Status Update on Overbridge [posted February 2018]

Hypothetically speaking when OB comes out would it be possible for someone to reverse engineer it and figure out how to make a box to break out the individual outputs? I have no idea whether that’s a momentous task or simply impossible but it would be cool. I’m more interested in individual outs than OB itself. Just curious as it’s obviously possible to stream all tracks individually. Made me think

2 Likes

OB is a VST/AU that runs on a Windows/OSX box within a DAW. I guess your best bet would be a slim headless windows box (or Mac mini) set to autostart Ableton and strapped to an audio interface.

1 Like

They need to release this like today. Tr8s started shipping. Mine is en route. If it’s good enough, digitakt goes on eBay, overbridge could save the situation.

1 Like

At that point I’d definitely just use OB. Was just wondering if it was an impossible feat to figure out how OB decodes audio and make a box with 8 outs. Cheers for the suggestion though. Elektron should sell it as an add on, would make sense for when they stop updating overbridge

2 Likes

This could be a fun project, run it on a headless Linux box with an vst wrapper. Might be possible?

Possible on the A4 at least: Interest check Separate outs mod

1 Like

Only if Elektron write a device driver for Linux, I imagine. I’ve had no luck running Overbridge via Wine as yet (it’s OK on a virtual Windows 7 desktop though).

I’m only here for a good laugh. Sold off all my Elektron stuff. Good day…

4 Likes

FYI, in the latest updated manual for Digitakts version 1.07 on page 18 (Came yesterday, March 9th) it clearly states in that overbridge will be available with Digitakt version 1.10, we’re up to 1.07 so I guess we have to wait a couple of updates further…

Fact is, if they get it right OB will sell a tonne more boxes. Also, I thought it was a great gesture when they said OB is now free and they ditched the premium idea. I thought that was a great deal for missing the deadline

1 Like

I’m gonna piss myself laughing when 1.10 for DT drops but OB 1.20 doesn’t come out for 2 years

1 Like

I don’t see why elektron could not jump from 1.07 to 1.10 :wink:

3 Likes

Me neither! :stuck_out_tongue:

Direct jump…

2 Likes

Of course the other thing to consider is Overbridge is currently at 1.15, and that sometimes version numbers increment only by a alphabetical suffix, some of the versions do not get released though.

i wait now 8 1/2 month for Overbridge… i am tired… eBay… ciao…

3 Likes

I purchased the Digitakt so I could record a long jam session & record the audio as multitrack, then edit this down to a song. Then crucially mix the thing down. Now I was surprised when I had my (pre-order Digitakt delivered back in April 2017) to find it did not include overbridge.

No problem I thought i’ll take a look online. then to my disappointed I read it would be released later in the year… that’s a bit open ended I thought considering its April 2017. But never mind i’ll just learn the thing inside out before the multi tracks come.

Now here I am nearly a year later, & the digitakt is nearly full of samples, I can’t back up any of my samples, or music. Or use the thing for the reason I bought it for.

As my introduction to Elektron gear I must admit i’m very disappointed, with how this has been prioritised & communicated, don’t think i’ll be buying anything more in a hurry.

10 Likes

Yeah it’s really bad at this point. Hopefully they are starting to roll out updates across the whole line up with OB 2.0 at the end.

Well, of course this is not impossible. But it ain’t gone be cheap. You’ll need at least 8 high quality DAs to convert the digital streams back into analog signals and some “standard platform” to run it on etc.pp.

If Elektron would provide such a break-out box it would at least cost around €500.- and a DIY box wouldn’t be much cheaper when you want quality.

The A4MKII has already separate outs. Since the voices are analog it’s simple to route them out (no conversion needed).