[SOLVED] AR latency in Ableton Live via Overbridge

This is the current expected latency.

In AR I set overbridge mode which means that I sync via overbridge by connecting AR to my PC via USB. In AR in MIDI I set transport and clock to receive.

Yes, I tried that of course. It didn’t help at all.

154, what you mean by “expected”? This latency is noticeable by ear and to me it is not acceptable, I am just hearing that my AR drops out of the mix because it is playing not in sync with my modular gear and VSTs…

Just noticed Ableton shows a latency for each plugin and for AR it is shown as 23.3 ms… Anyone know how to compensate for that? I can hear AR using direct monitoring via my sound interface but I want the recording to be in sync with my DAW. Individual track delay compensation does not work for me :frowning:

Current latency for Overbridge is 28ms and higher, which is indeed somewhat problematic. Hopefully in the future they will fix this. For now Overbridge is only suited for tracking, not jamming.

Current beta has even higher latency due to the new sync roundtrip. Sync is supertight, but the overall latency is again not for live playing and monitoring, only for tracking.

On my setup, OB sync has too much jitter to be be usable (~6ms), and the usb audio latency drifts around from 0-20ms so that its not possible to compensate for it.
Hopefully this will get fixed soon.

I found a workaround just for recording - set the midi clock synd delay to -25 (you should find a value that works for you) to compensate midi clock for the delay. At least the recording will be in sync in DAW. You can direct monitor AR with the headphones to play LIVE and at the same time get a synced recording in DAW. Also you can sync other gear with AR’s midi out port. But then you have to mess with driver error compensation…

UPDATE for everyone with the same problem!

I get in contact with elektron’s support - Simon, and here is a workaround he suggested:
-remove overbridge
-remove sound card drivers
-restart pc
-factory reset analog rytm (you can sysex dump your projects)
-install everything back (you can sysex receive back all your projects, hard reset wont affect +drive file system and all samples will be there is the same folders).

Now sync is tight as f*ck!

If you are reading this and still have problems be sure to check that “Delay compensation” in Ableton is turned on since Overbridge heavily relays on this feature:

And be sure to check that “Sync Analog Rytm sequencer to host:”

2 Likes

I’m having this exact amount of delay when recording the AR from OB. Will this fix the issue on OS X El Capitan, too?

Interesting. So, what is Ableton reporting as the AR’s latency now?

Yes its the same here. OB 1.10 uses a longer latency to prevent Jitter. Its easier to compensate a steady latency than a latency that changes. The new OB has an extra buffer which is at “100” when you start it the first time. At my setup I have up to 45 ms of reported Latency. When I lower the extra buffer it goes down 5 ms for every step (@48 kHz), but it becomes a bit unstable, so I leave it at 100.

Turn “Latency compensation” on in Live and “reduced latency for monitoring” off. Then its super tight when you run AR or A4 over a MIDI-Sequence in live. But its not good for live play, finger drumming etc. this is better done directly on the hardware without the computer connected inbetween. record that directly on the sequencer in A4 /AR. Unfortunately the sequencers dont speak MIDI, so you can only transfer the audio form the sequences to the DAW. Look at it as a barrier that will push your creativity :wink:

greetings,
Goat

1 Like

I’m finding that it works great when Live is the master, but when I sync Live to an external clock OB is always delayed by 30ms or so.

Anyone have any ideas to remedy the latency issue when using an external clock?

BTW, I’m on OSX El Capitan using Live 8.

1 Like

Looks like the same issue I’m having is also being experienced in this thread.

http://www.elektronauts.com/t/overbridge-sync-w-live-cv-and-midi-clock-out-early/13872/141478

and their solution was to use track delays to get things back in time (either the OB tracks or anything non-OB being recorded). Though, it seems like track delay only works when Reduced Latency while Monitoring option is on and when the tracks that you delay are grouped.

Can anyone confirm this or any other ways that might resolve the issue I’m having?

[/quote]
Ableton was showing 32ms as latency for the A4 plug in. I deleted the plugin and inserted it again and now it’s showing 0ms. When I play it using Push 1 controller, I get zero latency now. Before deleting and inserting a new instance, I was getting noticeable delay (latency).

And when I say delete and insert new, I don’t mean reinstalling. Just inserting a new instance of the plug in on to the midi track.

Problem is, press play & stop on Live and the latency is back. Latency killin’ me over here…

Hi Open_Mike … you are right … I deleted my comment as it has false info … you can delete yours also … I get it now … I was changing the sample rate in Ableton Preferences but I wasn’t considering the sample rate and buffer size on my interface.

2 Likes

Can you sync the Rytm to playback and keep time when you press play in Ableton live without using USB/Overbridge or any other external hardware?

Might find some tips here.

Same problem now in 2020. Sometimes it’s ok, sometimes it’s not. Removing plugin from track and reinserting it fixes is, but after a short while it’s bad again.
I don’t think it’s an actual problem in Overbridge, rather in Ableton itself, because it seems to be just fine with Bitwig so far…

Ugh, I am going through this now on a Monterey M1 Mac. It works well with 2ms latency and then the next take the latency is 8ms. I have no idea how to fix this, but I can’t have different takes at different latencies…that ruins the whole thing.

1 Like