, but practically, for the n00b, what is the usefulness of each?

1 Like