Started using Pickup Machines on stage

Ok, have done two shows now, as preparations for some more extensive touring in the fall.

It seems to be doing pretty well, but wanted to throw out a question.
These factors trig DUB ABORTED: (have happened once per show)

LFO not set to zero
PITCH not set to zero
also i think when the CROSSFADER is in not 0 position

did i miss something here.

Also, the are bugs that are resolved when i power cycle the machine. It actually works pretty well but feels a bit unorthodox.

Other things you’ve picked up, no pun intended?

There are lots of topics about the use of pickup machines already, including this one that may have the answer to your first question:

Watch for pitch in scene assignments too.

2 Likes

Sometimes holding the track button corresponding to the pickup machine and pushing ‘yes’ will re-arm the track after a ‘dub aborted’ message. And then sometimes I’ll turn grid recording off and clear the recording Buffer and that will reset it too

1 Like

wow thanks i’m glad i asked!

what does that mean, re-arming the track (i know how to do it) but not sure what it does.

grid on/off means pressing [rec] twice?

It seems there’s a certain combo of actions that I haven’t narrowed down in the realm of recording, switching pattern/part, maybe stopping in the middle of recording, changing tempo, where you end up with tempo related attributes attached to the buffer that are no longer correct. This can mess up the pickups and by clearing the recorder buffer or clear slot in the audio editor, it wipes the related attributes and works again…
It’s only happened to me a few times and it never happens if I stick to my usual flow. I’m pretty sure it’s a strange order of logical actions that lead to this but I’m not sure why at that point they don’t get updated by just recording again… :thinking:

so, what is the officially sanctioned way of resetting buffer?

Function+Play while in recording setup and not in grid recording clears the recorder buffer and should do the trick… The full nuke is “clear slot” in the file section of the audio editor, but I think just the previous is enough to get pickups working again…

2 Likes

Grid on/off is just whether or not the recording light is on (solid red and not blinking red) where you can put trigs in the sequence. ‘Rearming’ is the same thing as reopening a bear trap that had snapped shut. In the case of the OT it would rearm any one-shot recorder trigs on your sequencer.

And in some cases (most of them, it seems) rearming of the pickup machine will make it record again when it’s telling you ‘dub aborted’

1 Like

i get surprises when starting to experiment with x1, x2 etc. buffets are containing previous (same session though!) material when starting over. only happens when length is OFF. why are they acting differently?

if i’m particularly happy with one loop and want to save it as a file, where is that one stored? got confused, had it in head earlier.

With 2 buffets I feel surprised usually. :ecstatic:

To access to Save Recordings :
FN+REC
FN+BANK
SAVE THIS RECORDING
or SAVE ALL RECORDINGS.

Recordings R1-R8 stay in buffer if you don’t change Projects or turned Ot down.
Samples can be saved and assigned in FLEX Recordings R1-R8.
Thats default behaviour, when you save all recordings.

ok i have this extremely annoying thing with PUM.

i’m playing a song in 79 bpm and want to make loops in PUM. OT want this to be 156 bpm instead and shifts to it.

my EAK doesn’t sync as good in 156 instead of 79 for some reason, does it have to be this way, that OT decides whether i want double tempo or not?