Status Update on Overbridge [posted February 2018]

Not as much as me. I’m freezing!

I’m just trying to cut through the crap a bit. Lots of whingey keyboard warriors have dropped away on being asked to articulate what exactly Elektron are supposed to have done wrong, and left a few sensible people like yourself gamely trying to make the case.

Anyway, enjoy your Toblerone. Go in peace. :peace_symbol:

@jefones, @mr-analog,

Haha, I really like toblerone :slight_smile:

"The Competition Act (in Canada)

1. Representations relating to products
    Any representation relating to a product that is being offered for sale should contain all the information necessary to enable a reasonable purchaser to make a sound purchasing decision.

2.4 Non-disclosure of material information
Any information that would likely have a tendency to affect a purchasing decision should be included.

Examples: Sewing machines represented as capable of certain functions, where an additional item is required before the machine can perform as advertised."

The way that they advertised it for a period of time, “the period of my purchase” (when they said OB out in Feb 2018 on their website, and OB enabled on the box) influenced and affected my decision to buy that machine.

I don’t really understand the overprotection of ELEKTRON here. I’m a fan of their products, but I can also critics there advertising method, no? Nothing to do with good faith, intentions or lies… They just messed up on this, I know it and they know it.

FYI: I’I have no intention to sue them… I bought the machine directly from them, I am sure they’ll refund the machine if I ask them and return it. They know they’re in the wrong here. I just wan’t a kind of justice (and swiss chocolate).

Me too! Will probably buy two and keep one…

So… is your contention that Elektron didn’t disclose that Overbridge was needed? Presumably not because you go on to say…

And now we’re in March and Overbridge is nine days late. They’ve published an apology (good), but haven’t updated all references to Overbridge’s release date (bad), or got all retailers to pass on updated information (nice to have).

So as far as I can see the only currently incorrect and potentially misleading information is the delayed release date of Overbridge. The necessity of Overbridge hasn’t been omitted from marketing infos.

But if I’m right that Overbridge would be considered a separate product, then you need contend that Elektron weren’t sufficiently clear that it was needed, not that it was available for it to directly be analogous to the sewing machine thing

[FYI: the guy is here doing my boiler as I type. I am still cold. I am not yet googling Toblerone shipping costs]

Hope your talking about the big ones! Not the small one with only 3 small triangles :slight_smile:

All I’m saying here is the way they advertised it in that period, influence or affect my purchase decision. The option of streaming the 8 outs trough USB was a big selling point to me. I know (and hope) it will be possible in a near future but it was supposed to be before the end of Feb.

YES! like you said the only incorrect and misleading information is the delayed release of OB and I think that’s enough to get a refund from ELEKTRON. My goal here is not to be a millionaire, I just want to have the product I paid for (with all the options available at the predicted moment)

Can we agree that they made a BIG deal out of OB and that it was kind of a key selling point from day 1 (even if it’s 2 seperate entities) and that they failed to deliver on the date they annouced?

I’m not a lawyer or jurist, just a discouraged customer who’s asking for more rigor from companies.

Pretty sure that’s not enough to win my Toblerone but it’s ok, I’ll by myself one :wink:

Cheers!

1 Like

https://www.elektronauts.com/news/411

A post was merged into an existing topic: OS Updates! Rytm MKII 1.40C, Digitakt 1.07, Digitone 1.02

The “additional item” example probably doesn’t apply because Elektron’s advertising makes a clear distinction between features inherent in the Digitakt and the features of Overbridge. They’ve consistently advertised Overbridge as a separate product – not as a function of Digitakt or the other boxes.

@resetlessboy has repeated this point about a hundred times precisely because it nullifies (imo, anyway) what would otherwise be a good argument.

This is simple and compelling imo. No one forced Elektron to publish a specific release date and it’s hardly a stretch to claim that an advertised add-on product influenced your decision to buy. But I think that gets you a refund at best. A lawsuit – even in a country with strong consumer rights – would typically have a much higher bar, and I strongly doubt that missing a release date by a few weeks or even months would clear it. And that’s the essence of your claim here: you’re unhappy because Elektron missed the February release date which lapsed 9 days ago.

So don’t hold your breath for that Toblerone!

I think you’re conflating people’s motivations with their opinion on a really narrow question of Elektron’s legal liability for missing a release date. It’s unsurprising that a bunch of non-lawyers disagree about this and there’s no need to label them as “overprotective” or “haters” or anything else based on their opinion.

Exactly. If you wanted a refund you would likely get it without issue and then you wouldn’t have any remaining “damages” to sue for. You’re kind of making the other side’s point here.

I don’t mean to twist your words or be overly serious, but in the context of a lawsuit it’s not enough to say someone is “in the wrong” or that you “want a kind of justice.” You have to point out the specific statute that was violated and demonstrate how you, personally, were damaged by it. You don’t need any of that to complain to a regulatory board or ask for a refund, but those things are very different from a lawsuit.

1 Like

A refund won‘t happen for sure!

BUT if, i see some business coming to us :nerd_face:

A kind of refund (breadcrumb) is giving OB for free, what is a stragical goal for them, because they’re now not responsible to offer a working OB over more than version 2.0. so they fullfilled their promisses and can quit what they‘re not able to handle!

isn‘t it pretty naiv to think they will make us happy with a well working OB after they can‘t offer birectional sample transfer for AR & DT since years!?

i‘m sure even me will get this fixed by that time and i‘m just producing tracks :joy:

Hypothetically speaking when OB comes out would it be possible for someone to reverse engineer it and figure out how to make a box to break out the individual outputs? I have no idea whether that’s a momentous task or simply impossible but it would be cool. I’m more interested in individual outs than OB itself. Just curious as it’s obviously possible to stream all tracks individually. Made me think

2 Likes

OB is a VST/AU that runs on a Windows/OSX box within a DAW. I guess your best bet would be a slim headless windows box (or Mac mini) set to autostart Ableton and strapped to an audio interface.

1 Like

They need to release this like today. Tr8s started shipping. Mine is en route. If it’s good enough, digitakt goes on eBay, overbridge could save the situation.

1 Like

At that point I’d definitely just use OB. Was just wondering if it was an impossible feat to figure out how OB decodes audio and make a box with 8 outs. Cheers for the suggestion though. Elektron should sell it as an add on, would make sense for when they stop updating overbridge

2 Likes

This could be a fun project, run it on a headless Linux box with an vst wrapper. Might be possible?

Possible on the A4 at least: Interest check Separate outs mod

1 Like

Only if Elektron write a device driver for Linux, I imagine. I’ve had no luck running Overbridge via Wine as yet (it’s OK on a virtual Windows 7 desktop though).

I’m only here for a good laugh. Sold off all my Elektron stuff. Good day…

4 Likes

FYI, in the latest updated manual for Digitakts version 1.07 on page 18 (Came yesterday, March 9th) it clearly states in that overbridge will be available with Digitakt version 1.10, we’re up to 1.07 so I guess we have to wait a couple of updates further…

Fact is, if they get it right OB will sell a tonne more boxes. Also, I thought it was a great gesture when they said OB is now free and they ditched the premium idea. I thought that was a great deal for missing the deadline

1 Like

I’m gonna piss myself laughing when 1.10 for DT drops but OB 1.20 doesn’t come out for 2 years

1 Like

I don’t see why elektron could not jump from 1.07 to 1.10 :wink:

3 Likes