Squarp Pyramid [compilation topic]

I’ve only played the one show with it so far (just getting back into playing out after a few years). But I wouldn’t have any worries about stability at this point. I had a couple crashes with it pre-1.0, but they really did a good job of squashing any bugs prior to the 2.0 release and I haven’t seen any reports of issues since then. If anything, I’m impressed with how quick Squarp are to address issues. The most recent 2.2 update was basically a direct issue of me contacting them because I actually hit the RAM limits of the machine with a bunch of linear midi files I imported…a week later, they had a fix out (just tested it last night, and it indeed solved the problem).

1 Like

The changes between the Pyramid versions are basically cosmetic from what I can tell…I think the biggest difference is the larger, slightly recessed touchpad. Functionally, it’s the same. But Squarp are awesome, and if the second hand unit you found isn’t that great of a bargain and you like the looks of the newer hardware more I certainly recommend supporting them directly.

@darenager has owned the Carbon and Pyramid, so he can probably answer your questions best. IIRC he didn’t stay with the Carbon too long because of the limitations, and is now on his second Pyramid.

1 Like

Yeah I think I like the idea of going new if it’s gonna be a much treasured studio hub :slight_smile: Glad to hear it’s been stable for you as well, researching hardware sequencers got me trying out some new stuff in Bitwig with CC messages to my Analog keys I’ve not tried before, it was a lot of fun with Bitwig’s modulators but it just doesn’t feel right to me taking a computer on stage just for midi duties and I don’t trust it like a dedicated piece of hardware. Thanks for getting me closer to justifying it :wink:

1 Like

Yes the Carbon had a bunch of bugs and was a bit too restrictive for the price, the fly in the ointment though was the announcement from Kilpatrick that no new features would be added to the OS (unless users coded them) and this was within 12 months of the product launch, which really put me off. Fair enough if there are no bugs and the product feels complete, but for me the Carbon felt like a prototype albeit a nice looking one.

The Pyramid sure has its own quirks, but feels like a mature and considered product, and Squarp seem far more committed to their users, what I really like about the Pyramid is its open endedness in its structure, that is to say the user can freely mix data types and track parameters how they see fit, so although it can be used as a ‘dumb’ pattern sequencer it is not limited to only that.

WRT the difference in hardware, I had the first revision and now have the new look, the earlier version looks a little nicer I think, but the new version touchpad feels more precise and the painted graphics are clearer and more up to date with the OS.

4 Likes

hello,

i extended my setup by an squarp pyramid sequencer.

it’s no problem to start my synths like the 303 or a korg ms with the pyramid.

but i have problems with starting my AR with it. did anyone still connected and start it?

i connected it from pyramids “OUT A” to “AR Midi-In”. i tried to use different channel but it did not worked.

Which channel do i have to use, just to start the AR with the pyramid? it seems like every channel is used for one AR Track? but which one receives start and stop signals?

thanks for your help,
frederik

hi,

found the right settings at the pyramid.

I needed to change the midi out settings.

Press “2nd + FX” -> “MIDI-Out” -> “start/stop midi A” -> “send”

thanks.

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Squarp Hermod

Did you solve your problem? By staring you mean transport, I guess. You need to tell the AR to receive transport signals and tell the Pyramid to send the clock, on the chosen output. It was straightforward in my case. If you still have a problem, let me know if I can help.

so i’ve only read the quick start and most of this thread but I have some questions about tempo. What is the relationship of tracks/sequences/patterns patterns? Is there flexibility in sequencing tempo changes and the like?

Thanks

^ Well there is a BPM fx which can be automated or manually controlled to change global tempo, I have never used this feature personally but I should imagine it would do what you wanted, based on my experience using the other fx which are pretty flexible and robust.

Just have to say that I still don’t really get the point of the BPM fx…I’d find it much more useful if it operated per track instead of globally, so you could offset the track BPM from the global BPM to get some wild variations. But whatever, I don’t use every feature on my Monomachine either.

The Pyramid is still the single most important piece of gear I have, and I’m not sure how I ever worked without it. Very much looking forward to whatever the upcoming 3.0 update brings. If you’re on the fence but it seems useful to you, buy one.

4 Likes

Hi everyone!
Reposting my question from Squarp’s own forum, in the hopes that here I might get the answer sooner. This forum seems much more active, so who knows.
Thank you!

So:

Whenever I try to switch the “USB” line to “On” inside the “Misc” category I get this:

I want to run it through the BomeBox via usb but it seems like I got stuck on that error and on the BomeBox not seeing the Pyramid.
Like, at all.
But at the same time BomeBox sees everything else.
Help me if you can, please.

Edit:

Turns out that was a crash caused by (conclusion me and tech support came to) a faulty USB line. Replacing it made everything work.

1 Like

New OS! http://squarp.community/t/pyraos-v3-beta-now-available-to-download/825

CUSTOM CHORDS
DUPLICATE
CONSOLIDATE
5 FX PER TRACKS
ASSIGN PER TRACK
MASTER ASSIGN
ANALOG SYNC IN
NEW ARP STYLES
SEND CLOCK WHEN LOADING PROJECT
CC+NOTE DEFINTION
CALL INSTRUMENT
POLYMETRIC LOOPER
NEW SEQUENCE ACTIONS

http://squarp.net/PYRAOSV3.pdf

5 Likes

Hmm, looks like the note and cc definitions will be great for using Pyramid as a controller for the Elektrons!

1 Like

Wow that’s a beefy update :muscle:

1 Like

Always liked the look of this machine and great to see this update.
I wonder is it now ‘mature’ and what squarp have up their sleeve? There was there recent eurorack debut of course.
My QY700 is feeling a bit threatened as my old-synth-OTB-hub.

New arp modes: tasty update. Analogue clock input available now. Pamela’s new workout will have fun with that, she is such a good clock :wink:
I was under impression they were not going to add anymore features but just bug fix.
Great work Squarp !!

2 Likes

Great thanks to the Squarp Team for their gifts.

Wouaou, looks like cool upgrade of the OS.
I was waiting since long time, this sequencer gain in maturity.
Now let’s test the Beta.
Au travail les Pyramidos !

2 Likes

I really appreciate the custom chords. I didn’t try to reach the limits, but I made 8 notes chords on the smartpads, and it works. So it’s a major features that I was waiting for. Critical chords and Stravinsky’ones (for example) can be programmed. No more 4notes chords limitations, hability to quickly get upper or lower octaves.
So good, so fun.

1 Like

Was playing around with definitions for the Roland Boutiques today, such a fun setup using them with the Pyramid now, p-locking CC’s by name really makes a difference to the workflow and brings an almost Elektron style feel, something that is really cool is having cc locks on different tracks then using rotate to move the cc in relation to the notes.

It would be great if Elektron could implement definitions for external midi gear.

5 Likes

Just a heads up that there have been a couple of updates since, now you can have 16 definitions, analog sync in has start/stop option and some bug fixes.

Really enjoying all the new features on the Pyramid it is becoming a very powerful beast, I’d recommend it to anyone looking for a decent standalone midi sequencer.

7 Likes