Soundcraft Signature 12 MTK (multitrack usb mixer)

New optimization discoveries were made with USB 2.0 drivers years ago. Even Metric Halo, makers of the first FireWire audio interface for OS X, and known for their future proof hardware model, are moving toward USB.

But I have to ask why would latency be an issue when you have hardware monitoring via the mixer on the way in? Do you plan on doing lots of overdubs?

You might be interested in checking the Gearslutz thread which offers details on drivers, latency, and converter technology borrowed from other SoundCraft and Harmon product lines.

Adam,
did you finally pull the trigger on the SC 22 MTK ? If so, what is your opinion on this unit (ad/da converters, latency, etc).

I put a pre-order on this a couple of weeks ago, the 12 MTK,the release has been delayed until mid september. Looking forward to it NOT being delayed further.

No. Iā€™ll wait until theyā€™re actually shipping before I order.

Does anybody know if these MTK Mixers work in conjunction with Overbridge or any other Audio Interface?

They are supposed to be Core Audio, and therefore would be able to Aggregate in Mac OS, but you wouldnā€™t need to with Overbridgeā€¦
As far as Overbridge is concerned, itā€™s main benefit is used as a plug-in, not an audio interface seen by your DAW, and therefore OB devices should work fine with any audio interface in that context.
But still, the MTK mixers arenā€™t shipping yet, so there are no real world responses yet. Hypothetically, if your other audio interface is Core Audio, it should work in conjunction fine.

They are supposed to be Core Audio, and therefore would be able to Aggregate in Mac OS, but you wouldnā€™t need to with Overbridgeā€¦
As far as Overbridge is concerned, itā€™s main benefit is used as a plug-in, not an audio interface seen by your DAW, and therefore OB devices should work fine with any audio interface in that context.
But still, the MTK mixers arenā€™t shipping yet, so there are no real world responses yet. Hypothetically, if your other audio interface is Core Audio, it should work in conjunction fine.[/quote]
Thanks for the quick resoponse. I use a Windows Laptop with a NI Komplete Audio 6 Interface and if this doesnt work it means that i have to connect my Monitors directly to the Soundcraft Mixer.

But still, the MTK mixers arenā€™t shipping yet, so there are no real world responses yet. Hypothetically, if your other audio interface is Core Audio, it should work in conjunction fine.[/quote]
Thanks for the quick resoponse. I use a Windows Laptop with a NI Komplete Audio 6 Interface and if this doesnt work it means that i have to connect my Monitors directly to the Soundcraft Mixer.
[/quote]
What DAW are you using?
I would just use the Soundcraft for Input recording, and monitor though the mixer. Use the Komplete Audio 6 for DAW D/A playback.

Good idea! My Hs8 Montiros have two inputs as well one XLR and one quarter inch jack.
I could connect the XLR to the desk and the other one to my interface. This way i wouldnt have to turn on my computer everytime i want to jam. And if i want to record something i just have to change the audio driver in cubase from Komplete 6 to the Soundcraft driver.

If all this works the signature 22 mtk would be my dream mixing consoleā€¦

Now the Soundcraft 12 and 22 mtk mixers are further delayed until mid octoberā€¦ My bank account doesnt mind but my patience doesā€¦in this context, i just hate delays :slight_smile:

Same here ā€¦ My behringer mixer start to fall down, track after track, and I spare enough money (since 10month) to buy the MTK22 ā€¦ yesterday I was close to buy the FX16ii instead (without soundcard of course ā€¦)

I am still thinking which one would be better, 12mtk or 22mtk. What do you think?
I have Analog keys, four, rytm, octatrack, a blofeld, monotribe and still would want some free channel. Maybe ill change my preorder for a 22mtkā€¦
Its soo much more fun working with a hardware mixer than a daw in my opinion.

We never have enough inputs ā€¦ I will take the 22, I have space now, so I am not limited. Also, there is no stereo returns, so if you plan to use external fx, you will plug into one of the 22ins.

I love also to break out my MD or Rytm into several mono ins. At least the kick, to have a better control on it.

Any of you guys get one of these yet?

They are released on the 23rd of October.

I really wanted to get one of these initiallyā€¦Then I started thinking about how very few other manufacturers have released a truly multi-track USB device that can keep up. The lack of directs outs / insert ultimately killed it for me. Went with a Soundcraft FX16ii.

I am almost ready to go with the same solution, FX16ii, with direct outs and mains to the soundcard, and all my machine -> patchbay -> FX16ii ins (because I have a lot of outputs, but I dont need them to be plugged together).

It seems to be a more expensive solution, but at the end, I will have a lot of flexibility.

How sound the FX16ii in your opinions ?

It sounds fine. I had been using an old, early eighties, TOA rack mount mixer. It was an okay mixer. Lots and lots of features for rack mount, but it was very heavy and started spitting out random bit of static. I would say the 16ii is a big improvement.

I was leaning towards the KMI K-Mix but after reading that KMI lost their lead developer on that project and rethinking K-MIxā€™s touch faders vs. the physical knobs of the MTK 12, Iā€™m back to leaning towards that.

Iā€™m not in a hurry so Iā€™ll wait until I read reports from MTK owners who use the MTKs with iPads/laptops for the USB multi-channel audio.

As for 12 vs 22, Iā€™m more interested in the 12. My current mixer is still the Mackie 803-VLZ and I havenā€™t used all the inputs on that yet. It fits nicely in a case along with the Octatrack, with the audio cables already connected. The 22 is unlikely to fit.

Just checking in.
Anyone finally get one of these or are they still on hold?