Solved A4 to Mother 32 CV

where did those values come from ???
keep it simple
to start with, get in the right ballpark
try c2 +1v c5 +4v (ie 1v per octave in a mid range)
the moog may not be exactly 1v (possibly a little less)
then shift the octaves (ie notes) to suit your instrument’s range - it may have a broad or narrow sweet spot
if that’s not even remotely right then make sure your synth is in a vanilla state re mods etc
the guide printed in OS update notes explains how to fine tune
don’t forget to Not touch the Moog keyboard after you start tuning - make sure you know the last note sent to it, i believe some don’t start off playing a c, so you could be auditioning the wrong pitch

Tested with the M-32 we have here in the office.

My results was:

Note1 C5
Voltage1 0.000V
Note2 C6
Voltage2 0.994V

The frequency knob on the M-32 is at the centre mark.

The settings are individual but should be quite close to this.

The M-32 tracks very well within a few cents over 4 octaves.

As avantronica says the keyboard on the M-32 offsets the pitch. Play a C and keep your hands off it :slight_smile:

/Olle

2 Likes

works 100 %.

Big Thanks!

Was unable to tune that myself. Was just trial and error putting voltages in there.

This will be VERY useful for a lot of users!

Thanks Olle

where did those values come from ???
keep it simple
to start with, get in the right ballpark
try c2 +1v c5 +4v (ie 1v per octave in a mid range)
the moog may not be exactly 1v (possibly a little less)
then shift the octaves (ie notes) to suit your instrument’s range - it may have a broad or narrow sweet spot
if that’s not even remotely right then make sure your synth is in a vanilla state re mods etc
the guide printed in OS update notes explains how to fine tune
don’t forget to Not touch the Moog keyboard after you start tuning - make sure you know the last note sent to it, i believe some don’t start off playing a c, so you could be auditioning the wrong pitch[/quote]
damn, I did not not touch the M32 keyboard… thanks avantronica

did you do that in OS 1.22 with the broken YES functionality? …when I change voltages 1 and / or

voltage 2, goddamnit, now it does work, but it did not 1 reboot ago.

and press middle C on the mini keyboard, the pitch does not change
also when i press middle C and change note 1, the pitch does not change.
it does change for note2

1 Like

did you do that in OS 1.22 with the broken YES functionality? …when I change voltages 1 and / or

voltage 2, goddamnit, now it does work, but it did not 1 reboot ago.

and press middle C on the mini keyboard, the pitch does not change
also when i press middle C and change note 1, the pitch does not change.
it does change for note2[/quote]
Yes, I used the 1.22 by pressing the A4s small keyboard C and then C one octave up instead of using the Yes functionality. It’s fixed in 1.23(not released yet).

Sssshhhhhh!
Don’t mention 1.23 , it’ll send people mental.

Really? OS1.23 will have corrected all of the CV pitch tracking bugs coming from Track 1-4? Will it come in the next weeks or months? Was just about to downgrade to previous OS, but then i’ll wait!

so, what are these bugs, how do you replicate ?

basically its all about this:

yea sure, I already asked you in that thread too, but I cannot replicate, I see no issue when using any track as the source, that’s why I am asking, how do you replicate ? if it’s a bug, it’ll be repeatable … then it can get fixed (or avoided in the meantime) …

note to self :

do not press the keyboard on the M32 … it has to be in the middle c position!

2 Likes

Hi!

I don’t fully get this. The M32 firmly states that it is 1v/octave. 0.006v is not a big difference but it may be significant in a musical context (I am unsure).
Is this normal in the modular world? Any thoughts? :slight_smile:

Yes, it’s nominally 1v/octave … there’s at least one moog where the nominal 1.0 is actually closer to 9.8ish iirc … it’s not something the rest of the modular world would strive to do, it ought to be very close to 1.0v / octave … so that’s why it’s useful that the A4 has this option … it also accounts for its own variations if it hasn’t been calibrated recently (if drifted) … so whilst it may report 0.995 it may be 1.0v on a pro voltmeter … the important thing is that the A4 at least allows fine tuning … many sequencers do not

2 people with the same CV synth and A4 could easily find that they need subtly different values to get correct tuning … perfectly normal

2 Likes

Thanks! I wonder if I can trust the m32 built in MIDI converter (or sequencer) based on this…

Wow. Don’t play the m32 after tuning. Slap in the face…

Everything is in tune but I have some issues when sending a gate signal from the A4 to the M32. Polarity V-TRIG and level 5.0 V.

When sequencing 1/16 notes for a whole bar the m32 sometimes doesn’t play some notes. There are no trig condition or notes entered in the m32 sequencer. Double checked that the length of the note is actually 1/16.

Any idea why?

because the default gate length is just too long - it’s 100% of a step - if you shorten to 99% or less it will have time to drop voltage to re-gate robustly

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing. I’ll try it right now.

Trying to understand why that’s the case. Guess the current speed isn’t a fixed value then ¯_(ツ)_/¯

it’s more prevalent when external clock is used

1 Like

Interesting, it makes sense in a way of course but something that I wouldn’t have thought of.

Everything works like a charm. Can’t wait to send the power of the A4 to that synth.

1 Like