Status update on Digitakt OS

I wing something up when I’m back at the studio :slight_smile:

1 Like

One thing that seems to be a trend lately is early adopting amateur reviewers showing gear in only a positive light, sure it is great that these guys are actually doing video reviews, and enthusiasm over the features is welcomed, but not mentioning bugs and problems with gear ultimately ends up with potential customers getting a false impression. Sometimes it seems almost like they are getting incentives from the manufacturers to gloss over any problems or issues, this isn’t just Elektron gear either it seems to be happening with lots of different brands. Some of these reviewers are a little more critical but most of them seem to avoid saying anything that could be considered even mildly critical. Positivity is great, but when it comes to reviews a more honest one is more useful both for the manufacturers and the consumers.

7 Likes

So true. Most reviews these days seem to be ads disguised as reviews to sell gear.

3 Likes

Yes it sometimes seems that these reviewers are so greatful they got an early unit that they don’t want to upset the manufacturer. Sure I get that some bugs or problems are not apparent within the first few hours but if you have not had the time to check full functionality then probably best to hold off from doing a review IMHO.

To be clear I’m talking just about reviews, not tutorials, unboxings or first jams, for reviews I like to see the good, the bad and the ugly - especially if a fistful of dollars is at risk of being spent :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I like how they say “the busiest year in elektron history”

But they’re the ones that made it that way. What are we supposed to feel bad for them that they launched a bunch of MKII’s the same year that they released a buggy secret beta hardware drum machine?

They bit off more than they could chew, and we the customers are the ones that continue to suffer for it.

5 Likes

Yeah, I don’t really see anywhere in the op that ask customers to feel sorry for the company. It’s literally an apology citing this being a busy year for them as part of the reason the apology is being issued. They probably know they undertook more than they could handle and regret it. Hence the apology to customers.
I understand you are unhappy with having purchased a digitakt but no need to twist words or add tone to the original post. Take it for what it is, an apology about the delay. If an apology makes things ok for you cool, if not cool.

3 Likes

Haha yeah it’s a total gamble unfortunately for an early adopter of a product.
As consumers we rely on reviews of a new product, but unfortunately these early reviews are generally from select people in the industry that have been given the product directly from the company to review :smirk:
Now there is no way these hipsters are going to give the product a negative review. This is like a part time job to these select few, and they do want to keep their job. Give a negative review and they won’t be doing any more in the future, for any company. It is a complete conflict of interest.
These ‘reviews’ are nothing more than glorified ads.
I think the most credible source for early reviews are from Nick Batt and the sonicstate crew. Nick seems like a straight shooter to me.
The solution? Wait till the product is out in the wild, being used by PAID punters who have no bias either way.

3 Likes

Not sure if I should mention names but I recall a story of a journalist losing his job after giving a bad review of an Audio Technica microphone. AT and the publication had expected him to “know his role,” unaware that he had a long-standing reputation for being very blunt and candid

Not to say that this is what’s happening here. Audio Technica has OK products but build quality is far inferior to many of their competitors. You at least get what you pay for.

100% right about Nick. I don’t think he can tell a lie about his user experience.

1 Like

Hm. I don’t remember hearing anything critical regarding bugs or stability issues with the Digitakt from Sonic State.

The only one who was critical in a review in this regard was Stimming who seemed to actually have been using his unit for a while:

Really?
Well there you go. Nick sold out too.
I’ve lost faith in all humanity :laughing:

Elektron clearly has everyone in its pockets! It’s all a huge conspiracy!

Nope, just the ones they send free stuff to and the magazines they buy advertisements from.

Of course, it’s the same for most if not all manufacturers (most just don’t release stuff totally unfinished). Real reviews are becoming hard to find.

1 Like

Agree on this. I was about to comment on your first post. It indeed is a difference between tutorials and reviews. But I didn’t have to. You said it yourself. :grinning:
I have also noticed that people in communities getting a little upset with that kind of “reviews” where it’s evident that they got It from the manufacturer.
I think it’s important to say what kind of video it is.

I was joking. :slight_smile:

I wasn’t.

1 Like

That´s why i like Nick Batt´s reviews. He always puts out every side, in his very polite understateish way.

2 Likes

But…you can say this about ANY kind of gear or videogame review nowadays. Critical ones are hard to find…but also sometime the ones who are critical are then always over the top with their critic.

all media is a medium of advertising…a revenue source
No conspiracy there…