Sound packs

I’ve noticed I’ve been doing a lot more sound design than actual track making on the Digitone. I’m sure the tracks will come soon, but in the meantime, I figured I might get some sound packs together with the aim of initially giving a variety/sample sound pack away for free, and then selling expanded versions for those looking for a specific sound.

Currently my sounds have been falling into the following categories:
:: Expressive lushness
:: Hard tech (following on from Hizmi’s demos and presets)
:: Precision minimalism and IDM (SND, Autechre etc)

Would this be something that Elektronauts would be interested in? I might just start putting stuff out there and see if people are into it.

Furthermore, if there are any types of sounds you have been trying to create on the Digitone, let me know in this thread and I’ll give it a go. Perhaps it could be the basis of a future sound pack :smiley:

16 Likes

Would you consider making a “Shutov” sound pack?

3 Likes

That could be an interesting exercise! Some of the ambient sounds I’ve been making have been close to that style, so it wouldn’t be too much of a departure.

super interested. keep us posted.

I’m interesting in seeing patches of sounds you would hear from artists such as EPROM, Ivy Lab, No Mana, beefy warm sounds that are kinda dnb evolved.

2 Likes

Iam sure Elektron will keep an eye on it :wink:
Cuckoo has made 40 patches and offer these at his online store.

2 Likes

Yea and I bought those immediately. Tbh I’m surprised that Elektron hasn’t comissioned @cuckoomusic to do sound packs for them. He basically helps sell their product on the daily.

4 Likes

Why don’t you just roll your own?
Best way to learn any instrument, and make it your own

1 Like

True, it’s not necissarily patch banks I’m looking for, but understanding how to get the sound I’m after. I keep making little breakthroughs each day tho as I realize the approaches to take to accomplish what I would do with various VSTs.

LFO’s as substitute for extra envelopes
P-locks as substitute for drawing automation lines

Reading up on old DX7 stuff has been helpful, but have to translate it to the Digitone workflow.

1 Like

Yeah basically I’d be making sound packs as a starting point. It’s always good to go through other people’s patches in order to find out new tricks etc.

Thanks for the response everyone! I’m gonna keep working on sounds and maybe release a 32 pack as a teaser at some point soon. Keep the suggestions coming!

Down for this one will give it a go too

I was in the same boat. I wanted to just get familiar with the sound engine first. It takes time to get into it, doesn’t it? It’s a cool engine that is pretty different from any other FM engine that I’ve tried. The XY mixer, the algorithms, the detune and everything.
It’s quick to make a crazy FM sound, but it takes a lot of trial and error and refinement to make something perfect.

8 Likes

Absolutely. It’s very different to any other synth I’ve used. It’s really catering to my love of precision though. Also, the extended features, as you say, really take it to the next level—especially when using the LFOs and velocity/aftertouch/etc!

I’ve made about 40 sounds so far, each fairly melodic but also pretty expressive. I’ve been making little loops and tracks as well, but honestly have been getting more satisfaction out of just playing the patches I made, without recording anything… which is a first for me!

2 Likes

I only had made 2 Chord Patches but it´s really fun without get stuck in the wrong direction. Really enjoy lately the fm synthesis. Started with a DX7 and ended up with a digitone :smiley:
Would be interested to listen what you have done pselodux :wink:

1 Like

I would love some kind of plastic pipe, wooden, bamboo type basses!

3 Likes

Good idea! Digitone is great for wooden sounds; I’ll explore plastic/bamboo as well.

1 Like

I would really like some more drum sounds. Does anyone know if there are any packs for DN as a drum machine?

1 Like

Great news!

I’ve made some drum sounds so far but I’ve mostly been concentrating on melodic sounds. It’s capable of some very menacing kicks though!

Sounds aside, thank you for sharing that! Some Eno I’d not heard.