Status update on Overbridge [posted May 2018]

That Digitakt editor UI is now going to be the stuff of my dreams…

1 Like

As someone who only uses computers for info searches I dont have convienient access to a device that could run OB2, or any idea whats available, does anyone have a rough idea how much it would cost to go OB?.

Thanks for the update. Feeling slightly better about this now…

Looks great. I’m guessing it will be readyish around next year’s NAMM and I’m also guessing a release a couple of months after that.

2 Likes

Librarian, pattern mangling to different projects, please! :smiley:

1 Like

so will A4 MK1 and AR MK1 compatible using Overbridge with a Digitone??? And which USB speed / Lantency is it then?

1 Like

Pretty disappointing update for AR Mk1 users. Latency was unuseable on OB1 (over 30ms) and appears to not change for us.
So we have to wait years, Years!!! for sample management and all we get is a shiny new UI?
Wow…, just wow.

4 Likes

Thanks for the update!

My heart jumped but then I read the post.
Anyway let’s hope it’s not too far in the future.

1 Like

It was always going to be a hardware limitation on the Mk1 units, slower USB or something.

I may be wrong but I thought the AR M1 usb was High speed 2.0 and it was coded to run at “full speed” instead of high speed.
However, the main point is all new boxes after AR 1 have received firmware updates. AR needs one and apparently has one just sitting around for nearly a year to give us much needed functions like sample management. We are told we (unlike anyone else for some reason) must wait for the fabled OB2.
The only real difference I’m seeing between OB1 and OB2 for MK1 users is a new UI and standalone/daw compatibility.
Unless OB has sequncer control (doubt it) then I’m still working on the box, instead of constantly looking between box and screen.
So, MK1 users have had to sacrifice years of not having normal functions like sample management for next to nothing in return.
What a crap way to treat long time users.

4 Likes

id consider selling mk1 devices stat

Ever since mk2 units came out, the Rytm has lost up to 50% in resale value. And what would I buy, an MK2 so I can give elektron more money for their crappy way of handling this?

7 Likes

Hybrid boxes seem problematic pieces of art.

Software + HW as separate entities is a safer bet
Multiple Outputs always important on HW
Eurorack and digital modular … seem to be the way forward for max flexibility.

2 Likes

Nothing about project management…lame…we need a way to manage projects with these machines…organize kits and patterns from different projects is highly needed and has been missing for too long…

1 Like

Usually an editor IS not a recorder

Damn you got sharp eyes

7 Likes

In fact this means MK1 and MK2 stuff will not have a symbiotic relationship …

Good that i‘ve already stopped waiting fo OB!

That does it. Never moaned about overbridge, trusting that elektron will get to grips with latency on analog mki units, which is a whopping 29ms, way too much even for usb bandwidth, and here we are - an update addressing latency in mkii units only and a fucking EDITOR.

I loved your ethic when you wrote “this is only the beginning” on your boxes and trusted your direction, and you’ve delivered great things with the firmware updates, new rytm engines and audio rate modulation for a4. But overbridge also was always part of the deal and it’s hopeless for mk1 users after all these years.

7 Likes

Lower latency means that the mk2 will have lower latency than the mk1, due to running high-speed USB. However, the latency is improved for mk1 units as well.

23 Likes