Status Update on Overbridge [posted February 2018]

Maybe the case, but doesn’t the Rytm mk1 still not have backup? Wasn’t that released like 7 years ago? (I know it’s not a “sampler” and only loads samples, but still surprised me when I found out it also cannot be backed up and you have to keep a folder with a copy of every sample you ever copy to it as a “backup”)

At least Simon says it’s coming, fingers crossed it’s not another year or two before we get it :dizzy_face:

2 Likes

No backup on a completely digital sampling box that is aimed at live and holds 1Gb of work isn’t really credible to me. Bi-directional sample transfer was always promised, or at least inferred. What is ‘sample management functionality’ If it doesn’t allow you to manage the samples off the machine and onto the computer?

IMHO it should be possible to possible to back the rest of the box’s user data by MIDI bulk dump or similar approaches.

Can’t believe some seem to be wilfully ignoring pretty much all the competition in this area as well as the last decades of Sys Ex bulk dump, class compliant USB file access, removable memory cards, and going back further, SCSI interfaces on samplers etc etc.

I simply would not have bought it if I couldn’t back up samples. And I am still a little nervous to spend too long sampling on the box since I don’t like to lose work and effort. Ok I could treat DT solely as a disposable scratchpad for work in progress - but that’s not what was promised.

Bring it on, I say! :grinning:

2 Likes

I logged a ticket when my Digi crashed. I was told sample backup will come so pretty sure we’ll see this at some point.

1 Like

Backing up samples is nothing to do with OverBridge or the announcement above.

Let’s keep it strictly On Topic please, there are threads for the other issues.

It’s quite clear that delivering OverBridge as soon as it’s ready is a top priority for Elektron, no amount of chat about this or that above or below is going to hasten that. I’m not at liberty to say much, but I can attest from discussions around the first beta phase to the complexities of delivering this from a development standpoint. It’s frustrating to see so many armchair developers offer easy solutions when they clearly don’t show a full understanding of the challenges. But I do agree that the marketing of the technology has been so pushed at the expense of credibility that it will test people’s goodwill and patience, but again, no amount of chat about that will change anything. The challenges will likely be about stability/performance and not about manpower and certainly not about expertise/willpower etc; you can predict how long it’ll take you to manufacture X synths, but you cannot predict with the same degree of confidence whether a technical challenge will be surmounted. I got the impression getting it right first time for the Mk1s was a bit like spinning plates and I can also attest to the long additional hours the developers put in to get it delivered. I’m not an apologist either, there are broader knock-on aspects of this whole OverBridge episode I find really disappointing and inexcusable, but you have to trust that these people know what they are doing and that we don’t know the whole story from out here. Having said that, I’ll be livid if Mavericks support is dropped when the new device OSs are rolled out assuming no support for the old OB (which was always stable and low latency on my modest machine - just not in terms of the interface sadly which was plagued with issues on my setup and preferred DAW)

8 Likes

I’m sure Elektron would be very happy to see this thread closed, but you really shouldn’t do that. You’ll make the whole situation much worse.

1 Like

Really ? You seem to have access to informations I don’t have. Any hint on what is meant by “sample management” if it does not include backup ? I’d love to stay on topic, can you help ?

If there’s no backup in this “sample management”, then I’ll just stick with Crunch/Digitakt-manager for the management part (a very nice and useful app by one of those “armchair developers”) and I’ll happily leave this discussion thread.

6 Likes

Nonsense.
Elektron stated that backing up and generally better file management is being held back until the next overbridge update.
So, while these are separate issues they are very much linked by being put into the same release.

In case you’re wondering, i don’t give a rat’s arse about OB, but i have been waiting for years for some proper file management thankyouverymuch.
The longer i wait, the more i get the feeling that the credits the scene is giving elektron is misplaced.

9 Likes

That has been exactly my understanding of “Sample management functionality”:
how should this clearly announced feature even be possible without sample exchange back and forth between device and computer, of course implying backup functionality?

If that is true, how could this topic not belong into this thread???

4 Likes

Overbridge MK1 was never stable for me. I’m afraid the OB 2.0 delays mean it’s not going to be stable for mk2 either - at least after the first major windows or macos update, unless they dedicate resources to continually keep it up to date.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Off-topic replies

My guess is it means: drag samples to and from the +drive / soundpool

Otherwise it would say “Complete Sample back up and transfer”

Vagueries also cover their butts for being able to deliver an interpreted version of whatever that means

But hey, any one of those dot points could be delayed from 2.0

Pretty sure it has everything to do with overbridge

4 Likes

Overbridge was, is and will be a great may things, good for some, bad for some.

But one thing that Overbridge clearly is more than anything else for Elektron, is a well-meaning but at the time naive idea, spawned a few years ago, when they were a different company, to position themselves in a market where hardware was still coming to terms with its new rise.

I’m gonna go ahead and assume that Overbridge as a concept was born before we got our hands on the Analog Four, and things were very different then, and a few assumptions were made and no one with the proper experience was around to say “Hey, wait a minute.” The road to hell is paved with good intentions, and Elektron’s goodwill hasn’t brougt them back from the furnace yet.

If anything, I hope Elektron has learned to recruit those people now, those that weren’t around in the beginning, those that could put Overbridge on a proper and dignified path to a professional release. It’s just possible that this is what we’re seeing now, someone brought in to tell the Elektrons to shut up, face the music and finish the damn thing, and don’t look back after that.

Wouldn’t it have been great if they just put 4 outs on the DT and DN? I wouldn’t need OB then. Even if they were an extra $150 bucks.

Probably impossible but if there’s any chance that an OS update could send to the headphone out as output 3/4 that would do.

Probably just a mirror of the main outs but if it isn’t…

Either way, I look forward to the DT Mk2 with 6 or 8 outs and SD card slot :+1:

3 Likes

That’s exactly the point.

Overbridge is no trivial task. And stability problems and other issues are indeed likely to occur, especially in the first phases of development. I have been beta-testing similar software for a hardware synth some years ago, and know it is challenging.

But what, if so long after first development steps, the whole project gets heavy delays and issues again? And what, if that happens with the next hardware generation, from the same developer, who developed the new generation OS, and had all options available to make OS and Overbridge compatible?

In this case, questions arising, concerning possible underempoyment in the OS/Overbridge area, are anything but far fetched. To keep something like Overbdrige (which IMHO is essential for significant Elektron growth) up to date and working, you need significantly more resources, than while developing drum machines and synths step by step.

While dealing with that is completely up to Elektron, it is up to us to react to completely unacceptable gaps between advertising and delivering, and to bad or hardly existent communication. And from what I know from company staff of other companies, they very well DO notice the degree of critical feedback, knowing all to well, that these are signals which will concern selling statistics in no time.

Any effort to discourage critical (non-insulting) feedback in this forum, is rather vain from my view. Most users are good willing, as long as their legitimate interests are not played down in inappropriate patronizing ways.

2 Likes

Imagine how many awesome Elektron boxes won’t see the light of day because of OB :cry:

OB will be an ongoing development timesink, maybe it will be worth it, maybe not.

1 Like

It will be a timesink for good reason IMHO.

From my view the market for completely computer integrated hardware has several times the magnitude of that of pure hardware. ALL my analog and VA hardware synths (Moogs, Prophet 6, Microkorg XL etc.) offer that: it’s simply more or less standard nowadays, if you want to reach all kinds of musicians.

A company can decide to keep it as pure hardware, and there are always some musicians who only want to use hardware as it is, especially with live drum boxes. But still, that’s only a fraction of the possible market. Once developed and working, Overbdrige will earn Elektron much more than it costs: it’s a smart investment into their future.

1 Like

Tho only hardware synth I know that offers equivalent to Overbridge is the Virus TI.
Just having a VST based editor for a synth is not quite the same thing.

3 Likes

There will be new boxes for sure. After Digitakt Elektron has released four new devices and zero new OB updates. It’s quite clear where their priorities are.

No, Access just were the first.

Both for my Moogs and for the Prophet 6 I have full integration plugins, with audio streams and full controller functionality, which aren’t just Editors/Librarians (those exist as well).