Soo I think I lost my MnM data :(

I thought I had prepared for this but I must’ve misunderstood :frowning:

I wanted to load those AE patches so I went into the snapshot of the +drive and I saved what I had on my MnM to that first slot. I then called this slot “default” and loaded up Slot 2 which was blank. Then I transferred the AE sysex and now for some reason Slot 1 is just nothing. I go into global, file, +drive, snapshots, 1 (the one I called default, which is still named default oddly enough) and it’s gone. If I had to guess, this one is the factory presets that I’ve never actually seen before. Kits like Superwaves, Machine, Pulses, Igotgame.

So am I SOL? Should I have transferred my sysex to C6 before doing this?

Man this sucks…I had some really great tracks that took HOURS to make for my live set. Covers of My Girls by Animal Collective, The Comeback by Alex Cameron, The Air That I Breathe by the Hollies. I fiddled for ages to get that stuff to sound right and program in all the right notes, and now it’s all gone.

What’s weird is that it still has my Immortal Waves and Adventure Kid waves loaded in the digibanks so…Do those waves have nothing to do with sysex files? Does a sysex file just take up all of the data? Damn I thought snapshots sort of circumvented this stuff…Such a sadness.

Okay now I really don’t know what the hell is going on because when I tried to go back to the snapshot I labeled “Autechre” it loads nothing but GND SIN machines. So now I can’t even play the AE sounds for some reason?

I would think as long as you saved the snapshot it should still be there. You could try transferring the snapshot in question to and from a computer and see if that does anything.

That’s what I hoped but it doesn’t seem to be the case. And also my Autechre snapshot does nothing so…Is this a bug?

What model/os are you using? Ive lost a snapshot to not saving and loading another but never had one disappear like yours.

SFX 60+ Mk II, OS 1.32…Which I believe is the latest OS.

Reading this:

It seems like I did the right thing soo…Idk what the hell happened. I’m leaning toward this being a terribly unfortunate bug. Should’ve sent my sysex? Yes. Had all the reason in the world to believe it wasn’t necessary? Also yes.

What tells me it’s a bug and not a feature is that 1. My first Snapshot is still called Default, which I named it myself. 2. The second snapshot I called Autechre now just loads nothing when I go to it. 3. The digibank waves I uploaded are still on the machine.

EDIT: And keep in mind I didn’t even power off or anything. I transferred the AE sysex, played with it for a couple hours, then went back to Snapshot 1 (Default) and noticed that it didn’t have my patches. Thinking I must’ve done something wrong, I went back to the AE snapshot only to find it completely empty. I’ve since powered my MnM off and on, but it’s the same.

best thing to do when trying/testing things out is always a backup of all your valuable data…saying this of course won’t help much in this case but maybe it will the next time :expressionless:
on the other hand, can you load any of the patterns you created before loading the SysEx? are any of the sounds you created somewhere? :crossed_fingers:

Afaik, digibanks exist independently of the snapshots on the +drive. So those being ok is expected behavior.

1 Like

Nope. The only place they’d be is on my computer if I’d had the foresight to upload my sysex, which I ALMOST did but said to myself “Well it should be fine anyway because I’m just going to load it to a second snapshot.”

Part of me thinks I misunderstood what a snapshot IS (I mean it’s all your kit and pattern data and all that, right?) but after reading the manual it seems like I understood it perfectly and I’ve had some sort of freak accident.

Ah, that’s really rough. Almost sounds like it’s done an “empty reset”. Where It clears everything except your user waves. But even in that case it should only clear the battery-backed data, ie, the currently loaded snapshot (and not erased any saved snapshots). Saved snaps should still be re-loadable. Maybe it factory reset actually? That wipes out the first snapshot and the first digibank and replaces them with the factory presets. Weird. Does sound like a bug or glitch.

Have you tried running the self-test from the early startup menu?

1 Like

I have not tried running a self-test. How could I do this and how could it help?

It’s weird that it would do an “empty reset” and still keep the names of my two snapshots: Default and Autechre. Doesn’t sound like much of a reset to me…

No, you’ve understood that right, you can’t save multiple snapshots in one sysex and it doesn’t load them like that. It loads what you tell it to load but even when selecting “all”, the totality of that is patterns + kits + songs + global settings. It shouldn’t wipe any other snapshot than the one you’re on. Pretty sure that’s the case, anyway.

1 Like

Hold function when powering on and select TESTMODE from the menu (trig key 1).

“Empty reset” clears all the currently loaded kit/pattern/song/global data, including the loaded snapshot (but shouldn’t clear the saved state of that snapshot). It leaves user waves alone.

Wow what a fucking nasty, insidious bug. I really can’t believe this. It also boggles my mind that the Autechre snapshot is just empty now. How fucking insane.

The worst thing is I’d have to just redo those songs…Now that I have a better understanding of how song mode works and the actual structure of those songs it’ll be more copy and pasting than fishing and learning. Still, programming those Dens chords is a BITCH sometimes, especially because you can’t input them in with a keyboard. At least all my MD data is still alive and well…

I had a bunch of other patches too, but I wasn’t as attached to those. They were more just playthings.

that’s weird indeed as it’s keeping both names you assigned…

DRAM OK
SRAM OK
DSP2 OK
DSP1 OK

:man_shrugging:

If you don’t save it, it’ll disappear, even when you load via sysex. Which is even more crazy given your situation.

It sucks, but at times like this all you can really do is consider it a fresh start…

1 Like

Checked the manual and it sounds like a factory reset to me. I assume the Autechre snapshot you made is empty because you never actually saved it. It’s cleared the battery-backed data that was loaded into it, and replaced the first snapshot with the factory presets. I don’t know if that would normally rename the first snapshot in the process though.

Ah okay. At least that part makes sense. I’ll re-upload them and SAVE THEM this time I guess.

Jesus now that I’m thinking about it maybe I never actually saved Snapshot 1 and all I did was rename it…In which case, once I loaded snapshot 2 it wouldn’t have actually kept all my saved stuff from 1, would it have? Dear God. It’s almost worse knowing I did this to myself LOL

You can actually change this behaviour. By default it does not save the snapshot you’re on when you load another one. You have to do that manually. You can change it to a setting that always saves before it loads the next one in.

Does seem like that’s what might have happened. :frowning:

1 Like

I’ve done this a couple times and it’s entirely plausible that it’s what happened in your case. If this is what happened everything is gone as it was never saved.